Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 04:50 AM        SF Ballot - Prop H
Check out this measure on the ballot for upcoming San Francisco elections:

"Shall the City ban the manufacture, distribution, sale, and transfer of firearms and ammunition within San Francisco, and ban City residents from possessing handguns within San Francisco?"

I'm told Chicago and some other places have voted in similar bans? Now I'm anti-gun, and far from being some NRA supporter, but as much as I'd like to vote for this, I also believe in Consitutional rights, and this trend of cities attempting to excert their jurisdiction seems like scary business to me. (Would it be cool if Dade County wanted to do away with the 1st Ammendment?). Federal laws must supercede City ballot measures or else we're on our way to rolling back our system to the Civil War era. I'm also confused why liberal voters reverse their entire belief about Government, and social programs for a cause they want to rally behind . The Gay Marriage, and Pot issues strike me as huge examples. These need to be passed on a Federal level otherwise they're subverting our entire system.

On the other hand, is it much different then Nevada legalizing prostitution ? I think the difference is when the Constitution and Bill of Rights are involved. San Francisco is also going through a 10+ year struggle between it's Board of Supervisors (who come up with these refferendums) trying to operate as a Parliamentary system, and their always corrupt Mayors. It's easy to write them off... but it's likely this will pass, and get upheld in the courts.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 09:42 AM       
I'll have to double-check it, but I believe DC has a similar law on the books (or, like San Fran, is in the process of creating it).

It has clearly done wonders for the crime here, too!

"Would it be cool if Dade County wanted to do away with the 1st Ammendment?"

Well, I think this is funny, because you're talking about arguably the two most ambiguous ammendments we have. I'm sure, in some way, the 1st ammendement is in fact violated and essentially banned in Dade County on a routine basis.

The same will be said of gun ban laws like this, but then you get into that endless debate over what the authors intended, yada yada, bleh.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 11:01 AM       
Everybody should stop using guns and we can all use spears and knives and shit. Then the world will be a happier place.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 10:06 PM       
or a lot pointier.