Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 10:20 PM       
Quote:
That shows that this is pretty much nothing new out of the guy's mouth. It's just some rubbish shitstorm whipped up by the likes of Limbaugh, Hannity, or whomever is currently upping their ratings by calling this guy a disgrace for somethign he wrote 3 and a half years ago.
And what exactly have they said about it? Aside from their usual cheerleading?

And how does this make Rupert Murdoch richer?

This man's employer decided that they would not let him use their resources to bring unwanted heat onto them. He's done it before, this was just the last straw.

You can get all uppity and pissy and cry about how wrong things are all you want. It won't change that the university was well within their rights to drop him.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2005, 11:14 PM       
1. I don't know what they've said, and I don't really fucking care.

2. Rupert owns FOX News, if ratings are good he get's richer.

3. This man's employer hasn't dropped him, they've started a process that MAY lead to his dimissal.

4. You don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about, I'm not being "uppity and pissy," I'm just saying what's on my mind. I'm not "crying about how wrong things are" - I'm just setting myself up for the big "I TOLD YOU SO" when some shithead releases a doomsday virus or some shit and we all get to meet up in hell.

5. El Blanco can SUCK MY COCK.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:03 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
1. I don't know what they've said, and I don't really fucking care.
And yet you have an opinion

Quote:
2. Rupert owns FOX News, if ratings are good he get's richer.
And this is good ratings? Its not that slow a week.

Quote:
3. This man's employer hasn't dropped him, they've started a process that MAY lead to his dimissal.
So, why are you and davin upset?

Quote:
4. You don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about,
I have no clue what you are talking about because you keep trying to switch up and back pedal. You've even managed to cross yourself up.

Quote:
I'm not being "uppity and pissy," I'm just saying what's on my mind.
You're whining about some imagined freedom of speech violation and getting all dramatic over this non-issue

Quote:
I'm not "crying about how wrong things are" - I'm just setting myself up for the big "I TOLD YOU SO" when some shithead releases a doomsday virus or some shit and we all get to meet up in hell.
OK, tell your mommy you need more lithium.

Quote:
5. El Blanco can SUCK MY COCK.
While I am flattered that you would find me attractive, I am not gay. I'm not judging you or your lifestyle. I am just not a homosexual.

I hope you don't take this too harshly and try and hurt yourself. I'm sure in due time you will fin d someone to return such affection. I am just not that person.
Mocker
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 12:22 AM       
"And yet you have an opinion"

About some schmuck getting fired for running his mouth in a unpolitically correct manner: yes; about what Hannity may have said: no. I don't see why I should have had to explain that to you.

"And this is good ratings? Its not that slow a week."

It's not as good as when Clinton got a blow-job, I'll give you that, but it's a story about WTC and Nazis and liberal professors and something every good American can get self-righteous over.

"So, why are you and davin upset?"

I can't speak for Davin. As for myself, I'm upset that I used a genric insult "suck my cock" and you mistook it for a come-on. I mean, that's REALLY depressing.

"I have no clue what you are talking about because you keep trying to switch up and back pedal. You've even managed to cross yourself up."

Yes, I can tell by the way you quoted examples of me back pedalling, no wait, you didn't do that. I think you're full of shit.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 01:40 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
But either way this guy is still fucked. The conservative media machine will do it's thing, Rupert Murdoch will get richer, and Americans can feel OK about themselves. Yay, happy ending.
I agree that there is clearly a (dare I say) coordinated attempt by the Right-Wing talking heads to play this up, blow it up, and harp on it.

Blanco, you made some comment about it not being that slow of a news week. I think that's the point. The president is trying to sell his s.s. package, Condi is throwing the gauntlet at Iran, and other more important things. But these pundits, the Sean Hannitys, the Brit Humes, and the Joe Scarboroughs, ARE in fact focusing a LOT of attention on this. I don't think it's about money. The Weekly Standard has never made a dime for Rupert Murdoch, but it serves an ideological purpose for him. That's why these guys are focusing on this Churchill guy. It's not about him per se, but rather, it's about the "liberal campus elites" who hate America, and the south, and are the antithesis of "Joe Six-pack."

