Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:45 PM        Bye-Bye Mr. Davis
Looks like the California recall is going through.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Jul 23rd, 2003, 08:52 PM       
I'm not too big a fan of Gray David, but damn, I wish I had a few million dollars to recall a guy from the job I wanted.....
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 01:57 PM       
it's mind boggling how he got re-ellected. it's mind boggling how half the people in office out there are winning elections. oh wait, i know. send the absentee ballots and voter pamphlets AFTER the election! wheeee. funny how legal loopholes are easier then proving corruption and voter fraud.

oh, and i do vote democrat in california.
Mocker
Old Jul 25th, 2003, 02:02 PM       
The absentee ballots aside, the guy still got over 3 million Californians (sp?) to vote for him.

It took 900,000 to take him off. Less than 5% of the population. Less than 5% of the population will back anything.
Mocker
Old Jul 27th, 2003, 08:42 PM       
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...on/6392630.htm

Posted on Sat, Jul. 26, 2003

California's recall to introduce new brand of campaigning

BY DION NISSENBAUM
Knight Ridder Newspapers

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - (KRT) - The Republican-led bid to oust Democratic Gov. Gray Davis has set the stage for an unprecedented recall campaign that is certain to be one of the shortest, strangest trips in California political history.

Over the next 72 days, the Golden State will pioneer a new brand of hyperactive campaign far removed from the normal yearlong vetting process for choosing leaders.

First, potential candidates, whose numbers rise daily, have two weeks to decide whether or not they think they can run a $100 billion economy. The governor's would-be successors will then have 10 weeks to raise money, hire advisors, develop a game plan, produce campaign commercials, dig up dirt on their competitors, and - most importantly - figure out what they would do if they took the governor's office.

"It's going to be even worse than a beauty contest, it'll be a bad reality TV show: Who is going to be voted off the island - only we have to live with the results for three years," said Democratic consultant Bill Carrick.

The prospect of compressing what is usually a yearlong campaign for governor has left veteran political consultants scrambling to develop innovative ways to reach voters and allow their candidate to stand out in a confusing, fast-paced race.

"It's beyond challenging," said Republican Kevin Spillane, who helped run former Los Angeles mayor Richard Riordan's unsuccessful campaign for governor last year. "There are no words to describe how hard it will be."

Look at the state of affairs for George Gorton, the political strategist for Arnold Schwarzenegger who may be about to kick off the most closely-watched campaign in the world.

Gorton, a veteran consultant who has helped everyone from former California Gov. Pete Wilson to former Russian President Boris Yeltsin to victory, is all but twiddling his thumbs at home while he - and millions of people around the globe - wait to see if The Terminator decides to jump in. Gorton has a slate of veteran operatives ready to launch the campaign but, for now, Team Arnold is treading water, and Gorton isn't used to it.

Adding to the stress is that if and when Arnold does decide to run, the team will have to deal with an avalanche of reporters demanding to know where Arnold stands on everything from gay marriage to workers' compensation reform.

"Everything is quick," said Gorton. "Especially if you're a political consultant used to having polls and a staff of 60 to 80 people on your team 60 to 80 days before an election and - instead - you're sitting in your house by yourself."

While Schwarzenegger's consultants would like to jump in as late as possible to contain a media frenzy, that will also make it more difficult for Schwarzenegger to develop comprehensive policy positions and a solid fiscal plan.

But GOP consultants say the election will boil down to one issue: Has Davis failed as California's CEO and, if so, who will do a better job.

"Are you going to see a lot of detailed policy position on agriculture in San Joaquin County?" Spillane said. "I doubt it. What people are looking for is leadership and Davis hasn't provided it."

What the race looks like will depend a lot on who decides in the next two weeks to run for governor - and the circus has already begun.

Democrats and Republicans are trying to divine what the other side is going to do so each party can outflank the other. Davis is trying to boost his chances of survival by keeping high-profile Democrats from running. If he fails, Republicans want to make sure they don't miss their golden opportunity with a crowded GOP field that splits the vote a dozen ways and turns off voters.

Even if the parties maintain discipline, the ballot is likely to be befuddling. Anyone who collects 65 signatures and turns in $3,500 dollars can put his or her name on the ballot - a low bar that has everyone from a young Democratic Mountain View, Calif., software engineer to enigmatic Hollywood blond icon Angelyne contemplating a run.

