Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 06:32 PM        Schwarzenegger calls legislators "Girlie Men"
I guess he took the advice of Hans and Franz after all? :/

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...orsasgirliemen

Gov. Criticizes Legislators as 'Girlie Men'

Sun Jul 18, 7:55 AM ET Add Top Stories - Los Angeles Times to My Yahoo!

By Peter Nicholas Times Staff Writer

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger (news - web sites) mocked his opponents in the California Legislature on Saturday as "girlie men," and called upon voters to "terminate" them at the polls in November if they don't pass his $103-billion budget.

Using tough rhetoric that borrowed from his days as a bodybuilder and actor, the governor said state lawmakers are telling "lies" and are "back to their old habits" after a post-recall burst of bipartisan collaboration.

Legislators, he said at a rally in the food court of the Ontario Mills shopping center, are "part of a bureaucracy that is out of shape, that is out of date, that is out of touch and that is definitely out of control in Sacramento."

Schwarzenegger added, "They cannot have the guts to come out there in front of you and say, 'I don't want to represent you. I want to represent those special interests: the unions, the trial lawyers'…. I call them girlie men. They should get back to the table, and they should finish the budget."

Democratic lawmakers, gay and lesbian advocates and feminist groups bristled over the governor's comments, which were greeted with sustained applause by hundreds of people who were invited to the rally through automated phone calls put out by Schwarzenegger's camp.

The governor used the "girlie men" reference twice in a 16-minute speech aimed at pressuring the Legislature to pass his budget, now 17 days late. The remarks were apparently references to an old "Saturday Night Live" skit parodying Schwarzenegger. Comedians Dana Carvey and Kevin Nealon played "pumped-up" bodybuilders with Austrian accents who dismissed anyone without a muscled torso as a "girlie man."

Though the four leaders in the Senate and Assembly are men, women head some of the Legislature's most influential committees, ranging from Appropriations to Energy. The California Legislative Women's Caucus website lists 33 members — more than one-fourth of the Legislature.

Senate President Pro Tem John Burton (D-San Francisco) said he was "nonplused" by Schwarzenegger's comment.

"I don't know what the definition of 'girlie man' is. As opposed to his being a he-man?" Burton asked. "I can't think of a way to have the he-man and the girlie men join hands around the Capitol and sing 'Kum Ba Ya.' "

Assembly Speaker Fabian Nuñez (D-Los Angeles) said, "Those are the kinds of statements that ought not to come out of the mouth" of the governor.

"He says he's going to 'terminate' members in November? I really don't know what he means by that. That's not funny any more," Nuñez said.

Frustrated by the stalemate over his budget, Schwarzenegger has been using a series of weekend public appearances to drum up calls to lawmakers demanding completion of the budget. He plans to continue his campaign today at a shopping mall in Stockton.

Having used his charisma and celebrity to build relationships with lawmakers over the last eight months, the governor is adopting a combative new tone. Schwarzenegger said he would strive to oust Democratic lawmakers who vote against his budget.

"I want each and every one of you to go the polls on Nov. 2," he said Saturday. "That will be judgment day. I want you to go to the polls…. You are the terminators, yes!"

Missing from his speeches are the once routine praise for Nuñez's negotiating skills, or Burton's arch humor.

"I'm trying to streamline the budget — make it leaner and more accountable," the governor said. "But these legislators are playing games right now in Sacramento. We want action, not games. We want action, not dialogue. We want action, not the promises. We want action and not the lies that are up there in Sacramento."

His habit had been to cite the Legislature's improving — if still weak — job approval rating to demonstrate voter appreciation for the new direction in Sacramento and to encourage bipartisan cooperation.

But on Saturday he invoked the numbers to belittle a Legislature he once described as his "partner."

"Their approval rating is in the 30s," he said. "My approval rating is in the 70s, because the people know why I am there. They are the obstructionists up there right now. They are stopping the budget. I am representing you, and the people know they are representing the special interests rather than the public interest."

The governor's pugnacious turn raised objections Saturday, with the "girlie man" reference becoming the focus.

"It's really painful to hear the governor resort to such blatant homophobia," said Sen. Sheila Kuehl (D-Santa Monica), chairwoman of the Senate's Natural Resources and Wildlife Committee. "It's an old-fashioned way of talking about gay men as to indicate they're not as strong. So that part is really painful. And I have to say it's really surprising. It's like he can't get his way so he resorts to some kind of name-calling."

Kuehl, along with Assemblyman Mark Leno (D-San Francisco), belongs to the Legislature's five-member Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Caucus.

"This type of third-grade insult only clarifies that the governor has lost his balance and is seemingly unable to stay focused on the issues of the budget to date," Leno said. "By playing to certain voters' discomfort with gender and sexuality, the governor has exposed himself to be a divider, not a uniter."

In reply, Rob Stutzman, the governor's communications director, said, "We're not going to respond to anyone looking to get their name in the paper."

