Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 12:46 PM        I-Mockery's major site overhaul begins soon!!
Welp, I've been talking about moving to a new server for a long time, and now it's finally happening. I just signed up with a new host (ServInt, the same people who host Fark) and within a few months I-Mockery will be loading faster than you've ever seen. No longer will there be worries of getting 'farked', we'll have all the bandwidth we need and then some. It's absolutely going to rule.

I have another programmer on board (a friend of Zug's) and he's going to be helping out with getting ALL of I-Mockery converted from .asp to .php . Yes, that's right, almost every single page on I-Mockery has to be recoded... it's one hell of a project, but it will be worth it. Whoreable also has a lot of .php knowledge and he'll be helping out when and where he can too. AChimp is also around to help answer questions about php if needs be. So we've definitely got all grounds covered for this project.

I won't actually transfer the domain over to the new host until we have the new site up and completely functional. So don't expect any downtime for I-Mockery while we're working on this. The site will continue to be updated 'n all that good stuff.

One thing I'm hoping to do, since the entire site will now be coded in .php, is to have your accounts here on the message board be able to interact with other sections of the site too. But more on that later.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you guys know because this is really exciting for me. The thought of not having to deal with the site getting slowed down to a crawl any time one of our big pieces is featured on a major news site is just awesome. Now the site will be able to continue to grow like I want it to.

This is gonna be a good year for I-Mock indeed.

-RoG-
Dirty Girl
Matt Harty is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 01:17 PM       
Good luck on the job.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 01:20 PM       
Quote:
is to have your accounts here on the message board be able to interact with other sections of the site too. But more on that later.
Good and bad idea.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 01:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm
Good and bad idea.
How so?
Mocker

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 01:45 PM       
I'm guessing some sort of message space after a piece is what you have in mind. If not, do enlighten us now or whenever about what else you have in mind. But if so, then whereas there's exceptional people here that would add with their comments, there's a sizable amount of people who are neither funny, nor interesting and they will take any apportunity to 'leave their mark' on any part of the internet that will pay them even the slightest attention. This is why they frequent these boards also. And whereas this is part of any message board, and there are ways to deal with it, I don't think you'd like to see massive amounts of moronity being posted under your newest piece. In the worst case everybody will just stop caring about the reader feedback, in which case it will be redunant, and in the best case it'll be mildly amusing to read all the flaming that will inescapably be going on...
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 01:46 PM       
IF IT GETS ME MORE TAIL I SAY YES!!!
Pickled Patriarch
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 02:12 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helm
I'm guessing some sort of message space after a piece is what you have in mind. If not, do enlighten us now or whenever about what else you have in mind. But if so, then whereas there's exceptional people here that would add with their comments, there's a sizable amount of people who are neither funny, nor interesting and they will take any apportunity to 'leave their mark' on any part of the internet that will pay them even the slightest attention. This is why they frequent these boards also. And whereas this is part of any message board, and there are ways to deal with it, I don't think you'd like to see massive amounts of moronity being posted under your newest piece. In the worst case everybody will just stop caring about the reader feedback, in which case it will be redunant, and in the best case it'll be mildly amusing to read all the flaming that will inescapably be going on...
Nah that wasn't the plan. I'm talking more along the lines of stuff such as, say someone on the board is going to post a music review on the music reviews site... they could use their account rather than having to type in their user info 'n stuff. Same for sending cynical greeting cards, posting in my blog, etc. All that kind of stuff will come later on though, right now we're just gonna focus on making the site switch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
IF IT GETS ME MORE TAIL I SAY YES!!!
It'll get you all the tail in a drunkard's dreams.
Mocker

Old Feb 6th, 2004, 02:49 PM       
Ah, okay. More interactivity in that way seems like a good idea indeed.

Matto is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 02:56 PM       
Isn't this site already perfect?
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 03:06 PM       
You kiss-ass.

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Banned
Location: Illinois, Alberta, Canada, Thailand, Space, Groundling Marsh, Manhattan, Man Hat Ton
ArrowX sucks
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:24 PM       
on a strictly serious note. In my opinion the site doesn't need to be ant better. Exept the lodaing times for me are somewhere between 30 seconds to a minute on my computer this being faster would be Great. also i would like to say that, the loading times are the only problem for me.

Oh God Please Keep it Up
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 07:30 PM       
I sometimes go to a site that uses this Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.2.6 and you are able to post pictures with out links. I know that this might take up a ton of band width but I don't see why old pictures couldn't be deleted automatically after a certain date. I would also like to ramble on and on like Helm and have people put emoticons everytime I post
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 10:25 PM       
Will the reviews pages get updated? If so, it will be an excellent chance for us to clean out the old shit and maybe update the requirements for them a bit.
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 10:33 PM       
Yeah. I think there should be a maximum of three reviews per movie/album. And there should be more strict rules to submitting reviews. :/
hAS RUG-BURN
Evil Robot is probably a spambot
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 10:41 PM       
Install new drinking fountains.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Feb 7th, 2004, 01:45 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjavenom
Will the reviews pages get updated? If so, it will be an excellent chance for us to clean out the old shit and maybe update the requirements for them a bit.
Yep, one of the things I really want to do is to set a limit to how many times a movie/game/album can be reviewed. Then, on the pages that those reviews exist, I'll have an area below the reviews where people will be able to post their own thoughts on the material and the original review itself. And again, hopefully people would be able to use their message board accounts to do this.