"Californians deserve an alternative," said 26-year-old software engineer Georgy Russell, who already has a Web site and a light-hearted campaign slogan: "Brains, beauty, leadership."

The prospect of a long ballot filled with fringe candidates could go a long way towards scaring off Californians. Davis pollster Paul Maslin said voters in focus groups have been turned off when presented with a mock ballot filled with scores of candidates to replace Davis.

Fringe candidates aside, the field may still include a long list of well-connected contenders. Republicans are practically falling over each other to pick up filing papers and pay the $3,500 as the first steps on the road to candidacy.

Rep. Darrell Issa, the conservative San Diego-area Republican who spent $1.7 million to put the recall on the ballot, says he is running no matter what GOP leaders say. Los Angeles businessman Bill Simon, who came within five percentage points of beating Davis last November, is angling for another shot. Former Rep. Michael Huffington paid the $3,500 on Friday. And, if Schwarzenegger decides not to run, many expect Riordan to take a second shot at Davis.

The short campaign will aid those who have a plan and a big bank account. Davis has already shifted back into campaign mode. Simon and Riordan can dust off their 2002 playbooks and Issa can rely on his three-year record in Congress.

Those with a plan then need money to get the message out - and new state campaign finance rules will make it hard to raise the cash. Donors will be able to give no more than $20,000 each to candidates, so the top contenders may have to rely on their own personal fortunes.

In a twist, however, Davis and his allies will be able to raise unlimited amounts of cash because the new political reform laws don't apply to campaign committees set up to fight the recall.

The biggest wild card, though, is the voter. Even the best pollsters can't be certain who is likely to turn out on Oct. 7 for California's first-ever special recall election. Maslin predicts that Democrats will be so outraged by the Republican-led recall that they will turn out in force.

"Right now their choices are basically: right-wing crook, right-wing boob, supposed moderate that nobody knows what he stands for, and a cigar-smoking movie actor killer," he said. In the end, Maslin added, voters will vote no on the recall rather than take the risk.

But Republican pollster Frank Luntz predicted Davis will face what he calls the "mad as hell" voter - a large, disgusted, disgruntled group of Californians so frustrated with the governor's leadership that they are committed to throwing him out no matter who is on the ballot to replace him. Luntz said he has never seen a politician with such low approval ratings - hovering at about 20 perent - and that the campaign that can galvanize voters will win.

"Turnout is going to make the difference in this campaign and the intensity is weighing against Gray Davis," said Luntz. "They are more than just angry - they're absolutely apoplectic."

---

© 2003, San Jose Mercury News (San Jose, Calif.).
Mocker

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 12:02 AM       
Yeh well that means his 3 million votes were less then 18% of the population. California has a huuuge population of illegals that can't vote anyway. He got reelected because nobody legit ran against him. A former LA cop isn't going to gain enough momentum no matter how much people hate Davis. Plus anyone who discounts absentee ballots shouldn't be allowed to serve public office ever. Legal votes must count.

Thing is he's not being recalled because of buyers remorse. Even if the Republican opposition has made a recall possible, you'd be shocked how many democrats want the guy out. Davis is bad news.
Mocker
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 01:31 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abcdxxxx
Yeh well that means his 3 million votes were less then 18% of the population.
Right, the 18% who cared to get off of their asses and go vote, as opposed to the 5% who signed a clipboard on their way into Target.....

Quote:
California has a huuuge population of illegals that can't vote anyway. He got reelected because nobody legit ran against him.
So you prefer a special election which allows 19 or more clowns to run for governor??? I hear Michael Savage is thinking about throwing his hat in....

Quote:
Thing is he's not being recalled because of buyers remorse. Even if the Republican opposition has made a recall possible, you'd be shocked how many democrats want the guy out. Davis is bad news.
I will agree with you on that ABC, make a note of it. I still don't like the process, I think polls are shit compared to the people who really went and voted. It's easy to bash somebody on the phone from the comfort of your recliner chair....
Mocker

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 11:41 AM       
You're not in California, nor do you vote there. Preventing voter fraud doesn't require 20 other candidates....but if one or two of those happened to be stronger candidates, it would have discouraged it. People got off their asses, but the votes weren't counted. You can't defend the integrity of the Davis election, while screaming about how unjust the Bush election was.

