Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 09:07 AM        My ideal military strikes again!
source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2003Apr2.html

edit: This woman opened up a West (By God) Virginia ultra-sized can of whoop-ass on these Iraqi mofos. Wounded and STILL fought to the death. I guess Max's army would have surrendered as soon as the first bullet was fired. I'd love nothing more than to shake this woman's hand and buy her a steak and lobster dinner. I salute a better person that I will ever be, ma'am.

'She Was Fighting to the Death'
Details Emerging of W. Va. Soldier's Capture and Rescue

By Susan Schmidt and Vernon Loeb
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, April 3, 2003; Page A01

Pfc. Jessica Lynch, rescued Tuesday from an Iraqi hospital, fought fiercely and shot several enemy soldiers after Iraqi forces ambushed the Army's 507th Ordnance Maintenance Company, firing her weapon until she ran out of ammunition, U.S. officials said yesterday.

Lynch, a 19-year-old supply clerk, continued firing at the Iraqis even after she sustained multiple gunshot wounds and watched several other soldiers in her unit die around her in fighting March 23, one official said. The ambush took place after a 507th convoy, supporting the advancing 3rd Infantry Division, took a wrong turn near the southern city of Nasiriyah.

"She was fighting to the death," the official said. "She did not want to be taken alive."

Lynch was also stabbed when Iraqi forces closed in on her position, the official said, noting that initial intelligence reports indicated that she had been stabbed to death. No official gave any indication yesterday, however, that Lynch's wounds had been life-threatening.

Several officials cautioned that the precise sequence of events is still being determined, and that further information will emerge as Lynch is debriefed. Reports thus far are based on battlefield intelligence, they said, which comes from monitored communications and from Iraqi sources in Nasiriyah whose reliability has yet to be assessed. Pentagon officials said they had heard "rumors" of Lynch's heroics but had no confirmation.

There was no immediate indication whether Lynch's fellow soldiers killed in the ambush were among the 11 bodies found by the Special Operations commandos who rescued Lynch at Saddam Hussein Hospital in Nasiriyah. U.S. officials said that at least some of the bodies are believed to be those of U.S. servicemen. Two were found in the hospital's morgue, and nine were found in shallow graves on the grounds outside.

Seven soldiers from the 507th are still listed as missing in action following the ambush. Five others, four men and a woman, were taken captive after the attack. Video footage of the five has been shown on Iraqi television, along with grisly pictures of at least four soldiers killed in the battle.

Lynch, of Palestine, W.Va., arrived yesterday at a U.S. military hospital in Germany. She was in "stable" condition, with broken arms and a broken leg in addition to the gunshot and stab wounds, sources said. Other sources said both legs and one arm were broken. Victoria Clarke, a Pentagon spokeswoman, gave no specifics of Lynch's condition, telling reporters only that she is "in good spirits and being treated for injuries."

But one military officer briefed on her condition said that while Lynch was conscious and able to communicate with the U.S. commandos who rescued her, "she was pretty messed up." Last night Lynch spoke by telephone with her parents, who said she was in good spirits, but hungry and in pain.

"Talk about spunk!" said Sen. Pat Roberts (R-Kan.), whom military officials had briefed on the rescue. "She just persevered. It takes that and a tremendous faith that your country is going to come and get you."

One Army official said that it could be some time before Lynch is reunited with her family, since experience with those taken prisoner since the Vietnam War indicates that soldiers held in captivity need time to "decompress" and reflect on their ordeal with the help of medical professionals.

"It's real important to have decompression time before they get back with their families to assure them that they served their country honorably," the official said. "She'll meet with Survival, Escape, Resistance and Evasion psychologists. These are medical experts in dealing with this type of things."

At Central Command headquarters in Qatar, Brig. Gen. Vincent Brooks showed a brief night-vision video clip of commandos rushing Lynch, on a stretcher, to a Black Hawk helicopter. Later, television networks showed footage of her arriving in Germany.