Lawmakers and others called upon the governor to apologize.

"He should apologize and he should think twice before he speaks, and I would hope that his wife, Maria, would remind him of that," said Assemblywoman Sarah Reyes (D-Fresno).

Eleanor Smeal, president of the Feminist Majority, a national women's rights organization with an office in Beverly Hills, said, "Come on. Women are strong. And to denigrate half the human race is pretty sick. But that's what he's doing. He's trying to denigrate the males by denigrating females. But I would say it's an out-of-date comment and it should be, because it's so sexist."

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:00 PM       
I saw this coming a million miles away.
ima nice lady
nothing4buddha is probably a spambot
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 07:51 PM       
:sigh you and me both. :/
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:27 PM       
Pure awesome.

conus is probably a spambot
Old Jul 18th, 2004, 11:50 PM       
Doesn't Schwarzenegger disagree with Bush on a couple of social issues? I'm not really clear on these definitions, but wouldn't that make him a girlie-man?
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:25 AM       
I think this makes me like this governor of a state I don't live in and shoulden't care about, even more.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 08:22 AM       
Uh-oh, time for another recall!
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 09:22 AM       
From what I understand about steroid use, Arnold is probably closer to being girly than most of those Democrats.....
Does the term Gynecomastia mean anything to you?

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 10:42 AM       
No it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
Uh-oh, time for another recall!
How about a "total recall" budum chhh
Stone Pants Rabbit
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 01:29 PM       
it one of the funnier side effects of steroid use....bodybuilders grow tits. Plastic surgeons make a fortune doing breast reduction on these morons.....that that the shrinking testicles....and the brain cancer...
Resident Chimp
Old Jul 19th, 2004, 05:56 PM       
They're called pecs on a man, not breasts, and I BET YOU WISH YOU HAD ZEM, YOU GIRLY MÄN.
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 06:17 AM       
I didn't know Schwarzenegger could do a Schwarzenegger impression
Stone Pants Rabbit
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 07:12 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChimp
They're called pecs on a man, not breasts, and I BET YOU WISH YOU HAD ZEM, YOU GIRLY MÄN.
no, dumbass...they overload on testosterone and the body counters by mass producing estrogen...and in the process, they grow tits...not pectoral muscles, but breast tissue.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 08:21 AM       
I don't find it offensive.

I don't find it homophobic.

There isn't really a word for what I find it. I remeber back when that sketch was popular. I liked it. And then they did another version of it. I still liked it even though it was the same joke. The characters were good. Then, the next week, they brought them back and I thought, okay. And then again, and again, and again. And by that time you couldn't go anywhere without loathsome colleg students and highschoolers doing their dumbass impressions of Hans and Frans, most of which totally missed the point of the original skecth, which was that bodybuilders, in particular Shvatxenhoozy, protest too mcuh seeing as how they are very effeminate.

And now, years and years after that sketch had it's heyday, in a way that only the old can pull off, not recognizing that time moves more slowly the younger you are, and that for anyone younger than I am that bit is ancient history, a man who is now Governor and supposedly not an entertainer, resurrects the bit. And still doesn't get it.

It's Ironic tht the only language that could construct a word that would convey the feeling I just tried to describe is german.
Fartin's biggest fan
Perndog is probably a spambot
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 08:27 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixby Phillips
I didn't know Schwarzenegger could do a Schwarzenegger impression
He could make a fortune impersonating himself on the comedy circuit, especially since he's a political figure now.
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 12:25 PM       
Shwarzenegger should just Gun everyone down with a minigun
Jim Duncan - Weather is probably a spambot
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 12:42 PM       
Or let a Predator kill them, and then he kills it, and then another one comes back for a sequel.

Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 01:17 PM       
or fill the atmosphere of mars with oxygen
Resident Chimp
Old Jul 20th, 2004, 01:53 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo Electrolux
no, dumbass...they overload on testosterone and the body counters by mass producing estrogen...and in the process, they grow tits...not pectoral muscles, but breast tissue.
Somebody doesn't get jokes.

Stone Pants Rabbit
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 12:05 PM       
I have pecs....I traded my sense of humor for them....
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 01:35 PM       
He should celebrate the opening of some public building by blowing up a computer factory!
Banned
ArrowX sucks
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 01:51 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by I
Shwarzenegger should just Gun everyone down with a minigun
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 02:41 PM       
You are fucking horrible. Stop gaying up every thread you shit on.
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 05:21 PM       
dont talk to arrowx that way

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2004, 08:10 PM        Seriously....
I'm upset that there hasn't been any real analysis of the political strategy involved here.

I mean what better way to solve a budget crisis? I know there have been many many times in my life when I was personally or professionally opposed to something and refused to budge. But who can resist the power of having your manhood questioned?

Im quite certain that the state Dems couldn't wait to change their votes and prove Arnie wrong. Who wants to be called a bitch? Well I mean, outside the bedroom and all.