This is a culture war thing to them, no doubt.......BUT, that doesn't make them wrong about this one. The guy is a douche bag, and frankly, he sounds like a shitty professor who would only be able to teach in the most liberal, esoteric departments in the country. He said at a rally yesterday that he stood by his Eichman comments, and that all of the so-called "techno-crats" in the WTC were silently in compliance with the evil American regime. Please.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 03:46 PM       
I'm sorry I'm not contributing much to this, but I've got books, tuition, and homework coming out of my eyeballs all of a sudden. I barely have enough time to keep up with the conversation, but I like where it's going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore
I agree that there is clearly a (dare I say) coordinated attempt by the Right-Wing talking heads to play this up, blow it up, and harp on it.
But these pundits, the Sean Hannitys, the Brit Humes, and the Joe Scarboroughs, ARE in fact focusing a LOT of attention on this. I don't think it's about money ... it serves an ideological purpose for him. That's why these guys are focusing on this Churchill guy. It's not about him per se, but rather, it's about the "liberal campus elites" who hate America, and the south, and are the antithesis of "Joe Six-pack."
Kevin, you just handed me my argument. This is a culture war, and the more the public is able to call him a traitor, the closer we are to his name topping a big black list. Or worse, he could end up like Sami Al-Arian, rotting in a prison for expressing his opinions.

"Goodbye Freedom of Speech, Hello New McCarthyism" wasn't me saying "HEY GUYS NEW RED SCARE IN DA HOUSE WUT WUT," and I'll admit it was a sensationalist thing to say -- but no more sensationalist than accusing this guy of treason.
This is where it begins, this is where we set the precedent that it's A-OKAY to fire people as sympathizers.

Quote:
It merely states that Congress (i.e. "the state") will not prevent citizens from exercising their freedom.
The NCAC has even picked this one up, linky.
We're not talking about UCB staff pushing for his dismissal or protesting his lectures. We're talking about Governor George Pataki (NY, of course) and Governor Bill Owens (Colorado). Which one of them is the next McCarthy?

He knows that he's pissing people off and he resigned as chairman of ethnic studies.

Quote:
"I don't think it is appropriate that under these conditions, that I represent my department," said Churchill, who added that he has recently received numerous "credible" death threats.
So he doesn't represent his department anymore. Why does his opinion get to end his career just because it's "traiterous?" And why the fuck is this happening at the demand of Governors and radio hosts?
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women
The Center Square
Brandon is probably a spambot
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 06:13 PM       
Oh stop being so fucking dramatic. Has any legal action been taken against him? Have the big black government helicopters started hovering over his house? Has he been hauled off to Gitmo?

No, he lost his job because he chose to write nasty, stupid, hateful, hurtful things. The man slandered the victims of a national tragedy and then openly declared that he thinks more 9/11's should occur. If Churchill had been boycotted or fired for writing something racist or homophobic, you'd be quite fine with it -- hell, you might even be participating in the movement and signing petitions.
Mocker
Old Feb 10th, 2005, 07:22 PM       
And Brandon just handed me my argument.....
Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 03:31 AM       
As a professor, it's your job to publish well thought out and researched papers. Publishing some spur of the moment opinion piece on a controversial issue is pretty much the opposite of that part of your job description.
There's nothing wrong with firing a professor for the ideas he publishes, because writing down ideas is part of the job, and if his ideas are offensive and poorly thought out, not to mention poorly expressed, then he is just doing a poor job, and there's nothing wrong with firing him.
Mocker
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 10:07 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papa Goat
There's nothing wrong with firing a professor for the ideas he publishes, because writing down ideas is part of the job, and if his ideas are offensive and poorly thought out, not to mention poorly expressed, then he is just doing a poor job, and there's nothing wrong with firing him.
I agree with poorly thought out and expressed, but offensiveness should not be criteria for dismissal. Biology teachers' ideas are offensive to strict creationists, do you think they should be calling for the dismissal of professors who write about evolution?
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

Old Feb 11th, 2005, 01:44 PM       
Also, an idea that's spur of the moment isn't necessarily poorly thought out. It's hardly poorly thought out to take a look at this not from an emotional, "holy shit look at those dead guys, tragedy, terrorism" standpoint, and think about it rationally as collateral damage in an ongoing religious and economic war. If anything it's poorly thought out to, three years later, not take an objective fucking look at this.

On top of which, if this was really about publishing poorly expressed ideas or points that haven't been thought out, it would have been addressed when he first wrote the goddamn thing.

What are you guys not seeing about this situation that would make it as bad as I'm saying it is? Because it's really fucking getting there.
Did either of you even check on any of the links I included?
Here, I'll make it really easy for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAC
While the government has no obligation to fund educational institutions, once it provides funding it cannot dictate what ideas may be expressed in the classroom or in professors' published work. The university is a special kind of marketplace where all kinds of ideas can be voiced and argued, error discovered, and truth affirmed. If academia became subservient to political concerns, if controversial and oppositional ideas were banned, education would become indoctrination. Thus, the announcement by the University of Colorado Board of Regents and Chancellor they have launched a "thorough examination of Professor Churchill's writings, speeches, tape recordings and other works," searching for "cause for dismissal" is particularly distressing.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
Mocker
Old Feb 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM       
Modern McCarthyism or justice?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...portaltop.html

We were watching the news about this at lunch. I'd like to know exactly what evidence they had against her, that she willingly conspired with her client. But those kind of details don't make it into the papers.