One intriguing account of Lynch's captivity came from an unidentified Iraqi pharmacist at Saddam Hussein Hospital who told Sky News, a British network, that he had cared for her and heard her crying about wanting to be reunited with her family.

"She said every time, about wanting to go home," said the pharmacist, who was filmed at the hospital wearing a white medical coat over a black T-shirt. "She knew that the American Army and the British were on the other side of the [Euphrates] river in Nasiriyah city. . . . She said, 'Maybe this minute the American Army [will] come and get me.' " The only injuries the pharmacist said he was aware of were to Lynch's leg, but there was no way to evaluate his statement.

Lynch's rescue at midnight local time Tuesday was a classic Special Operations raid, with U.S. commandos in Black Hawk helicopters engaging Iraqi forces on their way in and out of the medical compound, defense officials said.

Acting on information from CIA operatives, they said, a Special Operations force of Navy SEALs, Army Rangers and Air Force combat controllers touched down in blacked-out conditions. An AC-130 gunship, able to fire 1,800 rounds a minute from its 25mm cannon, circled overhead, as did a reconnaissance aircraft providing video imagery of the operation as it unfolded.

"There was shooting going in, there was some shooting going out," said one military officer briefed on the operation. "It was not intensive. There was no shooting in the building, but it was hairy, because no one knew what to expect. When they got inside, I don't think there was any resistance. It was fairly abandoned."

Meanwhile, U.S. Marines advanced in Nasiriyah to divert whatever Iraqi forces might still have been in the area.

The officer said that Special Operations forces found what looked like a "prototype" Iraqi torture chamber in the hospital's basement, with batteries and metal prods.

Briefing reporters at Central Command headquarters, Brooks said the hospital apparently was being used as a military command post. Commandos whisked Lynch to the Black Hawk helicopter that had landed inside the hospital compound, he said, while others remained behind to clear the hospital.

The announcement of the raid was delayed for more than an hour because some U.S. troops were on the ground longer than anticipated, Brooks said. "We wanted to preserve the safety of the forces," he said.

Correspondent Alan Sipress in Qatar and staff writer Dana Priest contributed to this report.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:52 AM       
Are you still a "Reclining Chair Rambo", Vince? SGT Chaos wants you to report to your army recruiting station ASAP! Uncle Sam needs a few good human shields.

P.S. While admire PFC Lynch's bravery under the conditions I hope this reply in no way takes away from that, Vince's movie mentality of the army is REALLY hitting a nerve. Nothing would please me more than to see him mess his panties before he even gets out of basic training.

Wherever you go, there you are.

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:00 AM       
Would if I could, would if I could, my friend.

Actually, Kelly, it does. Because deep down, you have to have something inside you that realizes that people such as myself have our opinions from what we see and what we hear from the brave ones among us who were in the military and are the same exact way. War movies do not influence my way of thinking, because a movie is a movie, it is fake and created by Hollywood. Reality influences the way I think. And what makes you so sure that I would "mess my panties" in boot camp? I would do what I was told to train me to be the best solider I can be. To do my duty to my country. I find it truly amazing all the people that are so gung-ho about me enlisting have never gave their experiences about enlistment or trying to join the military. There are reasons why I can not join, which I have stated time and time and time again ad nauseam. What is everyone else’s excuse?
Mocker

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:29 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
Would if I could, would if I could, my friend.

Actually, Kelly, it does. Because deep down, you have to have something inside you that realizes that people such as myself have our opinions from what we see and what we hear from the brave ones among us who were in the military and are the same exact way.
I'm not trying to downplay her bravery, Vince. I'm simply saying that the army is built on teamwork and that, while her actions are uncommonly brave, to say the least, that is not exactly a typical situation. In other words, you're taking her actions of context and try to draw some dopey "blood and guts" picture which glorifies violence from an example of a girl that was more than likely scared shitless as anyone would be. You dehumanizing her. If anything, the fact that she was scared shitless and STILL did these things makes her more of a hero in my eyes.

