Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 06:33 PM        Laptop brightness inconsistent
All right, computer nerds, I've got an HP Pavilion zv6000 laptop that's supposed to be brighter when plugged in than when running off of its battery. Well once in a while, usually when I turn it completely off and then on again later, the brightness switches. It's brighter when it's not plugged in and then dims when you plug it in. I hate this setting and only through sheer luck and a lot of not-knowing-what-I'm-doing techniques (involving a lot of unplugging while shutting down and plugging in while off and then unplugging while on then shutting off etc etc etc) I can revert it back to its normal setting.

Can someone tell me what I can do to either prevent this from happening or fix it immediately when it does happen?

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:03 PM       
I think there's a setting for that in the BIOS, I'll have to check.

I actually have the same model.

Better hurry up and get something else, then, eh?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:09 PM       
Nope, not in the BIOS.

I think it's a hardware issue, my display is screwed up as well, but it's got about three or four bright blue vertical lines. I think a connection's loose in yours.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 04:38 AM       
Probably just a problem with the power saving profiles. You can manually set the brightness on mains power here:

Control panel -> Power options (possibly slightly different in XP). You also might find that you have a hot key for adjusting screen brightness on your keyboard.

To permanently fix the problem you may just be able to remove the HP power saving profiles application (which no-doubt exists) and handle any power saving modes with the default windows application.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 03:17 PM       
Naw, I tried the power saving stuff.

There's nothing about brightnes in any application I've seen. Of course, I could be missing some.
Forum Virgin

Trenton Titan is probably a spambot
Old Jul 31st, 2007, 06:12 AM        solution
It took me at least a year to find this...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/f...name=c00380256

Change the LCD brightness
From the Windows desktop, hold the Fn key and press the F7 and F8 keys to increase or decrease the brightness of the display. If using the function keys does not resolve the problem, determine whether the Lid Actuator switch is stuck.
NOTE: The key number may vary depending on the notebook PC. The image on the key should resemble the following images: Figure 1: Brightness Level Down
Figure 2: Brightness Level Up

NOTE: During battery power operation, the notebook display will dim to reserve battery power.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 1st, 2007, 10:10 PM       
The function key serves a load of purposes.

Nice job.