You're talking about a state where the Secretary of State has little to no jurisdiction over the practices individual Elections office practices. They have run off elections there just to avoid hurt feelings.
Term limits are a major issue out there. It's a zoo.

Oh but really, some people don't like sitting in metropolitan cities IN THE DARK without electricity when they're paying insanely high bills for their utilities by any standards.
Mocker
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 02:04 PM       
Quote:
You're not in California, nor do you vote there.
Jesus, you are such a pretentious twit, it's amazing.

I vote in ONE PLACE in New York State, but this doesn't give me the obnoxious right to claim I'm an expert on BOE procedures in Manhattan or Buffalo.

Quote:
Preventing voter fraud doesn't require 20 other candidates....but if one or two of those happened to be stronger candidates, it would have discouraged it.
I'm confused, what the hell are you talking about? My point is that there will be a huge ballot for you this October, filled with a long list of incompetent individuals. Unless they run it as an IRV election (which would be fine) rather than doing it "first past the post"style, the next governor of California will have won on a plurality of something VERY tiny.

Quote:
People got off their asses, but the votes weren't counted. You can't defend the integrity of the Davis election, while screaming about how unjust the Bush election was.
Down tiger. Relax, have a drink, take a laxative, do something. When I read your posts I envision a guy ripping his hair out ready to have a nervous breakdown....

I'm not defending the "integrity" of the Davis election, and I honestly know very little about the voter fraud issues there. I do however know that accusations of voter fraud are very common, and most high level state officials have charges of fraud brought against them by (surprise, surprise) their opponents!!!

With that said, I'm not denying it has happened. What I'm saying is that the process you are entering now will put you out of the frying pan and into the fire. I feel it's naive and short-sighted to recall Davis for just about ANYBODY. In this short time frame, the candidate with the most money to plaster his face and name everywhere will WIN. Is this what you want....?

Quote:
Oh but really, some people don't like sitting in metropolitan cities IN THE DARK without electricity when they're paying insanely high bills for their utilities by any standards.
Ok, ok, it'll all be ok.....here's my point, calm down. There are assholes all around the country who are driving their state/county/city/town/village/or hamlet into the ground because of bad policy. That's not a procedural issue, that's a policy issue and an electorate issue. Now if voter fraud is your key point for the recall, then I agree with you. But the idea that a guy can get recalled by the guy who WANTS HIS JOB, just by hiring people to petition (something I've done a lot of for various reasons, and it's often a joke) is wrong, IMO.

Again, I'm not saying Davis is a swell guy, a good governor, or anything like that. I'm not even saying the recall is totally unjust. All I'm saying is that the process they are entering into is BAD, and it may even be better were it done as an IRV race.
Mocker

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 04:26 PM       
How can you say it's "BAD" when you don't even understand "WHY" it's going on?????

Oh and thanks for the relaxation advice...maybe you just need to stop imagining internet personalities with such dillusional detail.
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:26 PM       
This reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer smeared the Sanitation Commissioner, got himself elected to the post, and then spent the year's budget in one month, and polluted the town so badly that they moved it down the road a few miles.

I wonder if this will turn out to be as funny.

O71394658 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 05:33 PM       
I say Arnold for Governor!
Mocker

Old Jul 28th, 2003, 09:09 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspadowsky
then spent the year's budget in one month, and polluted the town so badly that they moved it down the road a few miles.
davis must have one of those "homer's my homeboy" shirts cause this sound familiar.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 09:16 PM       
Um speaking of voter fraud, have you even noticed the influx of Nevadians (sp?) to sign petitions to recall? Did you notice the insanely small amount necessary to have a recall? Did you notice who's doing the recall? Is it a republican?

That all aside, CA. economy is bad and Davis is being blamed. Yes alot of democrats don't like him, however:
-when told that there is no viable democrat to replace him support for the recall goes down - CA is a very liberal state for unknowing posters who have added comments to this thread about how others don't vote in CA. yet seem to disregard that CA. is a democratic state by calling out the 'voter fraud' card.
-After they are told that the recall will cost a few million, the support for a recall goes down even further.
-The last election, the dude lost because he was a moron plain and simple in addition to being republican...and yes I AM in Cali., so you can blow me.
Mocker
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:27 PM       
Quote:
How can you say it's "BAD" when you don't even understand "WHY" it's going on?????
The two have nothing in common. But hey, if you can't contest my argument and would rather whine like a little girl, that's fine.

