Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 12:05 PM       
Well said.

Wherever you go, there you are.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 12:37 PM       
Shach, unless you either know something I don't about the particulars of this case, or for some other reason believe there is no possability the charges as they have been portrayed are false, I'd withold Judgement.

Suppose, for the sake of argument, prisoners have been tortured to death, with your superiors knowledge. What might happen to you if you were to report this to your superior, or to try bucking up the chain of command?

Might you not feel a moral obligation to do whatever you could?

Granted, that's purely hypothetical, but in the absence of any evidence at all, I'd urge you to assume innocence until guilt is proven.

All I'm saying, is this smells like a story to me, and a big one. Maybe it's all very simple, very cut and dried, and it will all come out in the wash. But personally, I think the intense secrecy surround camp X-ray has more to do with what's going on there than it does National security. In the absence of evidence, I will assume innocence on the part of our leadership. But it's disturbing to me that our leadership is so heavily invested in maintaining a constant lack of evidence.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 08:19 PM       
Quite right Max, I simply wished to point out that should the charges against him be proven. . .His guilt can not be mitigated by intent, no matter how earnest it may be.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 10:00 AM       
That's true. It should be remembered though, that obedience to orders doesn't always wash as a defense when those who followed them go on trial.
Mocker

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:03 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
That's true. It should be remembered though, that obedience to orders doesn't always wash as a defense when those who followed them go on trial.
You'd be suprised how far it CAN go, Max. Considering the fact that the detainees at GTMO are "in the spotlight", so to speak, of the world, do you really think that those in command are really going to chance any mallevolent, behind-the-scenes conspiracy? In addition, with our country being the so-called leader in the fight to ensure human rights, do you think we'd risk this level of hypocrisy for all the world to see? Even though they may hold their cards a little closer to the vest, the military PAO is just as susceptible to media scrutiny as any civilian entity. Really Max, that sounds more like a movie of the week and less like your normal, rational thought.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:18 AM       
"Really Max, that sounds more like a movie of the week and less like your normal, rational thought."

Kelly needs to do standup.
Mocker

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:22 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceZeb
"Really Max, that sounds more like a movie of the week and less like your normal, rational thought."

Kelly needs to do standup.
Vinth, the only time that I'd stand up for you is to unzip my fly while I'm pissing on your grave.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:47 AM       
You would piss on the grave of someone that is just an avatar and text on a message board?

Man, you're warped.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:54 AM       
That comeback was complete and utter shit.

Old Sep 29th, 2003, 11:56 AM       
Wasn't supposed to be a comeback; it was meant as an observation.
Old Sep 29th, 2003, 12:27 PM       
Kelly, if you'll slap the irriating dung fly buzzing around I'll try to answer your point, that being the nature of discourse.

We don't know how many people are there.
We don't know their names
We don't know their ages, though the Army admits
We don't know when or if they will be charged
The only knowledge we have of them comes from the people holding them.
No one else is allowed any contact.

THAT's the spotlight?
Mocker

Old Sep 30th, 2003, 12:11 PM       
This is kind of a catch-22. You're stuck between the public's right to information while at the same time you want to maintain security to protect the information, u.s. troops and possibly those being detained. Hard decisions really. Where would you draw the line? I'll give you a hypothetical, assuming that the Al Qaeda organization doesn't know who's being detained (we hope). What would happen if one or more of the detainees started opening up with the info like a faucet and the Al Qaeda knew, or had an idea who, it might be? How is that serving us or that particular detainee? To extend the point further, if all the detainees even thought that their identities were known, how likely do you think they would be to give any info at all with the knowledge that once they give the info the best that they can hope for is protection by us?