Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 03:26 AM        Weekly Movie Review: Punisher: War Zone
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: Punisher: War Zone.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 06:54 PM       
Waiting for the DVD. Mostly because it shot out of theaters too quickly for me to get there and watch it. I still think the 2004 Punisher movie was amazing. Mostly because I was expecting the 2004 film to be how the 2008 sounds.
O HAI!!!!!!
Location: That shadow behind you? yeah its just a shadow dont be paranoid.
brokensaint82 is probably a spambot
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 10:20 PM       
I liked the 2004 one and didnt get to the movies for this one, sounds like a rent to me though...possibly a buy since I have OCD when it comes to comic movies, i have to have all of them for soem odd reason
lurking on the walls
saturnknight is probably a spambot
Old Dec 30th, 2008, 11:38 PM       
I actually enjoyed this movie, now i saw it online (thanks Megavideo.com) and, do agree with you saying most of the lines are bad, hell I totally agree... but why not think of it this way, It's now Saw 5... which was by far more athetic than the privious (in my opinion). AAnd It's not a Friday the 13th... But it's something in between... it's like the th3e offspring of Rambo from last year... I mean think about it. Former soldier fighting an army filled with impossible odds.

It's lame, but I went in to it knowing there won't be much of a plot, I looked forward to seeing this new rendition of the Punisher, and I enjoyed it. And you have to admit, seeing that new free climbing fad being taken down a peg was epic. How often do you see a guy doing a flip off of a building only to be hit by a stinger missile?

although seeing a small gang get introduced...and then wiped out before anything could develop was a little odd, they can do better... now if they used General Krepkov from the comics, I think he'd be epic as a heartless bastard.

once again, I liked it. and I don't care what anyone else thinks, each movie delivered a different aspect of the punisher for the time. 80's he did the job to get it done against the mob. 2004 it was vengance. 2008 Vengance to the next level.
neoboman is probably a spambot
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 12:30 AM       
Had some cool moments but overall, ugh.
Sympathizes with the foo'
Mister Tea is probably a spambot
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 11:13 AM       
No no, 2004 was not vengeance; it was punishment!

I liked the 2004 Punisher movie because it didn't go overboard with the comic-book trappings; it felt more like an old-school 70's action movie instead of another "Matrix" ripoff. But now I have to see this one, if only for the above-mentioned scene where the Le Parkour guy gets blown to smithereens.
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Relaxing Dragon is probably a spambot
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 01:20 PM       
As a straight, over-the-top action movie, I really enjoyed this one. The gunplay was good, the violence was excellent ('too violent'? Completely ridiculous, there's no such thing), and the gore was nice and thick. I also found a good amount of the humor enjoyable (especially the parkour moment. Full agreement that it needed to be brought down a bit, even though I still think it's really cool).

Though you are right, most of the story and characters are little more than filler (at least it seems that way). The occasional plot hole doesn't help either (anyone else notice the Russians just completely disappear at one point?). But I let it slide in the end, mainly because Ray Stevenson did such a great job (he owned that character. Much better than Jane, and I'm a Jane fan). Plus I liked his sidekick played by Newman.

Also (and I may be alone here), I felt this was different from most comic book movies in that it didn't even try for realism. While all the others are trying to make it all seem like a comic book situation that could actually happen in real life, this is one that just said "fuck it" and went nuts. Sure, it doesn't make for 'good' movies so to speak, but it makes some really entertaining stuff. Like this, which did far poorer at the box office than it deserved.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Dec 31st, 2008, 08:48 PM       
Didn't expect much from this one.
Forum Virgin
IXCE is probably a spambot
Old Jan 1st, 2009, 03:53 AM       
I went in with low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed the 2004 version and ended up liking this one as well. I felt like it was so over the top yet didn't take itself serious. Its like the director just went bat shit with the idea and had a lot of fun with it. I do wish it had more action scenes but it was still entertaining.
HowardC is probably a spambot
Old Jan 3rd, 2009, 01:58 AM       
I guess I never really got the punisher. Mind you he has his moments (like in marvel zombies when he decides he'll kill the last people on earth just because they happen to also be criminals) but to me he always seemed a little two-dimensional. He seems like a blatent edgy marketing gimmick to me, sorta like the sega genesis and "blast processing" back in the day. That isn't to say there haven't been, on very rare occasions, good stories written for him, but that says more for the writers than the character himself, who is nothing more than a generic bad-ass anti-hero.
toolz88 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 09:09 AM       
It was'nt the best movie I had ever seen Ray Stevenson looks and acts exactly like the Punisher should and at least this one is set in New York
The Ugly Puckling
Graystreet is probably a spambot
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 02:54 PM       
Ray Stevenson really was a horrible Punisher in my opinion, he looked exactly like the type of person The Punisher should be brutalizing, and sounded too much like a European, which he is, but there are numerous actors that can play Americans well.

I really liked Thomas Jane's Punisher, he didn't look like a person that would be ready to brutally and horrifically murder an entire gang, and that was a nice aspect. Plus, the friends aspect was handled a lot better in 2004, these light and airy but tormented people surrounding this dark and brooding but in the end hopeful figure was a great contrast. John Travolta was the biggest flaw in that movie.

But in the end, Howard The Duck was a better movie then War Zone...
Reptilus Rex
Grossenschwamm is probably a spambot
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 05:05 AM       
Whoa, Graystreet...I don't know if you want to throw insults that big. Warzone may not have been an ideal movie, but Howard the Duck was absolutely God awful and probably the closest thing to a film-based weapon most of us will ever see.
I might just be old-fashioned, but I always admired the Punisher for his conviction. Yeah, he's killing people, but everyone knows he's sticking to his metaphorical and physical guns by not backing down.
I liked the 2004 movie with Thomas Jane, because it had really good character development despite not quite hitting the nail on the head with the history (along with Rebecca Romijn), and besides, Kevin Nash (The Russian) was stabbed by a real knife by Thomas Jane during their fight in the apartment building. It was an accident, but it's still pretty funny.
lurking on the walls
saturnknight is probably a spambot
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:26 AM       
Graystreet, I agree on some sections, and It was odd knowing Castle was played by a scottish actor, but he did look like the Punisher, not like a guy he'd hunt.

and Grossenschwamm, I dind't know Nash was actually stabbed... That makes it better.

yet, I find it funny how Gray complains about a scottishman playing an American, yet, it's ok for an American to play a Russian?
Fookin' up planets!
Captain PirateFace is probably a spambot
Old Feb 2nd, 2009, 04:12 PM       
"Nobody fucks with the dark overlord"

Best quote in...

-Howard the Duck-