Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:11 AM        Weekly Movie Review: The Dark Knight
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: The Dark Knight.
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:19 AM       
Here here.
Smooth Operator
Terrible-D is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 05:10 AM       
I have a dissappering pencil trick, it led to me being unable to be within 500ft. of a school zone.

But seriously, excellent film all around. And I agree that Ledgers Joker has become the definitive version (Hamill's was my favorite up until Friday).
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 05:32 AM       
I'm convinced I just saw two of the most flexible, believeable actors to grace the screen at once; Ledger and Oldman.
Fanboy
Purple Man is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 07:15 AM       
I smell a Batgirl a-comin'.
hanging out
stonewar is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 09:30 AM       
Watched it last night and I agree with the voice comment....That voice was the perfect Batman voice..when he didn't talk much. When he has that much dialogue, it starts to sound funny and you stop listening and start trying to figure out why he sounds like that.
And here's what I came up with. 1)the mask prevents him from breathing through his nose so his pronounciation becomes a little nasal. 2) he keeps his teeth separated and rarely moves his jaw. The result is all the words are formed from heavy exhalation and lip movement alone so he drops letters all over the place like a ventrilequist. It becomes more obvious the more he talks.
1.21 Gigawatts!!!
McFly is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 09:35 AM       
I liked how they did not show Commisioner Gordon's daughters' face. Smart move on their part if they every want to introduce Batgirl. Just hopefully it will not turn into a huge pile of crap the way they did when they had Batman, Robin, and Batgirl all on the same team.

One of the big problems that they have for this is momentum. With the Dark Knight, they carried over elements from Batman Begins, but may not be able to do so with the next one. Besides Ledger being gone (and they better not put another guy in his role), the film ends perfectly and picking up from there may be tricky.

They may have problems that every superhero franchise goes thru and start making checklists of which villans/superheros have been used and which remain. There can also be issues with trying to put too many in a movie at once making it a clustered mess with no character development. Dark Knight was close to following that path, but handled it perfectly (considering that the movie was almost 3 hours long).

It makes you wonder if they are going to try to follow up the success of Dark Knight (which 99.9% chance that they are) and which storylines are going to come into play.
lurking on the walls
saturnknight is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:11 AM       
Right on Proto! I've been waiting for this movie for a long time, especially when the disappointing Batman forever and Batman and Robin movies.
I heard that The role of the Joker drove Ledger to his mental state, but that's just rumor... i just want to see his portrayal of the clown prince of crime.

as for Twoface... they touched on how Harvey became him in Batman and Robin, but they could have had him in his own movie.

anyways keep the kick ass reviews going
That damn kid
Hangie is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 10:13 AM       
I loved this movie when I saw it opening day.

Also am I the only one who thought the joker looked really hot as a girl?
Retardedly Handsome
Icculus is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:02 AM       
This is where the huge dilemma comes into play. This movie was incredible. They'll probably come out with another one in and of course it won't be as good because we set unattainable expectations. So is Morgan Freeman out now or was it just an ambiguous ending for him as well.
Oozes machismo
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 11:14 AM       
It wasn't an ambiguous end for him.
WHAM!
BigMac500 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 12:01 PM       
I went to see this movie with some friends on opening night, and let's just say we go there at the right time.
I've never seen the theatre so packed, and it actually added to the movie.

Anyways, the whole Bat-Voice thing actually annoyed the hell out of me. I just wanted him to shut up and disappear off to the Bat-Cave or something.
Oh, and the retarded teen working the projector had no idea what "focus" means, so the movie was extremely blurry 75% of the time.

And I really hope they leave the Joker out of any sequels, because Ledger's performance cannot be topped.
Unless they go ahead and have some other guy play a Joker impersonator. Which would still suck I guess.
But while the Joker's "magic" may have been gruesome, everyone in the audience got a good laugh out of some little thing he did in every scene. Having a homicidal psycopath who can make you laugh at the drop of a hat is a weird, but amazing mix.

And he's a pretty decent looking "hot nurse."
Forum Virgin
Teal is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 01:40 PM       
It was amazing. Completely stunning. Just one thing though- Jim Gordon doesn't have a son (or he was retconned out) in the comics, right? Why the addition?
Forum Virgin

CMART is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:38 PM       
I'll try to keep this short.

