Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 02:48 PM       
There was a good Washington Monthly article a few weeks back that stated why SUV drivers are such assholes: http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14839.
SUV owners are frequently "nervous about their marriages and uncomfortable about parenthood. They often lack confidence in their driving skills. Above all, they are apt to be self-centered and self-absorbed, with little interest in their neighbors and communities. They are more restless, more sybaritic and less social than most Americans are."

Aside from the fact that the nations SUVs guzzle more oil than its aircraft carriers. "Me like oil," Gee-dubayah Bush once told me in private. Well we all know why we're going to war, but SUVs also kill a great many more passengers than they save. They crush other cars, and study after study proves they themselves have shockingly high fatal rollover rates and lethal side-impact dangers. And, given the horrible visibility from SUVs, their drivers have a rather unfortunate habit of running over their own children in the driveway. True. Research has proved that a tank like the two-ton Chevy Tahoe kills 122 people for every 1 million models on the road; by comparison, the Honda Accord kills only 21 per 1 million such vehicles.
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 07:02 PM        SUV
Quote:
"Mostly because the people who drive them seem to be the biggest idiots on the RODE."

Nice quote.

Thanks for proving my point that it's all about class warfare.

I don't think that being an idoit has anything to do with class warfare. All classes have their idots. And SUV drivers are in an idiot class of their own.

As for RODE - It's called a typo. You make quite a few of those yourself Ronnie.

George -
I spent over $12000.00 for my car.......am I a bad person? 8-)

roonTing is probably a spambot
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 11:54 PM       
Strange that a 2 ton vehicle kills more people than one nearly half its weight. The '57 Chevy was known as a roll over beast at its time. So what? They are just another form of transportation. A more useful truck. Big shit. Stop bitching and save your money to buy your own.
Carnivore's angry side!
Malevolent is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:56 AM       
If I had a million dollars, I wouldn't even consider buying an SUV.

I definitely hate you.

roonTing is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:13 AM       
Neither would I... But with 40 to 60 grand, I may.

I would waste a million on a super car... or a classic... Bugatti maybe.

Systemz is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:51 AM       
Hell for a million bucks I don't think I'd be pitching in for an Escalade. How about a nice Volvo S60, with the whole package? And a nice house with a heated garage to put it in?
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:10 AM        SUV
More useful truck?

Most SUVs have shit for cargo space.
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:39 AM       
It's not about I-Mockers being envious of actually owning an SUV. But these liberal Mockers just hate rich people and this is just another way (not unlike smoking in public) that they can attack the freedoms of the average American.

If they were really concerned about the environment and terrorism they would be talking more about hybrids or hydrogen cells like Bush is.......which is a slap in the face of big oil might I add.

But getting back to my first point. It's not going to stop. It's going to get worse to the point where liberals will suffocate. And not from the fumes of any SUV, but their own ideals and not being able to relate to the average American.

Bring on the future.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 11:59 AM        SUV
And pray tell, what is the "average american"
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:09 PM        SUV
Personally, I could care less if people want to buy an SUV. Hell, a friend of mine owns an Avalanche, a Viper, a Prowler and a new Thunderbird. All cars that are far more expensive than most SUVs. If you've got the cash and that is where you choose to spend it go right ahead.
Though I do agree that we need to have cleaner more fuel efficient vehicles world wide.

My problem is the fact that the people that tend to buy them also tend to be the most dangerously aggressive people on the road.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:09 PM       
That's crap.

By the way, a viper burns just as much if not more gas than an SUV.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:23 PM        SUV
What is crap?

What is an average american?

And I am well aware that the Viper is not fuel efficient. My point, that you completely ignored, is that my opinion has nothing to do with money or the fact that they are not environmentally sound.

My point is that regardless of if they have the money to own 10 SUVs or saved and starved to own 1, the people that drive them tend to be more aggressive on the road. Perhaps it has nothing to do with status, but with the fact that SUVs symbolize an aggressive attitude. And that has nothing to do with wealth.
Red, dead meat!
Carnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:29 PM       
I neither hate rich people nor do I object to people earning wealth through honest work. I do object to wealthy people earning even greater wealth through manipulation of the government and media. I also believe that with greater wealth comes a greater responsibility to your fellow human beings who are in need.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 01:36 PM        SUV
Carni -
Agreed.

