Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 03:47 PM       
"I read an issue of preacher after reading the Weekly review here. I enjoyed it. Then I bought more. It was fun. I wish I could find another series that was fun like Preacher. Cells are bad. My uncle lives in a cell. It's ten foot by twelve and he has to read the same old boring magazine everyday. The end."
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 05:28 PM       
Gus, you're right to stay away from cape comics, they're pure shit.

Even if you are averse to the JAPANIMES, allow me to recommend Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind, the greatest comic ever.

It's not just my favorite comic book, it's my all-time favorite work of fiction, period. It's an epic, masterfully written, beautifully drawn post-apocalyptic fantasy concerning giant insects and toxic jungles and warring kingdoms and all-around badassery. It is completely fantastic and everyone should read it.

It's Miyazaki, if that's worth anything to you, so it's not going to be your typical Naruto power-level "BELIEVE IN YOUR FRIENDS!" bullshit.

You probably already have heard of these, but also check out:
Transmetropolitan (especially if you like Preacher)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Y The Last Man
Akira
Dark Knight Returns if you can stand the horrible art
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 06:32 PM       
The Dark Knight Strikes Again's art was worst than DKRs. It was just terrible.

Last edited by Nick : Aug 8th, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Aug 7th, 2011, 11:34 PM       
HOLY SHIT GW I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HELL COMIC I COULD'T REMEMBER WAS, IT WAS TRANSMETROPOLITAN YOU ARE OFFICIALLY ON THE GUS GOLD LIST

Really don't know about dark knight returns, since I HATEATEATEHATED sin city, which was supposed to be miller's best work by leaps and bounds. also really, really confused about LOEG. I was going to buy that "black dossier" hardcover special edition whatever-it-was (don't ask) off amazon, when a couple other students saw me about to do it and told me not to, since it was fucking terrible. I thought League was universally supposed to be good
pickled
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 09:55 AM       
Yeah I made a topic about the Blakc Dossier a long while back. It wasn't that great.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 10:11 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grislygus View Post
HOLY SHIT GW I'VE BEEN TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HELL COMIC I COULD'T REMEMBER WAS, IT WAS TRANSMETROPOLITAN YOU ARE OFFICIALLY ON THE GUS GOLD LIST
I was talking about Transmetropolitan weeks ago

And 'Y The Last Man' is really not that great.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM       
Eh, it's ok. Better than superhero shit.

Dark Knight Returns is miles better than anything in Sin City, I thought, but if you don't like Frank Miller, forget it.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volumes 1 and 2 are fantastic, but I haven't read that Black Dossier thing or the newest one, Century 1969. I hear it's gotten a little bit insane as of late; one of the antagonists in 1969 is Tom Riddle from Harry Potter. Bluh?

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Aug 8th, 2011 at 05:11 PM.
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 05:34 PM       
What, so Black Dossier is a sequel?
pickled
Old Aug 8th, 2011, 05:55 PM       
Black Dossier is a midquel to fill space between Vol. 2 and the current running Vol. 3. All it does is explain some more backstory to the universe. If you buy Vol. 1 and 2, you won't really be reading anything too new. All the back stories in it is way more interesting than the storyline that occurs around it all, though. It has a lot of sex, and I mean A LOT of sex, so get ready for that.

I bitched a little more in-depth about it in this thread.
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 01:53 PM       
yep, sure did see that thread there
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 05:42 PM       
Oh, that thread! Did you fellers see that i-mockery feature on i-mockery?

That was very funny. Well done.
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 06:13 PM       
I'M NOT CONVINCED IT WAS
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 9th, 2011, 11:15 PM       
OMG THIS
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Aug 12th, 2011, 11:51 PM       
Also gonna recommend Jimmy Corrigan. Good tear jerker.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 02:20 PM       
Gus, what do you think of Hellboy? Mignola's got a fantastic art style, I started reading it just for that.

You faggots are gonna read Nausicaa, right? Here, I'll make it easy.

Torrent: http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/1...aa?tab=summary

Full 7-volume run in glorious hi-res: http://www.mangareader.net/nausicaa-...f-the-wind/1/7

You now have no excuse.

Edit: ALSO CONSIDER:
Berserk: Insanely violent and awesome fantasy comic about a badass motherfucker cursed to be hunted by every demon in the universe until he dies. The TV adaptation is one of the only animes to get I-Mockery's seal of approval, and it's nowhere near as good as the comic. If you're into intricately drawn fucked-up creepy shit, you should read this comic.

Art is so-so in the beginning, starts kicking ass later.

Spoilered for size and/or weird shit
Spoilers!

Last edited by Guitar Woman : Sep 29th, 2011 at 10:11 PM.
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 03:44 PM       
I always thought Hellboy had a cool look, but never really cared enough to read it (like 90 percent of all comics). I always was more tempted to read Hitman and Hellraiser, and I didn't even read those
Ancient Mariner
Old Aug 15th, 2011, 03:45 PM       
... and I just found out that garth ennis wrote hitman while googling it to make sure that's the comic I was thinking of. Shit is consistent
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Aug 16th, 2011, 10:08 PM       
Hellboy is great. I love that blend of old myths and new stories.

That was very funny. Well done.
Is a RoboCop.

The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Aug 17th, 2011, 01:37 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman View Post
Gus, what do you think of Hellboy? Mignola's got a fantastic art style, I started reading it just for that.
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 07:35 AM       
I can't read japanese, but this japanese comic does something weird.

http://comic.naver.com/webtoon/detai...20&weekday=tue

kinda cool
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 07:41 AM       
That's Korean. And the fifth time I've seen that.

Auto-scrolling. Pretty cool huh.
The Glum Cunt
k0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contestk0k0 won the popularity contest
Old Aug 28th, 2011, 07:51 AM       
Was my first time and it kinda freaked me out at first.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Oct 2nd, 2011, 01:54 PM       
Hey, Warren Ellis does a webcomic. It's free!

http://www.freakangels.com/?p=23