Quote:
War movies do not influence my way of thinking, because a movie is a movie, it is fake and created by Hollywood. Reality influences the way I think.
Man, you're projecting Hollywood all over this example RIGHT FRIGGIN NOW. That's what makes me think Hollywood affects your thinking.

Quote:
And what makes you so sure that I would "mess my panties" in boot camp?
Because you can't even deal with THIS reality.

Quote:
I would do what I was told to train me to be the best solider I can be. To do my duty to my country.
There's a lot of "woulds" in there. Since I haven't had the opportunity to hear why you "can't", care to enlighten me? I could and I did..

Quote:
I find it truly amazing all the people that are so gung-ho about me enlisting have never gave their experiences about enlistment or trying to join the military.
What do you want to know? That many soldiers receive only rudimentary combat training because their jobs aren't combat arms. That those soldiers that are the most "gung ho" are the ones that often "freeze up". That what PFC Lynch faced is likely something someone of her training is usually unlikely to face ... that she was probably scared shitless ... that she probably reacted better than some that ARE trained in that area of combat which makes her even MORE special ... that's the reality I KNOW ... and that's why I can empathize with her more than you can with your "Rambo" dreams so just STFU about something of which you know nothing.

Quote:
What is everyone else’s excuse?
I already served. Waitin' on you, buddy.

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 11:46 AM       
Quote:
I'm not trying to downplay her bravery, Vince. I'm simply saying that the army is built on teamwork and that, while her actions are uncommonly brave, to say the least, that is not exactly a typical situation. In other words, you're taking her actions of context and try to draw some dopey "blood and guts" picture which glorifies violence from an example of a girl that was more than likely scared shitless as anyone would be. You dehumanizing her. If anything, the fact that she was scared shitless and STILL did these things makes her more of a hero in my eyes.
Of course this isn't common place. I am grateful that our military is so great that it isn't. The only reason I take her actions out of context is because I am doing it for a selfish reason. I am doing it because I want to get under Max's skin. In Max's army, she would have surrendered. But the way I have been told and the way I believe it is that at that percise moment that she needed to kill or be killed, she did not wig out. She did not fault. She did not give up. That is great and something that I wish I could be able to do, but I can not say I would do in the same situation.

Quote:
Man, you're projecting Hollywood all over this example RIGHT FRIGGIN NOW. That's what makes me think Hollywood affects your thinking.
If Hollywood affected my thinking, I would be a liberal. Thus, I am not.

Quote:
Because you can't even deal with THIS reality.
I love the general assumption that you don't believe that I can deal with THIS reality. Trust me, I have a nice frim grasp on the world around me. I want to and have had to.

Quote:
There's a lot of "woulds" in there. Since I haven't had the opportunity to hear why you "can't", care to enlighten me? I could and I did..
Already said why I can not. A few reasons I have stated time and time again and some I don't feel the need to state. And I congradulate you on your service. Thank you for helping to keep this county free and safe.

Quote:
What do you want to know? That many soldiers receive only rudimentary combat training because their jobs aren't combat arms. That those soldiers that are the most "gung ho" are the ones that often "freeze up". That what PFC Lynch faced is likely something someone of her training is usually unlikely to face ... that she was probably scared shitless ... that she probably reacted better than some that ARE trained in that area of combat which makes her even MORE special ... that's the reality I KNOW ... and that's why I can empathize with her more than you can with your "Rambo" dreams so just STFU about something of which you know nothing.
So, I should STFU because I am only relaying my own experiences with using weapons, talking and listening to my family who served in the military in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and GWI? I shouldn't listen to my co-workers who were in the military and in combat? I shouldnt talk even thought I have had experiences with using weapons to defend myself? I guess I should just not talk about what I have experienced, seen and heard. I have never been in combat, but I know about protecting myself. Sorry if that upsets you about my "Hollywood" influenced life, but the truth is truth.
Mocker

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:05 PM       
Quote:
If Hollywood affected my thinking, I would be a liberal. Thus, I am not.
So ... OK ... that WAS kind of funny.