I really don't care how much (or how little) money a person has. It is people who act like they are above everyone else, above the law and above common decency because of their wealth or their car even their trophy spouse that I have problems with.

"I'm rich, I should be able to run over as many children as I want" - Mr. Burns
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 02:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Raygun
It's not about I-Mockers being envious of actually owning an SUV. But these liberal Mockers just hate rich people and this is just another way (not unlike smoking in public) that they can attack the freedoms of the average American.
How can you breath under all that bullshit? Where does a Liberal like me stand on the smoking issue, Ronnie? It's not about class warfare, it's not about hating "rich" people. Grow up, and PLEASE stop listening to Rush Limbaugh.

Quote:
If they were really concerned about the environment and terrorism they would be talking more about hybrids or hydrogen cells like Bush is.......which is a slap in the face of big oil might I add.
Bush isn't serious about it (read article above). He was doing it to soften the blow on what are otherwise terrible economic and foreign policies.

Quote:
But getting back to my first point. It's not going to stop. It's going to get worse to the point where liberals will suffocate. And not from the fumes of any SUV, but their own ideals and not being able to relate to the average American.

Bring on the future.

You're such a silly bastard. Do you still see yourself, with your views, as being reflective of the "average American"???? That's a riot.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 12:09 PM       
OH! And I guess YOU do!!!

HAHA!
Mocker
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:12 PM       
No, I don't. I see myself as an individual in a nation that prides itself on individualism. I see myself as an American who embraces the pluralism and diversity that we share here. You on the other hand try to lump everyone into categories, you use the mythical crutch of the "middle class." You are far more guilty of using class warfare than anybody else, but the sad thing is that you aren't even conscious of it.
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 02:34 PM       
OOOH! How clever....

Use my own arguement against me? The people you support lump people into groups and pit them against one another. You know....the smokers....the blacks....the whites....the rich....the poor....the SUV drivers.

Class warfare can only weaken us as a nation. Is that what you want Kevin?

....and don't bring up the smoking argument because I know we agree on that.
Mocker
Old Feb 16th, 2003, 02:47 PM       
Quote:
The people you support lump people into groups and pit them against one another. You know....the smokers....the blacks....the whites....the rich....the poor....the SUV drivers.
Lets stick with the SUV drivers for the sake of the argument. The people who are critical of SUVs are critical towards the environmental and safety issues involved. I don't care WHO is driving that car, I care about the CAR.

But you on the other hand, much like your golden God El Rushbo, claim that it's an attack on the middle class. Are you trying to say that only white suburbanites could possibly be the target. Why Ronnie? Can't a lower-income black female w/ two kids afford an SUV if she REALLY wants one???? Isn't this AMERICA???? Wy are you partaking in class warfare????

Quote:
Class warfare can only weaken us as a nation. Is that what you want Kevin?
Moot point. Class warfare has already been declared, by you, by Rush, by our president, etc. etc.

Quote:
....and don't bring up the smoking argument because I know we agree on that.
Exactly. Don't bring it up because you know it disproves your "class war" theory of the Left.
Mocker
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 12:11 PM       
Quote:
"That's what Jesus said to do," Mr. Snesko said. "I figured I needed to start doing what Scripture tells me to do, which is help people in need. Where would America be without SUVs in this mess? ... It was unfair for them to come down on SUVs the way they did. I feel extremely vindicated today."
This is like something from The Onion!

http://www.washtimes.com/metro/20030218-28182385.htm

SUV owners get chance to be good guys
By Jon Ward
THE WASHINGTON TIMES

A volunteer army of SUV owners rolled through the area's snow-covered streets this week to help doctors and nurses reach their jobs — and improve their unpopular image

"I really can't believe the outpouring of the volunteers," said Jackie Hubbard, a staffing assistant at Prince George's Hospital Center. "We've had to turn people away."

Mrs. Hubbard said about 30 drivers in sport utility vehicles gave rides to hospital staffers and that roughly 100 more drivers called but were not needed.

