Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 02:33 PM        How laws get passed without a public hearing
In an attempt to sneak the Illicit Drug Anti-Proliferation Act (formerly known as the “RAVE Act”) through Congress, Senator Joe Biden (D-DE) introduced the legislation into conference committee as an attachment to S151, widely referred to as the AMBER Alert bill. S151 is a bill about child abduction that has nothing to do with drug policy issues. The “RAVE” Act, in contrast, has not passed a single committee this year. In addition, it was so controversial when it was introduced last year that two Senators withdrew their sponsorship. The “RAVE” Act is a bill that would make it easier for the federal government to punish business owners for the drug offenses of their customers – even if they take steps to stop such activity.

On April 8, 2003, a Senate and House Conference Committee, agreed to attach the Illicit Drug Anti-Proliferation Act to the Amber Alert Bill. If the Democrats are successful in their efforts to attach the “RAVE” Act onto an unrelated bill, it is likely to become law without ever having a public hearing, debate or a vote. The legislation still must be voted on by the full House and Senate. Until the Senate and House act and the President signs the bill into law, we will continue to fight to remove the RAVE Act provisions from the AMBER Alert legislation.

The “RAVE” Act threatens free speech and musical expression while placing at risk any hotel/motel owner, concert promoter, event organizer, nightclub owner or arena/stadium owner for the drug violations of 3rd parties – real or alleged – even if the event promoter and/or property owner made a good-faith effort to keep their event drug-free. It applies not just to electronic-music parties, but any type of public gathering, including theatrical productions, rock concerts, DJ nights at local bars, and potentially even political rallies. Moreover, it gives heightened powers and discretion to prosecutors, who may use it to target events they personally don’t
like – such as Hip-Hop events and gay and lesbian fundraisers.

The “RAVE” Act was first introduced last year in the Senate by Senator Joe Biden (D-DE). A House version was introduced by Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX). Thanks to the support of thousands of voters like you, Drug Policy Alliance and a coalition of friends and activists around the country was able to stop both bills last year. Unfortunately, supporters of the “RAVE” Act are even more determined to pass it this year. Rep. Howard Coble (R-NC) is sponsoring a new “RAVE” Act in the House. Additionally, Senator Biden has introduced a Senate version entitled the Illicit Drugs Anti-Proliferation Act.

Opposition to the “RAVE” Act continues to grow. The Drug Policy Alliance and its coalition of partners will continue to mobilize to protect property owners and prevent the further criminalization of dance and music events. As always, we will keep on working to advocate for legislation that helps ensure the safety and free
speech of the dance community and all people who stand to be adversely affected by this law.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 04:32 PM       
Quote:
widely referred to as the AMBER Alert bill.
Good Grief. They're after Lenor.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 05:16 PM       
I actually support the Rave act. You made a strong case for it as a suspension of civil liberties, but not strong enough I'm afraid.

I was hoping the title would be more in depth, having been working under Sam Iona, I've learned that often times many legislators will simply sign bills handed to them without even bothering to proof read them as the end of the hearing sessions draw closer. At the hearing, they vote simply going by what the party affiliation is of who drafted it. I was more than a tad upset learning this, but in no position of authority to lecture them on their duties.

Yet.

:/
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:09 PM        Rave Act
As someone who has been raving for almost 15 years now I find the rave act quite excessive. Punishing a club owner for having an air conditioned dance floor or having an ambulance on call is not a way to handle the drug situation.
As a psychonaut, I find the whole war on drug issue offensive. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see most of the dumb-ass Kandi Kids who have no clue what they are doing or putting in their body stop using drugs, however adults making adult decisions should be allowed to do so. Assuming of course these decisions don't harm anyone else.
I know my opinion on drugs is in the minority on this board and I am not trying to debate that point. What I am concerned with is the fact that the Rave Act is being attached to the Amber Alert in an attempt to railroad it through since it has not passed using appropriate methods.

What's next? Attaching a bill allowing unwarrented search and seizure of property owned by people of Arab decent to a simillarly sure to pass bill?

This is total abuse of the system.
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 06:12 PM        Rave Act
Crap......forgot to cite where the original post came from......sorry folks.....

It was from
http://actioncenter.drugpolicy.org/action/