Quote:
I love the general assumption that you don't believe that I can deal with THIS reality. Trust me, I have a nice frim grasp on the world around me. I want to and have had to.
The "this" I was referring to was the woman of the story. You don't know how to truly empathize with her and it shows. That comes with experience. You try to give it this big rambo-izing. She's a person, Vince. That's what I'm saying.

Quote:
Thank you for helping to keep this county free and safe.
Thank you ... but you're still not getting my Bud Light.

Quote:
So, I should STFU because I am only relaying my own experiences with using weapons, talking and listening to my family who served in the military in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and GWI? I shouldn't listen to my co-workers who were in the military and in combat? I shouldnt talk even thought I have had experiences with using weapons to defend myself? I guess I should just not talk about what I have experienced, seen and heard. I have never been in combat, but I know about protecting myself. Sorry if that upsets you about my "Hollywood" influenced life, but the truth is truth.
Yeah, well I used to go deer hunting a lot as a teenager. Trust me, it's different. Funny, I don't like to pick up weapons or hunt anymore. It's not that I've become some big syrupy liberal or anything. I just take it a lot more seriously than I used to. Somehow I imagine you playing paintball on the weekends with your buddies. Trust me, though. I still know how to use a weapon but you can bet that if I pick up a weapon I won't be "playing war" and it won't be paint. That's the difference.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:06 PM       
Are you still here?
Mocker

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:11 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS
Are you still here?
Hey, I'm doing my best.

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 12:28 PM       
Quote:
So ... OK ... that WAS kind of funny
I try to be funny at times. I thank you for your encouragement.

Quote:
The "this" I was referring to was the woman of the story. You don't know how to truly empathize with her and it shows. That comes with experience. You try to give it this big rambo-izing. She's a person, Vince. That's what I'm saying.
I cant empathize with her at all, becuse I have never been in that situation. Most people on this planet haven't. And she is a person, a very brave person who when it came time to put up or shut up, she put up until the gun went *click*. That takes courage and guts, and I bet she was fetal-position crying afraid. But she bucked up and did what she needed to do. That is all I ask of people who serve and all I would ask of people like myself. Be like this brave woman, not the little mama's boy in San Francisco.

Quote:
Yeah, well I used to go deer hunting a lot as a teenager. Trust me, it's different. Funny, I don't like to pick up weapons or hunt anymore. It's not that I've become some big syrupy liberal or anything. I just take it a lot more seriously than I used to. Somehow I imagine you playing paintball on the weekends with your buddies. Trust me, though. I still know how to use a weapon but you can bet that if I pick up a weapon I won't be "playing war" and it won't be paint. That's the difference.
I've went deer hunting, but that is totally different. I don't want to shoot anyone or anything unless I have to. But believe you me that if my family, country, friends, co-workers, fellow citizens, God, whoever is threatened, that person that is doing something against them won't live. And I don't like paintball. If I am going to point a firearm at someone, it's going to be for real and its going to be to injure them or to exit their soul from their body. I don't mess around with weapons. They are used to destroy and kill. Not to play around with.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:26 PM       
" There are reasons why I can not join, which I have stated time and time and time again ad nauseam."

You almost died once and fainted another time from a condition you can't recall the name of and don't wear an ID bracelet for becuase your Doctor said you shouldn't worry about it, but the army seems to think is important enough to deny you service. AND your Mom who's a nurse doesn't know euther or you haven't asked her. Forgive me for finding that even less credible than the Submarine letter you dared us to ask you to post tht it turns out you threw away. Care to explain any of this? Or would you rather just say "I'm a huge compulsive liar, but I'm not very good at it yet" and be done with it?

