Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:30 PM        Conspiracy Theory. . .Or Cold War and Peace
I feel compelled to add that the Russians have flatly denied this a baseless rumour, but I'm throwing it out there anyway as a possibility. They have had their intellegence following this war closely, without giving any really explanation (articles on request), and this possibiliy, which unlikely, is not inconcievable.

http://english.aljazeera.net/topics/...&parent_id=258

Could Saddam Hussein be striking a last-minute deal?
WednesdayÂ*09,Â*April,Â*2003Â*/Â*Last Updated:Â*11:07PMÂ*Doha time,Â*9:07AMÂ*GMT

Iraqi president Saddam Hussein may be negotiating an eleventh-hour deal that could see him exiled to a safe country.
Â*
SpeculationÂ*has rife as to whether Saddam Hussein is dead, alive, staying with his government or fleeing. In the lastÂ*few minutes Lebanese television has reported that he is in the safety of the Russian embassy.
Â*
Al Jazeera's correspondent in Moscow reported earlier today that theÂ*Russian delegation that came under fire from US forces as it left Baghdad on 7 April may have been dealing with senior representatives of the Iraqi government in guaranteeing a safe exit for Saddam Hussein.
Â*

A Russian diplomat wounded in Iraq and his colleague arrive at the Russian embassy in Damascus

?This explains the lack of resistance by the Republican Guard and Iraqi forces,? a Russian general told Al-Jazeera on condition of anonymity.

Â*

Akram Khouzam, Al-Jazeera?s reporter in Moscow, reports that the general's claim may explain the absence of organised resistance in Iraq, even in the capital itself where communications could not have been disrupted completely.
Â*
BaghdadÂ*hadÂ*been expected to put up stiff resistance to the US-led invasion but in the event it appears to have capitulated, withÂ*the Iraqi militaryÂ*putting up less opposition than inÂ*more poorlyÂ*defendedÂ*places such as Umm Qasr and Basra.

Â*

Russian intelligence has officially denied reports that diplomats who left Baghdad last weekÂ*took with them Saddam?s secret archive, saying this allegation was being made to justify the US attack on the diplomatic convoy last week.

Â*

However, the Russian general speaking by phone to Al-Jazeera said his claims wereÂ*based on the cooperation of Saddam and a group of his close officials with the United States during the Iran-IraqÂ* war and encouragement for Saddam to invade Kuwait in 1991.
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:52 PM       
A lot of websites that report rumors leaked from Israeli intelligence are reporting the same thing, with other details describing the Lebanese government bartering the negotiations, and a list of nations that offered to take Saddam... including Syria, Iran, Egypt, and I think Libya too. The other rumor that's being reported in the European press, and even mentioned on cable news here is that Saddam has already made his way to a resort in Syria, not far from his birthplace.
Mocker
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 04:56 PM       
I've heard the same thing, but the question which arises in my mind, is why Russia? The United States was willing to hold off the invasion if he was willing to relinquish control of the government to the US or UN. Surely he did not believe he had any chance of winning, and he doesn't strike me as the sort to become a willing martyr. . .So why Russia, and why now?

I'll be the first to admit, for once, I'm completely baffled without so much as a scant theory.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:02 PM       
Russia/Iraq: Moscow, Baghdad Stress Trade During High-Level Visit
By Charles Recknagel

A visit to Moscow by Iraqi Vice President Taha Yassin Ramadan this week has underlined both sides' desire to rebuild their past high level of trade, even as the UN and Baghdad remain stalemated over lifting sanctions on Baghdad. RFE/RL correspondent Charles Recknagel reports
Mocker
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:14 PM       
You fucking moron, getting Hussein out of Iraq will have no affect on trade between the two. I think Sspad already instructed you to leave this forum. LISTEN TO YOUR ELDERS.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 05:57 PM       
I was showing that there was a history of trade and friendship with Russia.

It must be wonderful to be so egotistical. I remember that Mburbank said I must be from Narnia and I would rather be from there than in a world that you The_Rorschach put yourself in thinking that you reign supreme in any form.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 08:36 PM       
I say a lot of shite.

Seriosuly though. I think this is preposterous. What would Russia stand to gain?
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 09:04 PM       
What other country could he go to and not be turned over immediatly to the U.S.? He know's that the Russians will demand that they would decide his fate.
Mocker
Old Apr 10th, 2003, 08:41 AM       
"What other country could he go to and not be turned over immediatly to the U.S."

Pakistan, Palestine, Lybia, N Korea, France - Who offered safe passage and sanctuary less than three days into the war - Syria and possibly even Iran.

But thats a moot point. He doesn't NEED safe conduct. Bin Laden has illustrated quite well that the US is far from all encompassing. Iraq isn't so small that he can not flee undetected.