Davis is a bad governor. I give in, you're right. This has little to do with how you deal with it. Like I said, I'm not saying the recall us unjustified, what I am saying is that the solution is no better than the problem.

But I suppose such naive all or nothing thinking is fairly common for you....

Quote:
Oh and thanks for the relaxation advice...maybe you just need to stop imagining internet personalities with such dillusional detail.
Your mom.

punkgrrrlie10 is probably a spambot
Old Jul 28th, 2003, 10:56 PM       
Mocker

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 12:45 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkgrrrlie10
Um speaking of voter fraud, have you even noticed the influx of Nevadians (sp?) to sign petitions to recall? Did you notice the insanely small amount necessary to have a recall? Did you notice who's doing the recall? Is it a republican?

That all aside, CA. economy is bad and Davis is being blamed. Yes alot of democrats don't like him, however:
-when told that there is no viable democrat to replace him support for the recall goes down - CA is a very liberal state for unknowing posters who have added comments to this thread about how others don't vote in CA. yet seem to disregard that CA. is a democratic state by calling out the 'voter fraud' card.
The last two elected Governors were Republican.

Yes, California is liberal, but Reagan came from California. In the history of California there have been 21 Republican Governors and only 14 Democrats.

Voter Fraud bothers me no matter who the victim is. It's not a "card" to pull, it's a real issue. Same with the electicity crisis. These aren't partisan problems. Sad that you think it still means something to be a Democrat these days.
Mocker

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 12:52 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheHerbivore
Davis is a bad governor. I give in, you're right. This has little to do with how you deal with it. Like I said, I'm not saying the recall us unjustified, what I am saying is that the solution is no better than the problem..
Apparently you aren't very educated about the problem at hand then. But what else is new?

I think holding our elected officials accountable for their actions in office is a wonderful idea.

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 02:31 AM        Hmm
Or maybe a more viable option and smarter move for the Dems would have been to convince Davis to step down. As much as many California voters dislike Republicans, they sure don't seem to like Gray so much either and if you think all this is happening as a result of a clever Republican plot I think you're sorely underestimating the movement.

Obviously both sides are pretty unhappy with Davis's leadership and management, or lack thereof. It's been building for over two years. If the Republicans could have put up a viable candidate maybe Gray wouldn't have won in the first place.

Regardless, Gray stepping down would have allowed the Lt. Gov, who happens to be a Dem also to ride the term out. Then we could have gotten back to the old business of fair and square elections.

But I'm admittedly an idiot.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 09:27 AM       
Well, alll I can say is thank God this whole recall election is free.

I mean, otherwise, it could only add to Californias budget woes, and that's the real problem here.
Mocker
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 07:08 PM       
Quote:
Apparently you aren't very educated about the problem at hand then. But what else is new?

I'll repeat myself one more time for your stupid ass. The problem and the solution are two different things. I mean hey, why bother with the whole recall thing!!? Since he's so rotten, why not put him before a firing range, or maybe a public hanging....?

Quote:
I think holding our elected officials accountable for their actions in office is a wonderful idea.
Right, and you've yet to address the real crux of the argument. Your brain thinks "Davis bad, get him out." Opinion polls show a small majority of the public agreeing with you, and a nearly equal minority DISagreeing with you. The recall was mobilized by FIVE % of the population. Roughly 1 million people were given a laundry list of naughty deeds, got some sweet talking, and then signed a clipboard on the sidewalk. Wonderful how democracy works, eh?

Accountability for you would be saying to hell with REAL measures of accountability, with a truly democratic process, because clearly YOUR feelings on the matter are reflective of every citizen in California, right!?

It used to be that your check on an elected official was your ability to vote him out the next cycle. This is democracy. ABCDxxxx's version of democracy is one where a millionare can campaign for a ballot initiative, and potentially remove said public official from the seat he himself just so happens to covet.