" The only reason I take her actions out of context is because I am doing it for a selfish reason. I am doing it because I want to get under Max's skin."

A.) I'm sure she'd be pleased you're using her personal story for selfish purposes. Way to suppport the troops.
B.) There is no room for you under my skin. Unless you 'overtold' your weight a lot.

" the way I have been told and the way I believe it is that at that percise moment that she needed to kill or be killed, she did not wig out. She did not fault. She did not give up. That is great and something that I wish I could be able to do, but I can not say I would do in the same situation. "

Aside from the amazingly bad syntax, you HAVE said you'd do the same in that situation OVER and OVER and OVER. It's top of the list on why you are so loathsome, which is something, becuase it's very long list.

"A few reasons I have stated time and time again and some I don't feel the need to state."
Oooooooh, secret reasons! C'mon, Vince, share! What is it? Flat feet? Crohns disease? Shy testicle syndrome? Farmer's Pants? Or is it that in reality it's hard to sign up when you've never been within hundred yrds of a recruiting station, thrown away Submarine letter boy?

"because I am only relaying my own experiences with using weapons, "

Okay, now, you don't hunt, you don't paint ball and you wouldn't pick up a gun unless you meant to use it, so what experience with weapons have you had? Archery? Laser Tag? Lawn Darts? Really vivid imaginary play?

"I shouldnt talk even thought I have had experiences with using weapons to defend myself?"
You know, I could be wrong, but I sense a really dramatic story involving some bad ass nun-chuck ninja action that ends with Vince puttin the fear in some low life crinimal scum. On a Submarine. Hive free.

"I've went deer hunting, but that is totally different."

Okay, enough is enough, I've GONE deer hunting, I've BEEN deer hunting, but only a moron says I've WENT deer hunting. Do you not speek english? Are you brain damaged? Learning disabled? What the hell is wrong with you?!

" If I am going to point a firearm at someone, it's going to be for real and its going to be to injure them or to exit their soul from their body. I don't mess around with weapons. They are used to destroy and kill. Not to play around with."

So what is your experience with weapons again? Violently hurled Mahjong tiles?

Vince. How many corners are you going to paint yourself in to?
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:32 PM       

Man, that was pretty.
________
Ferrari 166 s specifications

Last edited by sspadowsky : Apr 18th, 2011 at 05:46 AM.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 02:47 PM       
You know Max, when we find out he's typing all this shit up from a low security mental crisis ward, you might have conscience pains.
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 04:03 PM       
Maybe. I did feel kind of bad way back when I asked Helm if English was his fiorst language and he just said "No.".

If it turns out Vince is first class looney, I guess I'd feel...

Fine, becuase I'm fairly certain that's what he is.

Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:01 PM       
Only one question is worth answering from Jewy, and it is my experience with weapons. I own weapons and use them. Bows, rifles, shotguns, pistols, take your pick. I used to shoot for sport back when I was younger, and was able to win trophies and go to state and national competition for BB Gun, Pellet, Skeet and Marksman shooting as I got older. I love weapons and I respect and care for them, because they are a tool used to protect as well to destroy.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Apr 3rd, 2003, 10:30 PM       
Yeah, because when the Deer Army comes scraping at your door with pointed hooves, you're gonna want to be packin' some heat to show 'em who's boss.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 12:24 AM       
1. hunting for sport is gay
2. hunting for sport for trophies is doubly gay
Quote:
I'd love nothing more than to shake this woman's hand and buy her a steak and lobster dinner
- what if she's a vegetarian?
4. Maybe now the military will allow women in combat.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 01:20 AM        Yes
Ma'am,
It is with great feminist pride that I bring to your attention the fact that women already DO serve in combat roles. They are serving right now as we speak in Apache helicopters, F-14 Tomcats, and ground infantry units. There are only a small handful of jobs still closed to women, primarily in the special forces arenas.

