Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

The Unseen is probably a spambot
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 09:21 AM        White woman's killing a hate crime
WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. - The fatal stabbing of a 56-year-old woman at a Westchester County mall will be prosecuted as a hate crime because the suspect said "he wanted to kill a white person." Phillip Grant, 43, a negro, was indicted on charges of murder as a hate crime, murder and possession of a weapon in the June 29 killing of Concetta Russo-Carriero in the parking garage of the Galleria Mall.

If convicted of murder as a hate crime, the minimum sentence would be 20 years to life instead of 15 years to life. "The statute makes it very clear that if you intend to kill someone and intentionally select your victim based upon your belief of their race, color, religion or sexual orientation that the crime can be charged as a hate crime," the District Attorney said.

In a 45-minute tape played at a court hearing, Grant told police that he was fighting a race war and killed the woman because she was white. "All I knew was she had blond hair and blue eyes and she had to die," he said. "(She) was not an innocent victim _ because she was white." Grant, who was homeless, was a convicted rapist and a Level 3 sex offender who had served his maximum sentence. He was in the habit of roaming downtown White Plains during the day and using a county shelter at night.

The killing has produced growing support for a civil commitment law that would subject a violent sex offender to a second trial upon his or her release. A jury would determine whether a convict should be kept in a mental institution until no longer considered dangerous. Earlier Tuesday, at a hearing, the victim's husband and grown sons joined the fight for such a law. Jonathan Carriero said it should be called Connie's Law, after his mother. "Connie's Law would be very important to us and our family in addition to the community by keeping these level 3 sex offenders away from innocent people."

Newsday.com
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 11:44 AM       
It was the Galleria, wasn't it?

Meh, I still think hate crime laws are stupid. He obviously didn't hate this woman in the strict sense. He didn't even know her.

Murder is a crime, your motivation isn't.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 12:04 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco
Murder is a crime, your motivation isn't.
But intent is the difference between manslaughter and murder.

Killing someone because you hated them specifically is just as wrong, to me, as killing someone because you hate some concept they represent, but in a society where you have different punishments for different legal definitions of crime you have to have these seemingly stupid laws, because it isn't right to treat someone who killed a man through a thoughtless act the same as one who killed through a selfish or malicious act.

Longer sentences are an arbitary, nonproductive response to hate crimes though, so I agree with you that the implementation of hate crime laws is stupid. However I think considering the motivation when deciding the punishment is a good idea.
Mocker
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 01:11 PM       
We aren't talking bout MS vs murder. I'm not arguing it isn't murder. He should go to jail for life, but not because he killed a white woman. I think he should because it seems he is likely to do it again.
Mocker
pjalne is probably a spambot
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 05:02 PM       
http://www.i-mockery.net/viewtopic.php?t=16745
Mocker
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 05:14 PM       
que?
Blake Stamper is probably a spambot
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:18 PM       
I hate americans being killed, every american who loses it's life, loses it's freedom. Burn each and everyone that tries to steal the rights and lives of america. FRY EM' BASTE EM' FEED IT TO OUR POVERISH

The USA is the ONLY WAY.
When you sum it all up, what you get is a highly talented and seasoned performer who will stop at nothing to ensure that his audience is having the time of their life. So, whatever the occasion, call Blake Stamper for the best in country and variety music.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:39 PM       
lol.

You have to wonder, though. Is that a laughter lol or a mocking lol.

Imagine the implications.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:42 PM       
Don't give me that pinko bullsh*t doubletalk.
When you sum it all up, what you get is a highly talented and seasoned performer who will stop at nothing to ensure that his audience is having the time of their life. So, whatever the occasion, call Blake Stamper for the best in country and variety music.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:44 PM       
It's not double talk, it's triple talk. Notice the three seperate lines? Try reading them ALL THREE AT THE SAME TIME and you MIGHT discover a treasure prize of informative goodness.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:49 PM       
I don't fall for any propaganda, I will not read your ignorance to my freedoms and anyone else's (as long as they live and love the US as much as me)
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 04:54 PM       
OK HORRIBLE CHARACTER, WHATEVER YOU SAY!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:02 PM       
That's right, khaljorn has horrible character for being a true patriot.

What does that even mean, khalljorn, sounds like a terrorist, or french, cowards either way.

BANNED

Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 05:59 PM       
It means, "USA sucks and so do you uncle sam sticks his wang under your nose".
Seriously, it's in the secret terrorist language that us terrorists speak while we're posting on message boards online on a joke website instead of posting on forums talking to other terrorists about bombing blue buildings because our life is really relaxed it's not like the news makes us out to be i mean my friend bin ladin enjoys pink boots more than anything in the world you should see him inthem he looks hot. I love mr. pink boots. ALL US TERRORISTS MUST STICK APART.

Zero Signal is probably a spambot
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:41 PM       
Execute him.

I have no desire to pay for his food, his gym and his cable TV for the next 30 to 40 years.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 11:52 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake Stamper
That's right, khaljorn has horrible character for being a true patriot.

What does that even mean, khalljorn, sounds like a terrorist, or french, cowards either way.

True Patriot = Bush sac-rider......
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 11:54 AM       
aka Gadzooks.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:05 PM       
Quote:
My gay ass blog
Which words are we meant to inflect?

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:28 PM       
Take it anyway you want it.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 05:31 PM       
I will.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
Old Aug 5th, 2005, 06:05 PM       
If the rumors about you down by the docks are true, you already do.