Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Party in my pants!
cestkathryn is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 01:15 PM       
I got the Wii recently, and I really like it. I am not a hardcore gamer so I'm not knowledgable about all the bells and whistles, and I'm easily amused, but all I've played is Wii Sports and Splinter Cell because the games are expensive. The graphics are good, and like Chojin said, somewhere between Xbox and the 360.
Banned
Microshock is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:33 PM       
u got splinter cell and not zelda!?!?!?!

shame...

run out and get zelda right now. Now.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:39 PM       
Yes, because it's impossible to enjoy Splinter Cell without playing Zelda.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:47 PM       
Oh yes, sir.
Party in my pants!
cestkathryn is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:10 PM       
Chill out, I will get Zelda when it's in stock!
Son of a Sandworm??!
timrpgland is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM       
Make sure to get a Gamecube copy too.

XBOX LIVE: KefkaGrim
I b Willies Cookie Tester
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 05:40 PM       
Fuck buying it, I'll use chojin's.
Random Annoyance
Zinger is probably a spambot
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 06:18 PM       
I got mine for Christmas, so far I only have Zelda and Wii Sports. Waiting for Super Smash Bros. Brawl like a kid waiting for an Ice Cream truck on a hot day.
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 06:39 PM       
Did you want a cookie?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 06:51 PM       
Don't talk to her Zinger. She only wants your body.

And I am very much waiting for SSBB with baited breath.
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 06:58 PM       
Zero, I'm quoting that, k?

Seriously, its quite funny.
Lenor sucksLenor sucks
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 07:02 PM       
delete post
DistantJ is probably a spambot
Old Mar 5th, 2007, 08:29 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by cestkathryn View Post
I got the Wii recently, and I really like it. I am not a hardcore gamer so I'm not knowledgable about all the bells and whistles, and I'm easily amused, but all I've played is Wii Sports and Splinter Cell because the games are expensive. The graphics are good, and like Chojin said, somewhere between Xbox and the 360.
That's why I bought the Wii. Because I'm not hardcore. I just want fun. And it's the best games console I've played on since the MegaDrive (and I've owned a PlayStation, N64, Dreamcast, GameCube, PS2 and even an Xbox 360 at one point).

They made Streets of Rage downloadable now!!
Mocker

James sucks
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 02:56 AM        I'm still not sold on the Wii (long)
asdfasdfasffas

Last edited by James : Mar 19th, 2007 at 09:59 PM.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 05:24 AM       
great post, I'm a bit disappointed with the wii myself so far, it might turn out like the DS, with a poor launch window, but with some great games in the later months (the DS lite launch being a massive second wind regarding my enthusiasm for it, along with a decent selection of games at that time)

it would be nice to see Nintendo do a great new starfox game (at this point we have more average games than fantastic ones), especially after the teaser of sorts in wario ware

it is doubtful that the wii can replace the 360 or PS3 for proper gaming, but the wii will hopefully be able to get a couple of stand out titles to extend its use past the novelty stage

and yeah, the online sucks balls

dipshed
GADZOOKS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:08 AM       
Why don't you make this post when the system is out at least a year

I'm not getting a Wii, there are no games I see worth spending 250 dollars on. That's why I buy a console, for the games and not the controls. It's going to be a system I'll get 8 years from now on Ebay for 50 dollars, when Mario Galaxy and maybe 3 other good games are out.

You also seem to have some delusions of grandeur with the Nintendo 64. You don't remember the fact that for the first few months there was nothing to play but Mario 64, Waverace, and PILOTWINGS. It wasn't until about 4 or 5 months that Mario Kart came out, and then it wasn't until 1998 until Ocarina was released. But did anyone complain? No because "HOLY SHIT I CAN PLAY MARIO IN 3D" held people over. Otherwise, the first years of Nintendo 64 were awful.

But really, the system just came out. Nothing is expected of it until after MAY. You aren't saying anything anyone has already said it one of the 300 Wii threads we have here. So unless you are sending this to get a job at Destructoid or Joystiq, I fail to see it's point.

Last edited by GADZOOKS : Mar 6th, 2007 at 06:38 AM.
DistantJ is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:28 AM       
To be fair, like all games consoles, it all depends on you.

You're not wrong to not want one, just because everybody else does, and just because everybody else wants one and you don't doesn't mean that they're misguided or making assumptions.

I have the Wii, simply because I was going off gaming after things became needlessly complex and focused on intense enemy AI and strategy, which I really don't care for, whilst Wii brought back the fun and simplicity which I remember so fondly from the old days.

Wii speaks more to people like myself, who see gaming as a casual fun hobby, and for those who like to follow the Nintendo franchises like Zelda. If you're into high definition advanced gaming with clever AI and intense gameplay mechanics, then you definitely want to look the other way.

Quote:
The motion sensing just replaces button pushes with arm waving
Let me just correct you there - this one really depends on what game you're playing and the developer. A lot of the earlier games do just emulate button presses with motions, because they were developed for the GameCube hardware and later moved to it. If you play Wii Sports Tennis, although the character on the screen swings his bat in the same animation each time, the speed, direction, etc, at which you swing the remote, always affects how the ball will fly.

At the same time, though, in games like Zelda, where instead of pressing B to sword you just flick your arm around a little, I can tell you that for people like myself, it's very satisfying. I wouldn't go back to a GameCube controller for Zelda now. When you can leap out of your seat and go crazy whilst fighting off a boss, I just find it brilliant fun.