P.S., For the record, I'm a huge fan of women.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 09:47 AM       
Vince too! He recently felt a boob, watched a lap dance, took a 'hot li'l latino' out and dated a beautiful black woman for very nearly a year!

Vince. You DID'T answer my question at ALL, SHOCK!! You claim you know hav experience of using a weapon to DEFEND YOURSELF! Were you viciously attacked by a PELLET GUN TARGET?

Can I just say that competetive B.B. and Pelet gun competition, if any such thing exists, is the most limpwristed nancy boy sport I can think of aside from unlimmited weight class cross dress croquet in which you undoubtedly excel.

Can you do me a favor and scan some of your Skeet and Target trophies and post them? I mean, not that I think your a compulsive liar or anything, I just like trophies, and seeing as you have no submarine letter, it might be illuminating.

Ooooh, JEWY! That's nice, Namor. You the classiest guy who ever won a B.B. gun trophy!

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 10:38 AM       
Now Max, I know you are busy being covetous and all, but you can quit counting your money for a minute to understand common sense.

I said I used to shoot back when I was younger. When I was 8 to 11 years old, I used to shoot B.B. and Air Rifle competion. As I got older, I used to shoot rifles, shotguns, and pistols. And no thanks, I'd rather not. It would involving me having to find a camera. Why don't you do a quick scan of some acomplishments of yourself, sir?

And I have defended myself with weapons before. It is none of your business why or how I did it.
Mocker

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:05 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkgrrrlie10
1. hunting for sport is gay
Under the context of the "for sport" stipulation, I agree. I have however, met a lot of hunters that enjoy a variety of outdoor activities and are not only conscientious hunter's but also avid conservationalists who do a lot to preserve wildlife, ect. If someone goes out, as a hunter and follows the rules and sticks to the limits set by the DNR, I can respect that. It's the "Joe Six-Packs" that know nothing about their natural environment, litter, kill past the limit and, in general, break every law of conservation that get me angry and give respectful hunters a bad name. To me, it's all in how you approach it and the respect you give to the activity.

my baby's mama
glowbelly is probably a spambot
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:11 AM       
there's nothing respectful in killing a deer.

as for max's accomplishments, vince? you're a complete moron for trying to one up him there.
Mocker

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:26 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowbelly
there's nothing respectful in killing a deer.

There are a lot of reasons that hunting deer is more humane than pushing them from their land with housing developments, letting them starve, or letting them get hit by cars (and they do by the tens of thousands in Michigan) but that's beside the point. I'm against animal abuse as much as anyone but if someone follows the limits set by the DEQ in Michigan which are heavily researched and use the full yield of the kill, I see nothing wrong with that. I'm assuming you may be a vbegetarian and I'll probably never convince you any differently from what you believe but there is a BIG difference between abuse and conscienscious hunting with respect towards conservationalism ... not that I hunt anymore ... just saying.

my baby's mama
glowbelly is probably a spambot
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 11:34 AM       
i agree with everything you just said, but i still can't swallow the respectful part of it.

it seems more like a nasty necessity to me.

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 12:21 PM       
I could care less about Max's acomplishments, to be quite honest.

As for hunting... everything huts. So its called life. IF we didn't hunt deer, the population would explode and they would overrun the small towns and the city edges.
Mocker

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 12:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by glowbelly
i agree with everything you just said, but i still can't swallow the respectful part of it.

it seems more like a nasty necessity to me.
Oh ... you're arguing syntax. I can see your point, though. There are some guys that like the "thrill of the chase" or whatever. I'm not now nor have I ever been one of those. If you're hunting humans ... LOL ... you better be doing so respectfully but deer ... not a lot of honor in that. Now something where the footings a little more equal like those crazies that go up to Alaska to hunt bear and bull moose ... you BETTER treat those animals with respect or they'll have your ass. Even then, though, it's not exactly equal.