Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LOL INTERNETS
Command Prompt is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2005, 05:30 AM        Screw University
I'm dropping out. I've decided to be a paramedic. Two of my friends are doing it and it seems like its for me. I talked to some paramedics today and apparantly I have to be cross trained as a paramedic AND a firman and then I get to choose from there. I don't know how they do it in real cities but here we have a severely underfunded emergency system and firemen are trained as EMS first responders (or they used to be apparantly) and are sent first to an accident and apparantly sometimes the firetruck takes people to the hospital because they literally run out of ambulances. :/

Anyways, being a paramedic sounds alot cooler than my original plan of getting a psych degree and then continuing to not know what to do with my life.

Hey Carni, your a paramedic. Any advice?
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 19th, 2005, 08:56 AM       
If you continue with psych, you could analyze yourself to find out why you don't know what you want to do.
LIVE @ THE GHETTO HILTON!
jin is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:21 AM       
I do psych too, and im dropping out because i don't know what to do either. :<

Only my plan is going to Japan for a year, not become a paramedic. ;<
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2005, 10:29 AM       
A university degree is great and all, but not nearly as important as it used to be (especially in Canada). I'm still working on my degree part-time, but it seems a little pointless when I already manage people who have their Masters in Software Engineering. Work experience is worth a lot more, in my opinion. The degree just gets your foot in the door. If all else fails, lie about it - nobody ever asks to see it unless it's for visa purposes.
Mocker
Dole is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:14 AM       
If I went to Screw University, I wouldn't drop out.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:21 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundtest
A university degree is great and all, but not nearly as important as it used to be (especially in Canada). I'm still working on my degree part-time, but it seems a little pointless when I already manage people who have their Masters in Software Engineering. Work experience is worth a lot more, in my opinion. The degree just gets your foot in the door. If all else fails, lie about it - nobody ever asks to see it unless it's for visa purposes.
Degrees really don't matter as much as they used to. I was getting all these really good web jobs and beating out people with degrees simply cuz I had more web work experience rather than just someone who took a bunch o' classes. Colleges at the time were so behind when it came to the web that the stuff they were teaching was already outdated by a good year or two. :o
Fuck Yeah
McClain is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:33 AM        Re: Screw University
Quote:
Originally Posted by Command Prompt
Two of my friends are doing it and it seems like its for me.
Last edited by Chojin : Jan 1st, 2000 at 12:01 AM.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2005, 11:46 AM       
degrees still matter in a LOT of fields, and there are still plenty computer jobs where if you don't have a degree on your resume they won't even consider you. that's not to say you can't do well without a degree, but i think this current attitude of "my time in college was a waste" is a dangerous one, even if i tend to agree with it often.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:02 PM       
I think we can all agree that having a degree is better than not having a degree, but I don't think a degree is worth as much as it used to be in the job market, especially in IT. Universities have been giving out CS and Engineering degrees like candy, completely devaluing their worth. Now the market is saturated with people who are "Computer Scientists" but can't troubleshoot Windows, let alone program their way out of a paper bag.

All things equal, I'd wager that most employers would go for the candidate with significant work experience over someone who simply holds a degree, even if they require their applicants to be degree holders. Obviously having both is the ideal.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2005, 01:10 PM       
while (1)
{
printf("Get me out of this bag!\n");
if (vdegree == "BS")
break;
}
Fuck Yeah
McClain is probably a spambot
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:35 PM       
I don't typically recite quotes from rap albums, but Kanye West has a sketch on his CD about the excess pursuit of education. Most of it is lame, but at the end is the following line:

"No I’ve never had sex but you know what, my degree keeps me satisfied. When a lady walks to me says 'Hey, you know what's sexy?' I say 'No, I don’t know what it is, but I bet I can add up all the change in your purse very fast”.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old May 19th, 2005, 03:27 PM       
A degree is still worth having for programming jobs. Most places will only hire you if you have a degree, regardless of what you know outside. It's more of a standards thing rather than a "you know a, b and c" thing.