Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 11:58 AM        Fake Bush documents were released by crazed Kerry supporter.
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2799919

Texan has a history of attacks on Bush

Possible CBS source has had his credibility questioned before

By MICHAEL HEDGES

WASHINGTON - Bill Burkett, who has emerged as a possible CBS source for disputed memos about President Bush's Guard service, has a long history of making charges against Bush and the Texas National Guard.

But Burkett's allegations have changed over the years, and have been dismissed as baseless by former Guard colleagues, state legislators and others.

Even Burkett has admitted some of his allegations are false.

Burkett wrote a long indictment against Bush for a Web site in 2003 in which he said he personally was ordered to "alter personnel records of George W. Bush." In that article, Burkett said that when he refused he was sent to Panama as punishment, where he contracted a disabling disease.

But when asked about that charge by the Houston Chronicle in February, Burkett said, "That statement was not accurate, that is overstated."

Burkett, 54, of Baird, Texas, has refused to return calls since the CBS report on Bush's Guard service ran last week.

On Thursday, the Washington Post and the New York Times named Burkett as a possible source for documents CBS used that experts have called fakes. The documents were faxed from a Kinko's in Abilene, the closest commercial copier to Burkett's home in Baird.

Associated Press

The home of Bill Burkett near Baird, Texas, is seen Thursday. Burkett, a retired National Guard officer, has been cited in reports in Newsweek and The New York Times as a source for CBS' report on President Bush's National Guard service. Burkett's lawyer, David Van Os, issued a statement saying Burkett "no longer trusts any possible outcome of speaking to the press on any issue regarding George W. Bush."

The CBS report used documents signed by since-deceased Texas Air National Guard Lt. Col. Jerry Killian to suggest Bush disobeyed a direct order to take a flight physical in 1972.

If Burkett is the source of the CBS documents he must have recently obtained them.

In earlier interviews, he described years of fruitless searching.

One month ago, in an essay posted on a progressive Web site, Burkett theorized that Killian would have been a likely person to know more about Bush's service. But, he conceded, "I have found no documentation from LTC Killian's hand or staff that indicate that this unit was involved in any complicit way to ... cover for the failures of 1Lt. Bush ... " Burkett went on to say, "On the contrary, LTC Killian's remarks are rare."

Several people with connections to the Texas National Guard immediately suspected Burkett was the source of the CBS report last week, and saw it as part of an ongoing vendetta against Bush and the Guard.

Burkett's attorney, David Van Os, said Thursday, "My client has not authorized me to talk about this matter." Van Os issued a statement saying Burkett "no longer trusts any possible outcome of speaking to the press on any issue regarding George W. Bush."

The questions about the CBS documents' authenticity have seemingly overshadowed the larger questions about Bush's Guard service.

CBS anchor Dan Rather on Wednesday conceded there were questions about the authenticity of the documents, but challenged Bush to answer questions about his Guard service. White House spokesman Scott McClellan responded by saying, "It is always best for journalists to stick to reporting the facts and not try to dispense campaign advice."

Questions remain about the documents used by CBS. Experts have said they are fake. Killian's wife and son have said they do not reflect his feelings about Bush, and have called his signature a forgery. Texas Guard officials noted many technical discrepancies that they said cast doubt on the documents.

And Marian Knox, Killian's 86-year-old former secretary, said she never typed the documents and believes they are fake. But Knox said they did reflect concerns Killian had with Bush's Guard service.

Anti-Bush background

If Burkett does prove to be the source of the documents, CBS got them from a man with a well-established history of Bush loathing.

In an article Burkett wrote for the Internet last year he compared Bush to Hitler and Napoleon as one of "the three small men" who sought to rule through tyranny. "Three small men who wanted to conquer and vanquish," Burkett wrote. Burkett confirmed authorship of that article in the February Chronicle interview.

Some of Burkett's friends and associates say they don't know whether he is the CBS source.

Harvey Gough, a Dallas restaurant owner who, like Burkett, fought a legal battle against the Guard, said Thursday, "I can't say he did it or he didn't do it." But Gough said Bush aides such as Karl Rove or Dan Bartlett could have "cooked them up" to trap CBS with a bogus story. That has been denied by Bush officials.

James Moore, co-author of the book Bush's War for Re-Election, which quoted charges made by Burkett, said Thursday, "I know Bill has anger at Bush and the Guard, but I have a difficult time thinking he'd take that kind of risk to fabricate documents."

One person who has heard Burkett's charges against Bush and the Guard over the years is Rep. Bob Hunter, an Abilene Republican who chaired a committee overseeing the Texas Guard. Hunter agreed to let Burkett make charges of favoritism, mismanagement and abuse by the Guard at a legislative hearing in the late 1990s.

Hunter said Thursday he came away unimpressed. "He brought up matters that none of us could believe."

That Burkett's story has changed or evolved over the years is a matter of record.