And what is ABCDxxxx's ideal and democratic solution?? A special election with a long list of names, two months to campaign, with the winner being the guy who can out publicize the other. This is democracy in ABC's mind. Just for your sake, I hope you truly get what you deserve in October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsux
Or maybe a more viable option and smarter move for the Dems would have been to convince Davis to step down.
Having Davis step down could potentially create a dangerous precedent. From Davis' perspective, the opinion polls show that Californians, by a slow margin, support this recall. Generally, if an official starts of another term with bad polls, they see it as a GOOD thing. Why? Because it gives them the rest of that term to atempt correcting those mistakes, and if he can't, he potentially loses the election. This is our process.

The insanity of this recall process is a big reason why states such as New York don't even USE ballot initiatives. In theory, it seems more pure and democratic, and it's particularly attractive when the official is doing a bad job. However, in reality, such things are often driven and heavily funded by interest/lobby groups like PIRG, and other such groups. They force feed citizens with advertising, half-truths, all in order to get a signature or a vote for an initiative.

Hoping Davis will step down is also, if you'll beg my pardon GA, kind of naive. What should motivate him to step down? A 5% loss in opinion polls? Heck, everybody on these boards whines about how off and speculative those things are. Why else should he step down, a proposed recall put forward by 5% of the population? I think I could motivate 5% of the American population to vote for 24 hour Pizza Huts, that doesn't make it necessary or right.

Quote:
As much as many California voters dislike Republicans, they sure don't seem to like Gray so much either and if you think all this is happening as a result of a clever Republican plot I think you're sorely underestimating the movement.
Please, explain this "movement" to me. Who are they? Paid petitioners, who had a period of several months to gather up the needed signatures? To run for Executive in my county as an independent candidate, you need to acquire a couple thousand signatures over the course of roughly 2 months. Our "movement" consisted of roughly ten people with clipboards and no money.

This "movement" needed roughly 900,000 signatures, and had a paid staff of petitioners who roamed around Cali for a few months. It sounds like a lot of signatures, but with those resources, it can be done easily.

Quote:
Regardless, Gray stepping down would have allowed the Lt. Gov, who happens to be a Dem also to ride the term out. Then we could have gotten back to the old business of fair and square elections.
And if only I had a nickle for every elected official who SHOULD have done this.....

Quote:
But I'm admittedly an idiot.
No you're not.

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 08:03 PM        Sort of...
I don't want to get into the merits of the recall process argument because its already going in circles and has probably run it's course.

As for my niavety, I am not saying this makes me credible but I will add that I too live in California, and have for the past 28+ years. Davis lack of support goes far deeper than the "5%" drop in popularity polls you've mentioned. It's been building for several years and I think you'll find that all polls aside, even in relatively heavily democratic areas of the state people aren't too happy with Davis. It's education spending, it's the power fiasco, it's the budget problems, etc. I honestly believe that Davis re-election this past go around has more to do with lack of a viable option than it does with any kind of validation of Davis's leadership. I think you might discover that a lot of folks picked Davis as the lesser of two evils.

As for the "movement" forgive me if I used bad semantics. Perhaps some of the recall effort was in fact driven by stooges. I suppose there is only one way to test your theory. We'll find out when the people go to the polls again. I would imagine that will demonstrate whether or not this effort is merely political posturing or genuine discontent.

In terms of the stepping aside bit, all theorizing aside, I'm saying that the Dems in California faced a cross roads. Maintain their loyalty to the party and their candidate and point out fault in the system at the risk of losing their leadership, or cut their losses and at least maintain some semblance of control in the states affairs.

I'm not saying the voters in the fine state of California are ready to shift to the right and support conservatism (see Sen. Boxer and Fienstien, Repl Waters, etc) but I think you will see more and more bipartisan discontent with the leadership of Gov. Davis himself.
Mocker
Old Jul 30th, 2003, 10:26 PM        Re: Sort of...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAsux
As for my niavety, I am not saying this makes me credible but I will add that I too live in California, and have for the past 28+ years.
And obviously it does give you more of an expertise on the wrongs of Gray Davis. But as I've probably said 10 times now, that's not my point entirely. We have procedures we use when it comes to appointing are elected officials, and we likewise have procedures as to how we discard them. Throughout our nation's existence, these methods have changed.

My point has been that this recall is bad policy, and it doesn't put California in a better position, it in fact puts them in a potentially worse one.