I'm done with this thread, but I want to end on the note that I don't think we've entered a new era of McCarthyism where terrorists/arabs are the new commies/ruskies. I just wish I could say I were certain that we have not.
Mocker
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 03:35 AM       
Okay, I think that case is COMPLETELY different than what we've been discussing here.

How about we make a deal? If some politician, like George Pataki for example (a lark if you lived in NYS) turns into the next Joe McCarthy, and some sort of "list" begins to grow, then you guys can unearth this thread and tell us you told us so. How about it?
derrida is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 04:09 PM       
from counterpunch:

surprisingly (!), churchill doesn't sound nearly as EDGY or controversial when not presented in we report, you decide sound bites:

Finally, I have never characterized all the September 11 victims as "Nazis." What I said was that the "technocrats of empire" working in the World Trade Center were the equivalent of "little Eichmanns." Adolf Eichmann was not charged with direct killing but with ensuring the smooth running of the infrastructure that enabled the Nazi genocide. Similarly, German industrialists were legitimately targeted by the Allies.

It is not disputed that the Pentagon was a military target, or that a CIA office was situated in the World Trade Center. Following the logic by which U.S. Defense Department spokespersons have consistently sought to justify target selection in places like Baghdad, this placement of an element of the American "command and control infrastructure" in an ostensibly civilian facility converted the Trade Center itself into a "legitimate" target. Again following U.S. military doctrine, as announced in briefing after briefing, those who did not work for the CIA but were nonetheless killed in the attack amounted to no more than "collateral damage." If the U.S. public is prepared to accept these "standards" when the are routinely applied to other people, they should be not be surprised when the same standards are applied to them.

It should be emphasized that I applied the "little Eichmanns" characterization only to those described as "technicians." Thus, it was obviously not directed to the children, janitors, food service workers, firemen and random passers-by killed in the 9-1-1 attack. According to Pentagon logic, they were simply part of the collateral damage. Ugly? Yes. Hurtful? Yes. And that's my point. It's no less ugly, painful or dehumanizing a description when applied to Iraqis, Palestinians, or anyone else. If we ourselves do not want to be treated in this fashion, we must refuse to allow others to be similarly devalued and dehumanized in our name.

The bottom line of my argument is that the best and perhaps only way to prevent 9-11-style attacks on the U.S. is for American citizens to compel their government to comply with the rule of law. The lesson of Nuremberg is that this is not only our right, but our obligation. To the extent we shirk this responsibility, we, like the "Good Germans" of the 1930s and '40s, are complicit in its actions and have no legitimate basis for complaint when we suffer the consequences. This, of course, includes me, personally, as well as my family, no less than anyone else.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 05:22 PM       
I think that they chose the target on account of it's symbolism more than any legitimate military/intelligence threat posed by it. It inspired outrage and fear which was their goal. In other words, it was kind of a "Look what I can do!" :stuart

P.S. By this, I'm not doubting that the terrorists aren't capable of intelligent thought or planning, I just don't see taking on such a complex target (which they've attempted before) on the basis of it's military or intelligence value when easier targets could have been taken without the collateral damage. Besides, how much could the fear an intelligence agency that wasn't even doing that great of job of keeping tabs on them?

Wherever you go, there you are.
Legislacerator
ItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty okItalianStereotype is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 12th, 2005, 05:54 PM       
Incendiary in Academia May Now Find Himself Burned
By KIRK JOHNSON
<http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/11/national/11professor.html>
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/11/na...professor.html
BOULDER, Colo., Feb. 10 - Prof. Ward L. Churchill has made a career at the
University of Colorado out of pushing people's buttons, colleagues and
students say, clearly relishing his stance as radical provocateur and
in-your-face critic.

Whether it is getting arrested by the Denver police for trying to disrupt
Columbus Day, which Professor Churchill has described as a "celebration of
genocide" because of the deaths of Indians that resulted from European
colonization, or ruffling feathers in the faculty lounge, hyperbole and
bombast have always been ready tools in the Churchill kit bag, people here
say.

Now many of the offended are pushing back. The storm of controversy that has
blown up around Professor Churchill over his essay about the Sept. 11
attacks, with its reference to the Nazi Adolf Eichmann - the "technocrats"
at the World Trade Center were "little Eichmanns," Professor Churchill said
- has turned the professor into a talking point and a political punch line.
On conservative talk radio, on campuses across the country, and especially
here in Boulder, debate about Professor Churchill means debate about freedom
of speech, the solemnity of Sept. 11 and the supposed liberal bias of
academia.

