Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Jim Duncan - Weather is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 06:01 PM        HA HA
Quote:
Roger Barr is looking out for the little guy.

The little blue guy.

Barr, a Henrico County resident, plays host to the "Unofficial Boo Berry Page," a fan club for the General Mills cereal with a cultlike following. His Web site has been featured on the Food Network's "Unwrapped" and spoofed on Comedy Central's hit "The Daily Show."

But it's all about the Boo for Barr.

"Boo Berry is clearly the best of all the monster cereals," Barr said last week inside his quirky townhouse in western Henrico. "Count Chocula, Frankenberry -- I hate them. They can't compete with the flavor of Boo Berry."

And he's serious.

His kitchen cabinet is lined with boxes of the stuff, a mix of ghost-shaped cereal and tiny ghost- and bat-shaped marshmallows.

He buys in bulk when he finds it, because Boo Berry is not easy to come by. Wal-Mart in Short Pump usually stocks it, he said, and most grocery stores carry the cereal around Halloween.

Boo Berry enthusiasts visit his Web site by the thousands to find out how to special order the product from General Mills and to show their love for the cereal.

One person sent in a photo of a Stonehenge model made of Boo Berry boxes. Another guy got a large Boo Berry ghost tattoo on his bicep and sent the picture to Barr.

His site was originally called the "official" site, but General Mills asked him to change the name. In return, they sent him a Boo Berry bobblehead.

Barr's fascination with the sugary cereal began when he was a child.

"My mom didn't want me to eat it," he said. "But this cool teenager in my neighborhood had plenty of it, and I got some from him."

But Barr's life isn't all blue cereal. Born in New York, Barr graduated from Midlothian High School in Chesterfield County and attended a few colleges but didn't graduate.

Now, he's a full-time Web designer for Circuit City. He's 28 and married.

By night, he designs his own fun.

Barr's Boo Berry site is part of a larger pop-culture Web effort. He also runs i-mockery.com, where he pokes fun at defunct pop icons and products. A David Hasselhoff album and a low-budget self-defense video for senior citizens are his next targets.

"Other people's trash is my treasure," he said.

He also just launched another spinoff site, scarmageddon.com, where people can post photos of their scars and ask people to rate them.

He now has national advertising and makes enough that he's considering running i-mockery.com as a full-time job, with a side job as a freelance writer for National Lampoon's Web site. His work has appeared in Maxim, FHM and Wired magazines.

And he's just getting started.

"I try to bring things that were overlooked to the spotlight and give them a chance to shine," he said. "Like Boo Berry."

Killafew is probably a spambot
Old Sep 3rd, 2005, 11:12 PM       
You must get amused easily because I didn't really find the article funny. It sure was a pretty good article about -RoG- though.
PILLOWFIGHT is probably a spambot
Old Sep 4th, 2005, 12:05 AM       
where the hell is that article from "DIckhead Monthly"
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 04:34 PM       
Hehe yeah it's pretty crazy how many people saw that article here in Richmond. Bunch o' people at my job came up to me asking about it.

Anyway, I already posted this in my blog, but for those of you who don't read it, here's a scan of the article from the front page of the Richmond Times Dispatch metro section:

http://www.i-mockery.com/blog/pics/timesdispatch2.jpg
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 05:57 PM       
It says your work was in maxim? When was that? And was it near hawt ladies? :O

That was very funny. Well done.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Sep 8th, 2005, 12:41 AM       
Yeah Maxim has featured I-Mockery stuff before, if memory serves they featured both the Zod site and the old Martin Yan: Homicidal Chef site. And yes, there were many airbrushed women on the pages :o