The Dark Knight is near-perfect as far as movies go, and definitely the best comic adaptation ever made. Although Ledger's performance overshadows all others, the film is beautifully acted by some of Hollywood's best. It doesn't at all feel like big-name actors ego tripping at the chance to play these iconic characters, as was the case with Schumacher's films. Each character is portrayed with such depth that it's easy to justify some of the annoying aspects (the bat voice comes to mind.) I agree that Eckhart nailed it, Bale's interpretation is the best Batman we've seen yet, Oldman does a great job of fleshing out Gordon, Caine is brilliant as always, and Morgan Freeman is just playing Morgan Freeman but it works. A friend of mine complained that Maggie Gyllenhaal transformed Rachel Dawes from the strong female lead portrayed by Katie Holmes in Batman Begins into a teenage girl who can't decide which boy she likes in Dark Knight. But Gyllenhaal's performance didn't really bother me, perhaps because it was buried by so many others, or perhaps because Dawes has no roots in the comic so the fanboy aspect is out the window. Besides, such is to be expected when the same roll is played by a different actress in a sequel. The only sort of complaint I can come up with is the movie felt unfinished. There is no doubt in my mind that the passing of Ledger lead to some script rewrites, as the back end of the film definitely shifts focus from Joker to Dent. And without giving too much away, there is a great deal of ambiguity about what happens to the Joker. I can't help but feel Nolan originally had a different plan. But that doesn't subtract from the unbelievable level of performance of Heath Ledger. It completely crushed my expectations, and I expected a lot. With all due respect to Mr. Nicholson, Ledger's Joker has never and will never be topped in our lifetime, period. It's incredibly sad that he can't reprise his roll for the third film, and he never completed his roll in the second (in my opinion.) I don't think they would ask another actor to fill his shoes, and I don't think any actor in their right mind would want to, anyways.
Greasy Bacon of Villany
porkboy is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:53 PM       
Am I the only person who liked Batman Forever? I mean, that was the movie that actually was my first big experience with the Batman franchise in general. Yeah, Jim Carey, while effectively a comical Riddler with hints of true madness, was effective overall for my impression of what the Riddler is kinda like based on my impressions of the character (I didn't read too many comics as a kid).

P.S. There was only one Return, and it wasn't the King it was the Jedi.
Greasy Bacon of Villany
porkboy is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 03:55 PM       
Oh, wow, I did not proofread that "impression" sentence at all.
Oozes machismo
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:04 PM       
I liked Batman Forever, but at the same time I don't think it's particularly good.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:19 PM       
I loved it. Nicholson played a very convicing, sinister Joker, but Ledger was-IS The Joker. My only problems with the movie were that most of the fight scenes were in the dark and therefore hard to see, and the Batcycle. (because nothing is more "Batman" than giant guns, right?) Nice reference,porkboy. Are you "down" with the trilogy?
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:26 PM       
Also, did anyone come to the theater early to see the Watchmen Trailer? My God, It's beautiful.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E4blSrZvPhU
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Relaxing Dragon is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:32 PM       
Excellent review (if a somewhat expected score, not that it's a bad thing. And finally someone else who doesn't blame solely Jones for his Two-Face). This was a fantastic movie and I loved it, which is saying something since I usually don't care much at all for superhero movies. Everything that's been said about the Joker is spot-on; hyped-up roles tend to be less than desired after a while (I wasn't exactly wowed by Daniel Plainview), but not Ledger; he acted in a legendary fashion, and it's a damn shame he's gone (but what a curtain call!).

Great as it was, though, the movie still had flaws. The over-long running time (being the result of a few too many unnecessary scenes; Hong Kong, I'm looking at you), the fact that Bale just sounded corny sometimes with that voice (glad you caught that), and some of the sub-plots didn't really go anywhere (like that underling who knew Batman's identity. He just kinda disappeared). Luckily, the general pacing of the movie covered these up, so it's still a great movie (it's just not the greatest film ever made, as many have already declared). So while I still think Sin City is the best comic book movie (what can I say, it had everything I wanted and Tarentino. It's win-win), this is definitely one of the greats, and easily one of the best movies this year.
Oozes machismo
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 04:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain516 View Post
Also, did anyone come to the theater early to see the Watchmen Trailer? My God, It's beautiful.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=E4blSrZvPhU
Gave me goosebumps.
skank pronger
Aries is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 05:30 PM       
When Joker was in the nurse's outfit he reminded me of Genesis P-Orridge. Somebody here must know who that is, right? Right??
Last of the Time Lords
Doctor_Who is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 05:37 PM       
I just saw it and it may actually be my new favorite movie ever. 2.5 hours long and I still wanted more. Between this masterpiece, the awesome Iron Man, and the vastly improved Hulk, 2008 is the year of the Comic Book Film.

Now if only next year's Watchmen can be persuaded to not suck, all my childhood fantasies (except the one about G.I. Joe's Baroness and the cool-whip) will be fulfilled.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 05:51 PM       
To be fair, there have been multiple Jokers.
Crazed Techno-Biologist
Dungeonbrownies is probably a spambot
Old Jul 21st, 2008, 07:48 PM       
good, anything other than 5 pickles would hav been heresy you know.