During Bush's first White House run in 2000, Burkett told reporters he overheard both ends of a phone conversation between former Texas Guard commander Gen. Daniel James III and Bush's one-time Texas chief of staff, Joe Allbaugh, that he said occurred in the summer of 1997. That was similar to what he told Hunter's committee, the lawmaker recalled.

But that claim changed earlier this year.

In February, Burkett said he witnessed documents from Bush's records in a garbage can at a Guard base in Austin.

"My eyes fixed on the first page," he said in an interview in February. "It had Bush, George W. Lt1. What I did next still bothers me. I browsed through the top five or six pages."

Everyone who could have supported the account, including George Conn, the friend who Burkett said took him to the office, said it wasn't true. Allbaugh, now a Washington consultant, called the story "baseless ... hogwash."

Texas Guard officials said no Texas Air Guard records had ever been stored at the facility Burkett named.

Burkett said in interviews earlier this year that his long-standing campaign against the Texas National Guard and Bush began after the Guard failed to provide medical care for him after he contracted a tropical disease in Panama in 1998.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 12:00 PM       
Could I 'gizz' on this before it gets locked or moved to an appropriatte thread? Naldo, you remeber how to respond in a thread, right? You do know you don't need to post a new topic every time, right?
Ronnie Raygun is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 12:04 PM       
This is breaking news worthy of it's own thread.

You don't put every story concerning Bush/Cheney under one thread, do you?

This must suck for you....
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 12:35 PM       
Breaking news? You might want to site a major media outlet then.

And no one asked you to pust all your Kerry stuff in one thread, which you know. Just try posting all your threads about Kerry's Vietnam performnce in say three or four threads.

Also, your headline is even more misleading than the news outlets you quote, quite feet.

YOU: FAKE Bush documents WERE released by crazed Kerry supporter.

The emphasis is mine.

A.) The documents are allegedly fake, sort of like the nigerian yellowcake documents were allegedly fake when W sited them in his stte of the union speech. The Bush documents may be determined at some future point to be faked, the way the yellowcake documents were

B.) You say the allegedly fake documents were released. Let me quote from the article you sited.

"Bill Burkett, who has emerged as a possible CBS source for disputed memos about President Bush's Guard service...

a POSSIBLE source. So. Alledgedly false documents might hve been released, etc, etc.

I know this sounds petty, but these are important distictions to make. For instance, when Dick Chenny said "There is no doubt that Iraq has stockpiled weapons of mass destructions" he might have done well to say he had no doubt. There were doubts, he simply chose to ignore them. Look what a mess that lead to.

I find Crazed Right Wing Ideologues re often far too sure of themselves, and that's when they aren't deliberately lying like you did in the titlle of your thread.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 04:59 PM       
This forum is turning into general fucking blabber..
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 06:04 PM       
language can be a hard thing to know how to use properly(or more importantly, honestly), and it can be rather easy to program someone's mind. General semantics
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Sep 17th, 2004, 08:53 PM       
Holy god, you're like the spin doctors that turn a baby eating a dirty cookie into "Poverty-Stricken Child Eats Bactera-Infested Cookie due to Criminal Negligence" .
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 05:40 PM       
Well, at least he has nothing to say about being a tool.
TOP CHEF
Stabby is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 01:32 AM       
CRAZED Bush Supporter In Florida Drives MANICALLY through School Zone, RECKLESSLY Endagering Children's Lives ! Possibly On Way to FIX the Elections!

It's true. I saw an SUV with a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker totally blow through a stop sign in a school zone and drive over the posted speed limit! What will these SICKOS stoop too next!?
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 08:52 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stabby
CRAZED Bush Supporter In Florida Drives MANICALLY through School Zone, RECKLESSLY Endagering Children's Lives ! Possibly On Way to FIX the Elections!

It's true. I saw an SUV with a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker totally blow through a stop sign in a school zone and drive over the posted speed limit! What will these SICKOS stoop too next!?
I believe this school zone scandal goes right to the top! Watch them try to pin this on a few rogue elements at the bottom of the RNC food chain. I mean, c'mon... SUV's, School Zone, Bumper Sticker... You can't get more Re-freakin-publican than THAT!

Greg Palast needs to get his UK-living ass back down there to Florida and start tracing the paper train all the way back to the Pentagon. Did you happen to notice if there were any minority children in the general area when this happened? That would be swee--- terrible.

I can already see the headlines...

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 11:29 PM       
Really, the only one who is claiming these are authentic documents is Dan Rather. And I am not even sure they make glasses prescriptions strong enough for him to make out the word "document" let alone be able to tell these are real or not. This is just one man's descent into senility, and since Bush and Kerry are avoiding it as if it had the word "water" in the title, it has no political weight whatsoever.
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 11:41 AM       
Gizzy? Gizzy? Are you there? Or did you just ring and run again like an angry little weiner with his panties in a bunch?

Do you have plan B yet?
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 02:53 PM       
Will this be the thread naldo posts todays (9/20) confirmation that the CBS documents are fake?