"They could be doing a lot of things on a day like this," she said. "They could be next to the fire reading a good book or lying in their bed. I know that's what I'd be doing."

More than 20 area hospitals, nursing homes and hospices asked for help delivering essential staffers — and in some cases patients — as nearly 2 feet of snow made roads too slippery and clogged for most cars.

Many hospital administrators said they got help from citizens with SUVs."It's an amazing display of volunteerism," said Dr. Richard Goldberg, vice president of medical affairs at Georgetown University Hospital, where about 50 SUV owners volunteered.
The efforts come at a good time for owners of SUVs, or four-wheel-drive vehicles.
In the past few months, critics of SUV'shave become increasingly strident. A series of advertisements on national TV accused SUV owners of helping terrorism because their gas-guzzling vehicles support oil-producing Arab countries linked to terrorism.
One advertisement showed people sitting in SUVs saying: "I gassed 40,000 Kurds," then "I helped hijack an airplane," then "I helped blow up a nightclub." The ad ends with them saying in unison, "We did it all by driving to work in our SUVs."
Another ad proclaimed: "The biggest weapon of mass destruction is parked in your driveway."
Among the more outlandish of the commercials was one by the Evangelical Environmental Network that asked, "What would Jesus drive?" The group also said Christians should not drive SUVs because they harm the environment.
Still, Phil Heuschen of Arlington felt pretty good yesterday about owning an SUV.
Mr. Heuschen, 26, started driving staffers and patients to Inova Alexandria Hospital on Sunday at noon, went home at 2 a.m. and was on the road again yesterday at 9 a.m.
He said the roughly 40 volunteer drivers developed a sense of camaraderie over the two days and reveled in each other's snow stories.
He also said the volunteers talked about how their efforts might stop people from questioning their transportation choices.
"If it wasn't for SUVs, people wouldn't be getting around," Mr. Heuschen said.
Tony Snesko, 56, of the District was untroubled by the "What, would Jesus drive?" campaign against vehicles such as his. He and his wife, Valerie, spent Sunday delivering meals in their SUV to people dying of AIDS for the group Food and Friends.
"That's what Jesus said to do," Mr. Snesko said. "I figured I needed to start doing what Scripture tells me to do, which is help people in need. Where would America be without SUVs in this mess? ... It was unfair for them to come down on SUVs the way they did. I feel extremely vindicated today."
D. C. Mayor Anthony A. Williams yesterday asked for SUV volunteers to assist with emergency operations in the city. Drivers who can help are asked to call 202/727-1000.
-30-
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 12:53 PM       
"Lets stick with the SUV drivers for the sake of the argument. The people who are critical of SUVs are critical towards the environmental and safety issues involved. I don't care WHO is driving that car, I care about the CAR."

I'm not talking about you personally. I'm talking about the movement as a whole.

"But you on the other hand, much like your golden God El Rushbo, claim that it's an attack on the middle class. Are you trying to say that only white suburbanites could possibly be the target. Why Ronnie? Can't a lower-income black female w/ two kids afford an SUV if she REALLY wants one???? Isn't this AMERICA???? Wy are you partaking in class warfare????"

I never said it was an attack on the middle class....I said it was an atack on the wealthy.

"Moot point. Class warfare has already been declared, by you, by Rush, by our president, etc. etc."

How?

"Exactly. Don't bring it up because you know it disproves your "class war" theory of the Left."

Cigarettes? When did I ever say that?
Mocker
Old Feb 18th, 2003, 01:08 PM       
Quote:
I'm not talking about you personally. I'm talking about the movement as a whole.
"My movement" doesn't give a damn whose kids are playing soccer, or whatever. It's the environment, stupid!

Quote:
I never said it was an attack on the middle class....I said it was an atack on the wealthy.
So then lower-middle class to middle class people can't own these vehicles...? Why?

Quote:
"Moot point. Class warfare has already been declared, by you, by Rush, by our president, etc. etc."

How?
I dunno, by tax cuts that do nothing they claim to do, by standing against a living wage, by opposing a national health coverage, by abandoning our public education systems, etc. etc. etc.

Quote:
Cigarettes? When did I ever say that?
huh?