Many people here say that the professor - with his scholarly record under
investigation by the university l and with Gov. Bill Owens, a Republican,
calling for his dismissal - has become a symbol of academic expression under
fire. Others worry that subjects like Sept. 11 have become "sacred," and
cordoned off from unpopular analysis. Some say that the vitriolic debate
itself is the message and that people have been transformed into mirror
images of the man they love or loathe - little Churchills, as it were, who
are just as entrenched, over-the-top and, apparently, eager to offend as he
himself.

"Two sides are being presented without a lot of people listening," said Joe
Flasher, 24, a graduate student in astrophysics. "You already have your
opinion, right. So it's one person saying what they think and then the other
person saying the complete opposite. It seems very polarized. But I guess it
is the ultimate exercise in free speech."

Student organizations like College Democrats and College Republicans have
skirmished over Professor Churchill, a member of the ethnic studies
department. The Democratic group began a petition this week saying, "The
attacks on Professor Ward Churchill are attacks on the academic freedom of
the university." The Republicans, in calling for his dismissal, said that
alumni should freeze donations and that parents should send their children
elsewhere until political balance is brought to the professorial ranks.

"It's probably in their best interest to get rid of guys like that, but why
hide what this place really is: a bunch of lunatic leftists," said Matthew
Schuldt, senior vice chairman of College Republicans.

The undercurrent of the debate, faculty members and students say, is anxiety
about how the outside world regards the university. A football recruiting
scandal and several alcohol-related deaths among students over the last year
created waves of bad publicity for the institution. Now some people fear
that everyone will think the university is full of people like Professor
Churchill, whose essay, which drew little attention at its publication after
the attacks, gained notoriety when he was scheduled to speak at Hamilton
College in upstate New York last week. It suggests little emotion about the
deaths of thousands of people on Sept. 11 and a cold logic of foreign policy
analysis salted with terms that seemed calculated to enrage rather than
enlighten.

"If he had just been a little more thoughtful, nothing would have happened,"
Uriel Nauenberg, a professor of physics and the former chairman of the
Boulder Faculty Assembly, said. "He did not have to say these things in the
manner that he did."

Nonetheless, Professor Nauenberg said he did not believe that Professor
Churchill should be forced out because of the essay, though he added that he
personally found the expressions in the essay obnoxious.

Professor Churchill, 57, a Vietnam War veteran who became a lecturer at the
university in 1978 and was granted tenure in 1991, has claimed affiliations
over the years with many vociferous left-wing groups, including the Black
Panthers, Students for a Democratic Society and the American Indian
Movement. He said in an interview that winning peoples' attention often
meant not being nice. The United States' foreign and domestic policies, he
said, are brutal, and the words to describe that can be painful.

"I don't believe in the theory that we get to treat people like dogs, but
you have to talk to us in a polite way," he said.

Faculty members say that an objection to his writing style or opinions,
however outrageous or unpopular, is not enough to justify firing him. The
30-day review of his "writings, speeches, tape recordings and other works,"
that was announced last week by the university's governing body, the Board
of Regents, must find evidence of outright academic dishonesty, said R L
Widmann, a professor of English and the chairwoman of the Academic Affairs
Committee of the Boulder Faculty Assembly.

" 'I published a falsehood and I knew it to be untrue' - that's what they'd
have to find," Professor Widmann said.
But the passions have led to some dishonesty. University officials said on
Monday, for instance, that they were canceling a speech by Professor
Churchill because of security concerns. The student organizers of the speech
had received death threats because of their support for the professor,
university officials said, and safety could not be guaranteed.

The students, whose names were not released, admitted on Tuesday that the
death threats were embellished.
"They said, 'We were just being political,' " Ron Stump, the vice chancellor
for student affairs, said. "We expressed our disappointment."

The speech came off without incident - and without any apologies from
Professor Churchill.
Many students interviewed on campus in recent days said they feared that the
lines being drawn around Professor Churchill were also creating boundaries
about what could be freely and safely talked about in the United States.

"I think it's no longer about free speech - it's turned into this kind of
thing that we can't talk about Sept 11, that it's kind of become a sacred
issue," said Erin Langer, 22, a senior humanities major from Naperville,
Ill. "People forget we're in a university setting, and the way ideas are
challenged is by looking at an extreme view. The fact that he is so extreme
challenges people to think more."

Michelle York contributed reporting from New York for this article.

a decent article, though I don't agree with everything that was said. this guy just seems like a major douche, but I'm sure nobody is questioning that.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

Old Feb 12th, 2005, 07:54 PM       
Quote:
How about we make a deal? If some politician, like George Pataki for example (a lark if you lived in NYS) turns into the next Joe McCarthy, and some sort of "list" begins to grow, then you guys can unearth this thread and tell us you told us so. How about it?