There's also the 'pointing', which, while it requires a bit of trial and error with setting up the infared bar and getting used to the position of it, can be brilliant in first person games. I found Red Steel to be brilliantly satisfying to play, being able to just move my aim by moving my arm rather than an analog stick or mouse, having the aim on the screen independant rather than always having to look in the very centre, it's like the old days of Duck Hunt or House of the Dead, but with full control of your character's movement. In Call of Duty 3, you only see the front of the weapon on the screen, like a classic FPS, but it moves left, right, up or down and turns slightly depending on the angle of your hand, and, moreso than Red Steel, it can actually feel like you're really holding the gun you see on the screen. I find that so satisfying.

I wouldn't complain about the Virtual Console at all (other than it's lack of button re-mapping on the Classic/Gamecube control pad). Sure there are some crappy games on it, but some people might still want those. I'm hoping that all of the main games from each system will appear eventually. Being able to play those classic SEGA MegaDrive games I remember from years back on a new console with a wireless controller, without dusting off some old cartridge, is brilliant if you ask me, and the lineup is a hell of a lot better than that on Xbox Live Arcade (not that that one's particularly bad, I mean, they have DOOM! :D).

Quote:
Motion sensing is an overhyped gimmick
I wouldn't call it that, really. It doesn't change the future of gaming, not for the hardcore gamers, but for people like me who are just looking for a laugh, it's the best thing since sliced bread. Also it's worth noting that my Mother and Father love to play on the Wii, and neither of them can play videogames with a gamepad. Even my Grandfather has played on it a few times. Using motions instead of buttons just makes it that much easier for them.

It's also fun when I have a friend over playing a game, let's say, Red Steel, and when they ask "How do I reload?", instead of me saying "B button", I get to show him what he has to do with his arms.

It's NOT a 'replacement' for gamepads, rather an alternative. I definitely can't see the PlayStation 4 and Xbox 720 using motion sensing remotes, and if they do, I think it'd be a foolish thing to do.

Wii may be selling faster than any other console, but to different people. I was always a SEGA fan (though Nintendo are pretty cool, and the PlayStation was great too), I always liked Arcade-like games where you just get a good atmosphere and good fun, without having to do too much thinking and without having to have crazy skills (It's official, I suck at difficult games). Wii seems like the best choice for people like myself - not just for the motion sensing, but for the style and design of the games, too. Since the motion sensing keeps things interesting, the games seem to stay more simple and don't get up their own asses with complexity.

I love it, but I can see why others wouldn't. I'd reccomend that you buy an Xbox 360 (or a PS3 if you want to play MGS4 or Final Fantasy) instead, because it'd be more suited to you. Just becasue the Wii is hyped, doesn't mean you should buy into it.

I hope I helped.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 06:35 AM       
I haven't read any of the long posts in here. I just wanted to say that I like my 360 and I played the wii and it was really fun with the novelty of playing bowling like that, but I wouldn't wanna play regular games like that :O

It's a fun system but I don't like standing up and moving around like a douchebag to get my guy on screen to do something. It definitely is more fun than I thought it'd be though.

That was very funny. Well done.
Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 10:29 AM       
I'm excited about eventually getting a Wii but I don't mind waiting for some awesome games to come out. I did the line thing a couple times but I've stopped doing that. I anticipate the Wii being my break away from "normal gaming" for the most part with some epic titles here and there. It'll do its job and is fun to play. It's just different.

OK
Black Flag is probably a spambot
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 11:52 AM       
what is the point of making this thread?

ok, james, it's understood you don't like the wii and aren't impressed by the controls

it's NOT that big of a deal man. if you don't like it then don't like it just shut up about it oh my god
dipshed
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 12:56 PM       
that's what I said, but DISTANT J had to flood the thread with a bunch of garbage babble

Son of a Sandworm??!
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:11 PM       
Umm so what's the point of any thread?

This is a forum.... right? To talk about gaming.... right?

was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM       
I agree with James to an extent, and while I feel that it'll take at least until the holiday season to find games release with the Wii's abilities truly in mind, it's easy to get exasperated with the system as-is. The Wii's biggest problem in my estimation is that it is so very, very easy to make a terrible game with it. With the DS, uncreative people can just toss a map onto the other screen, but with the Wii, the throwaway option seems to be 'uhh, let's map this to some MOTION SENSING!' The worst is when some genius decides to map the nunchuk's tilt to camera control, because the stance many people adopt when playing nunchuk games makes them hold the controllers sideways.

So far ALL of my favorite games for Wii don't use the Nunchuk at all. That attachment in particular makes the Wii feel like I have to put some time aside to play it (like I would with any other system), but just being able to pop the system on with the remote's power button and then just using that is easy and feels natural and simple. Plus, I hate the cord that connects the remote and nunchuk and I can't believe they actually released it like that ;< That cord severely limits the number of motions you can easily do, and I've whipped myself in the face a few times already trying to do the 'cow toss' in Rayman with that thing attached.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:40 PM       
Also, I think Nintendo should release new remotes with extra buttons on the bottom and a larger D-Pad (sorta like with Sega did with the Genesis). I hate having to connect a classic controller to play a quick VC game, and even though I have 4 wavebird adapters attached, I prefer games that I just tilt the remote sideways for, and therefore I lean toward nes/turbografix/genesis games when I do play the VC.
dipshed
Old Mar 6th, 2007, 01:41 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by timrpgland View Post
Umm so what's the point of any thread?

This is a forum.... right? To talk about gaming.... right?
f*ck you, dw**b

We have a Nintendo Wii thread already, with many of these things already said. That's the point.

Last edited by GADZOOKS : Mar 6th, 2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: Swearing