Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 10:40 AM        Republican Ad campiagn featuring Osama
What do people think of this? Legitmate? Despicable? Ironic? Smart? Johnson-esque?

GOP to Air Ad Warning of Terror Attacks
By Jim Kuhnhenn
The Associated Press

Friday 20 October 2006

Washington - The Republican Party will begin airing a hard-hitting ad this weekend that warns of more cataclysmic terror attacks against the U.S. homeland.

The ad portrays Osama bin Laden and quotes his threats against America dating to February 1998. "These are the stakes," the ad concludes. "Vote November 7."

Brian Jones, a spokesman for the Republican National Committee, said the ad would run on national cable beginning Sunday, but he declined to discuss specifics of the buy.

The commercial tracks with Republican Party strategy to make the war on terrorism a central theme of this election. It will air as recent polls show Republicans losing ground as the party best able to combat terrorism.

Last month, President Bush made the war against terrorism a recurrent topic in public appearances. But his message was drowned out by the e-mail sex scandal involving former Republican Rep. Mark Foley of Florida and by increasing fatalities in Iraq.

The ad displays an array of quotes from bin Laden and his top lieutenant, Ayman al-Zawahri, that include bin Laden's Dec. 26, 2001 vow that "what is yet to come will be even greater."

The ad also cites al-Zawahri's claim to have obtained "some suitcase bombs," followed by a scene that appears to show a nuclear explosion.

Despite al-Zawahri's claim, portable nuclear devices are believed to be particularly difficult to produce and elusive to rogue regimes and terror groups.

The ad is also featured on the RNC's Web site. The party said the ad, called "The Stakes," will be e-mailed to millions of GOP supporters, activists and the state parties.

Democrats denounced the ad as scaremongering.

"This is a pathetic move by an increasingly desperate GOP," said Democratic National Committee Communications Director Karen Finney. "Clearly Republicans are so afraid of their abysmal record they can't offer one example of what they've done to keep America safe."

Former U.S. Navy Vice Admiral Joe Sestak, a Democratic congressional candidate running against incumbent Rep. Curt Weldon, R-Pa., said the war in Iraq has made Americans less safe. "It's disturbing that the Republicans in Washington are trying to reinvent history with this latest message of fear," he said.
Grislygus' best friend
Azrael is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:48 AM       
You know they really don't have to do all of these sensationalism garbage. All they would have to do is get back to traditional Conservatism, stop trying to erode the Bill of Rights, and cut out all of the religiuos nonsense. The Democrats are nothing more than a joke right now, running around like headless chickens trying to play catch up. If the current GOP regime would show an ounce of common sense they would easily win the upcoming elections. Something like this wil only disgust a rational thinking person.

But it very much is scaremongering.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:53 AM       
I think it may be a littl too late for common sense.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 11:58 AM       
Negative Ads work, so unfortunately, yes. Smart.

They want to reclaim terrorism as their niche.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:08 PM       
Negative ads have worked, but I think this one may be a little over reaching. It depends on response. People have short memories, but it is possible to remind them that W didn't mention the Big O's name at all for over a year, and finished the year by saying on two separate occasions that he wasn't concerned about him.

Also, his administration went on a whole thing a few years ago abot how no one should give play to Osamas messages, because at best they encouraged people to kill Americans and at worst they might contain secret coded messages for sleeper cells.

You are, unfortunately, quite correct about negative ads, and so far no one has really screwed up by going negative, but it's bound to happen someday. For instance, if one ran an ad that said

"It's said my opponent has sex with dead children in broad daylight at crowded shopping malls. Can America really afford that kind of leadership?"

It would probably backfire.

Then again, maybe not.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:13 PM       
I don't think this Ad is as extreme as the example you just provided. Certainly, voters have a cap on how negative they can handle. But really, it depends on region and district. Some of the shit that gets aired in little southern districts is amazing....

The problem with Ads. like this is that everyone (maybe?) will say how rotten it is, but it will still be effective. It's always the way with these sort of spots. Nobody remembers the Ads. where Candidate Bob talks about his record, hugs his kids, and smiles. They do remember the one where Candidate Mike is quoted as saying "George Bush is the best guy ever" with creepy music playing in the background.
=======

Preechr is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 12:35 PM       
This election is a foregone conclusion already. Neither side will come out of this thing with a clear majority in either house, but I doubt the Dems will take control of anything. I'd bet against it. Ads have nothing to do with it at this point.

How can someone who obviously thinks so much of their ideas have so little respect for expressing them? How can someone who so yearns to be taken seriously make so little effort?!
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 01:19 PM       
we need to be as powerful as the bear
if there is a bear
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 07:36 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrael
Something like this wil only disgust a rational thinking person.

But it very much is scaremongering.
Well call me Captain Irrational!
Unmedicated genius
Courage the Cowardly Dog is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 09:56 PM       
way to pander GOP.

It's almost like democrats airing commercials about welfare or politicains in general using the phrase "money for education" to get whatever they want as if schools can be fixed by throwing money at them.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Oct 21st, 2006, 12:13 PM       
if i remember right in our education system most money goes to schools that are doing well anyway. It's not like it's going to fix our education system to help schools that are doing fine with more money. The only schools that could probably use some more money is poor schools, and even then it won't do much. Too many stupid parents "educating" their children into neurosis.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Oct 23rd, 2006, 12:34 AM       
I coulda sworn that said "featuring Obama" and man am I disappointed it did not.