Quote:
ack of support goes far deeper than the "5%" drop in popularity polls you've mentioned. It's been building for several years and I think you'll find that all polls aside, even in relatively heavily democratic areas of the state people aren't too happy with Davis. It's education spending, it's the power fiasco, it's the budget problems, etc. I honestly believe that Davis re-election this past go around has more to do with lack of a viable option than it does with any kind of validation of Davis's leadership. I think you might discover that a lot of folks picked Davis as the lesser of two evils.
Okay, but my question to you then is how should it be. Should the people of California accept the democratic process and wait to vote him out, or should a recall that will give them 3(?) years of another potentially rich yet incompetent governor go through...? Is this preferable, and more importantly, is it fair...? Several other states throughout the union are in the economic dumps, other governors have poor opinion polls. Is the recall process, as it's enacted in California, viable?

Quote:
the "movement" forgive me if I used bad semantics. Perhaps some of the recall effort was in fact driven by stooges. I suppose there is only one way to test your theory. We'll find out when the people go to the polls again. I would imagine that will demonstrate whether or not this effort is merely political posturing or genuine discontent.
I'm not sure it'll matter either way. It looks now as if Arnold is leaning towards not running, which actually takes one of the few potentially known names off the ballot. Maybe Mr. Issa can cough up another million and be your governor. Do you know his stance on various state issues? Would you be happier with him, or someone like him, as your governor???

Quote:
s of the stepping aside bit, all theorizing aside, I'm saying that the Dems in California faced a cross roads. Maintain their loyalty to the party and their candidate and point out fault in the system at the risk of losing their leadership, or cut their losses and at least maintain some semblance of control in the states affairs.
I think you're probably right, but keep in mind, a lot of these Dems backed this pony less than one year ago. To turn on him now could look like pure opportunism rather than civic responsibility. Furthermore, I think it's not fair to question whether or not this is a Republican fueled power play. It clearly IS just that, whether it's a righteous act or not, it's certainly an attempt to use discontent to grab the governor's seat. This kind of tactic tends to polarize people, not unite them. It's pretty tough to ask state Dems to understand this recall, especialy since it's the opposition party fueling the process. It's kind of like asking Congressional Republicans to support impeachment of W, simply b/c a minority in Congress have proposed it.

Quote:
I'm not saying the voters in the fine state of California are ready to shift to the right and support conservatism (see Sen. Boxer and Fienstien, Repl Waters, etc) but I think you will see more and more bipartisan discontent with the leadership of Gov. Davis himself.
And I'm sure it's warranted. Al I'm saying is the process sucks. I'd stop complaining honestly if they were going to use an IRV system for the special election. This would make more sense for such a large ballot, IMO.
Mocker

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:42 PM       
kevin - why don't you spare people the flame war and stop acting like a juvenile. talk about something you know for a change. you're just an op-ed parrot spouting off a bunch of polls.

"Why else should he step down, a proposed recall put forward by 5% of the population?"

davis only won the election by 5% to begin with. he's lost the confidence of his state and the ability to get anything done.

you don't even realize how stupid you sound creating this scenario of people being duped by the big bad clip board carrying republicans. california has the largest deficit of any state ever! a lot of people hold him responsible specifically. to understand why you'd have to understand how davis handled specific issues. you'd have to talk to some of the hardcore dems that turned their back on him. you'd have to follow the govenor on local issues that aren't making national news.

another thing - it's dumb to keep saying only 1 million support a recall because that was all the signatures they needed. plenty more would have signed.

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 02:15 AM        Sort of...
Maybe I'm missing the point. I see what you're getting at Kev with regards to the recall process setting up the potential for political power plays, but whether California voters opt to rid themselves of Gray Davis now for a shitty alternative or wait three more years for an equally shitty alternative, either way doesn't it ultimately reflect the will of the people?

If people are being duped into this recall election as a result of a simplistic Republican power grab, won't it be reflected in their vote when they vote to keep Davis?

Maybe you're right. Maybe things won't be better after a recall election. Maybe Davis will be replaced by another incompetent shit bag. But maybe not. If Davis stays, the people of the state ALREADY know what they have to look forward to for the next three years. At least a recall provides the HOPE of some kind of improvement.