Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Robot
Zero V2 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 02:27 PM        About Sprite Ripping.
Is there software out there that can take a video and seperate every frame individually for editing purposes? It would make everything so much easier if there was.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:01 PM       
Haha, believe me, I wish there was.

Furthermore, you wouldn't want to rip sprites from a video of game footage... they'd be way too blurry. You want those sprites to come directly from the game. Unfortunately, that means you need to capture them one thing at a time and reassemble them. That's why there's usually a long delay between our new flash game releases here on I-Mockery.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:19 PM       
What is I-Mockery?

That was very funny. Well done.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:23 PM       
Some website.
The Unicorn
Sam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contestSam won the popularity contest
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:27 PM       
Why would some website copy the name of our message board?
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:38 PM       
It's the same reason that one dude stole Esuohlim's name to make that Vampire Freaks page.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM       
The Internet is full of copy-cats
Robot
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 09:34 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
Haha, believe me, I wish there was.

Furthermore, you wouldn't want to rip sprites from a video of game footage... they'd be way too blurry. You want those sprites to come directly from the game. Unfortunately, that means you need to capture them one thing at a time and reassemble them. That's why there's usually a long delay between our new flash game releases here on I-Mockery.
Oh-ho! On the contrary!

I use FCEU 0.98.15. They don't have it on their site anymore (instead replaced with the FCEUX, which doesn't run as fast for me), but it does have an AVI recording/output function which retains the exact quality from the gameplay.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 10:04 PM       
use virtualdub, dummy
Pickled Patriarch
Old Mar 20th, 2009, 11:25 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero V2 View Post
I use FCEU 0.98.15. They don't have it on their site anymore (instead replaced with the FCEUX, which doesn't run as fast for me), but it does have an AVI recording/output function which retains the exact quality from the gameplay.
Oh gotcha. I thought you were talkin' about grabbin sprites off of youtube videos 'n what not.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 04:42 AM       
more in-depth and less snippy response: virtualdub has an option where you can export every frame of a movie as a .jpg, .tga, or .bmp, it's how i made this .gif (although i, being lazy, did actually just d/l a gameplay movie off youtube)

and if you don't want to use the full frame VD also has the ability to crop it to just the part you want, also you can delete parts of the movie so you only export the frames you want
Pickled Patriarch
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:01 AM       
Does it allow you to remove characters from their backgrounds and still save the animations? Say, for example, I'm playing Super Mario Bros. 2 and I want to have an animation of Luigi jumping, but I want it to be without the game background showing behind him. Just a transparent gif of Luigi's speedy legs jump. Can VD do that?
OH GOD
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 05:59 AM       
no
Robot
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 09:56 AM       
Would I at least be able to copy each frame I need into Paint, then take the stuff I need from there?
dead end
mew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty okmew barios is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 10:48 AM       
nesticle screenshots preserved the difference between background black and the black in a sprite border. also i think it could turn off the background layer. no modern emulator seems to do either so sadness is forever :< you'll just have to draw your own sprites it's the only option
Robot
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 11:06 AM       
Oh, wow. This actually works great. I just screenshot the current frame and copy what I need, right off of it.

Saves me the trouble of working off the emulator, and I don't need to constantly pause anything to get what I need--I can just take everything right out of the video.

I appreciate the help, thanks for the recommendation.

If Nesticle is still around, would you provide a link to it?
Level 29 ♂
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 11:36 AM       
I had good luck with JNES, but it's been years since I used it.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 03:38 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mew barios View Post
nesticle screenshots preserved the difference between background black and the black in a sprite border. also i think it could turn off the background layer. no modern emulator seems to do either so sadness is forever :< you'll just have to draw your own sprites it's the only option
Yeah, I loved that feature. Being able to select what layers you wanted to turn on 'n off was awesome. I use Nester these days, but it doesn't have those features at all.
Robot
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 08:58 PM       
Finished for today.

I got the running animation done, and I used it and recolored it to create a new avatar.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 10:57 PM       
Looks good man. You should try making the background transparent... it'd probably look even better.
Robot
Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 12:03 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
Looks good man. You should try making the background transparent... it'd probably look even better.
Nah, it's one of my traditions to put 50% gray in the background of most of my works.