Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Banned

TheCoolinator is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 03:42 PM        Why the old 1978 BattleStar Galactica is better than the new one....

Just a few years back I was still in college. While it was an enlightening experience it was also tedious. That’s why whenever I was granted a day off from the powers that be I made the best of it.

On more than one holiday away from the dusty old lecture hall I remember waking up and turning on the TV in an attempt to catch a glimpse of day time programming. I was giddy in anticipation to see shows like The Price is right, McGuyver, Knight Rider, Live action Hulk / Spiderman, and Press Your Luck. No whammy!!!! I vividly remember it was 10:00am and I was flipping through the stations when all of a sudden I stopped at the SciFi channel. I starred motionlessly at the monitor expecting some obscure direct-to-DVD SciFi Channel produced movie that was already being dumped into bargain bins across the USA.

As the commercials faded from sight I saw a trio in futuristic garb and scenes reminiscent of the Star War’s imperial fleet. The three people were having a very serious discussion on what seemed to be a bridge of a spaceship. As I took a closer look these men were none other then Lorne Green, Richard Hatch, and Dirk Benedict. At this point I sunk back and observed quietly. I noticed that the acting wasn’t cheesy or over the top. It was very professional; the veteran actor Lorne Green was impressive as Commander Adama. He showed traits of a true leader calm, decisive, and compassionate, Dirk Benedict was the carefree ladies man with the heart of gold and Richard Hatch was the stoic son of the great commander. The sets were intricate, the battle scenes were interesting, and the whole entire show was very positive all around. Something you don’t see too much now a day. It wasn’t just mindless action and explosions, there was meaning behind each episode and a whole army of personalities and emotions all going on at once. I was immediately hooked. Now I'm not a novice when it comes to Science Fiction series. I’ve been a fan of the original Star Wars movies, Farscape, and Star Trek: The next generation. Battlestar mixed all these elements perfectly. The story, the people, the effects, everything was unique and flowed well.

Shortly after I discovered that a new of BattleStar Galactica series was on so I gave it a shot and was immediately disappointed. The show was too dark, depressing, everyone was paranoid and nervous. It was like 24 with Jack Bower but in space. It was a let down. The final nail in its coffin was the grotesque CGI effects. The Cylons weren’t even live action; they were computer generated shadows of their former selves. Now I’m not saying the actors in the Cylon costumes were always on top of their game. There was many an episode where Cylons miss their marks or blatantly stumbled on something because of poor visibility but they were real nonetheless. When you saw a bunch of men in chrome plated plastic lumbering towards you with black toy guns you ran! In the case of the “new” Battlestar Galactica you just laughed. You laughed until you cried and then you turned it off.

After being depressed from watching what they have done to the series I asked myself an important question, What do fans of good television do now that most stations are stuffed with utter garbage? Well, I came to only one solution, purchase DVD box sets of everything meaningful that you can remember before it’s out of print forever!

I will leave you now with a quote from Dirk Benedict regarding his opinion of the “new” Battlestar Galactica series.

Quote:
Benedict was sharply critical of the revived series, and the changes to the story and characters. A May 2004 article in Dreamwatch magazine, entitled "Starbuck: Lost in Castration",[10] revealed his disdain for the re-imagined series, its dark tone and its moral relativism. Benedict said,

"'Re-imagining', they call it. 'Un-imagining' is more accurate. To take what once was and twist it into what never was intended. So that a television show based on hope, spiritual faith, and family is unimagined and regurgitated as a show of despair, sexual violence and family dysfunction."

Last edited by TheCoolinator : Mar 16th, 2010 at 11:24 AM.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 04:09 PM       
IT'S A CONSPIRACY
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 04:40 PM       
God forbid they make something different.
BOO! A SPOOPY GHOST :x
Esuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contestEsuohlim won the popularity contest
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM       
Coolinator, you're not very cool at all are you

TomWritesAboutStuff.com - The #1 Worst Blog
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 05:56 PM       
Fucking hell, it's a clone of every single student-submitted editorial I had to edit back in my high school newspaper

AAAAAAAAUGH GOD FLASHBACKS, FLASHBACKS CHARLIES IN THE TREES AND STIFF WRITING EVERYWHERE MAKE IT STOP
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM       
Caprica is the new old
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 06:49 PM       
You remember watching live action Spider man and Battlestar Galactica? You're pretty old.The times they are a-changing, grandpa. Just accept the fact there will always be new versions of older franchises, and that people will one day be reminiscing about them. :Bob Dylan
Banned

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 07:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain516 View Post
You remember watching live action Spider man and Battlestar Galactica? You're pretty old......grandpa......... Just accept the fact there will always be new versions of older franchises.
I'm 26 years old. There are these things...they are called repeats. Hence why I also remember the 1960's Adam West Batman episodes. They reran all of the old stuff in the 90's.

And it's not really about them making a new version of it. It's the way they made the new version. Eitherway I got Dirk Benedict on my side so there....pssshhh
Is a RoboCop.

The Leader is probably a real personThe Leader is probably a real person
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 07:05 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain516 View Post
You remember watching live action Spider man and Battlestar Galactica? You're pretty old.
How old are you?
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 07:15 PM       
The new show was great. Fuck you.

That was very funny. Well done.
Banned

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 07:19 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zomboid View Post
The new show was great .
It did get very good reviews. Good enough to keep it going for numerous season, a made for TV movie, and a prologue series (AKA Caprica).

I guess its all about which ever one you find first. I found the old version first and others found the new one. The one that you start with is the one you like the best.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 08:13 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Leader View Post
How old are you?
17. That's not a problem, is it? I was kinda bitter when I wrote that, but my point is that there will always be remakes, and there's really no point in complaining about them being different, because if you want more of the same then you can always watch the original.
Is a RoboCop.

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 08:17 PM       
Yeah, I don't care about that. I was just wondering because you evidently think that there were cable channels like sci-fi in 1978 and I was confused by the notion.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Mar 15th, 2010, 09:17 PM       
Yeah dudes, this shit was top notch.

Banned

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 09:34 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
Yeah dudes, this shit was top notch.

lol, in the late 1970's this was probably the most technically advanced TV show ever created. Just imagine creating a Star Wars movie each week. That's pretty much what they accomplished for 1 whole year until the station pulled the plug because of the cost.
Is a RoboCop.

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 09:51 PM       
So many children died because of that show.
Banned

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 10:22 PM       
Quote:
So many children died because of that show.
Just one actually,

When it was canceled a kid was so distraught he offed himself. No BS.
Is a RoboCop.

Old Mar 15th, 2010, 10:39 PM       
That is one of the deaths I was referencing, the other being the child who fired a missile from a toy Viper down their throat and choked.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:20 AM       
Both shows suck. At least the original had camp value.
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:47 AM       
I stopped watching the show when they added the dog and kid. That was some seriously gay shit.
Banned

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:06 AM       
Quote:
That is one of the deaths I was referencing, the other being the child who fired a missile from a toy Viper down their throat and choked.
Are you serious? That's horrible....
Is a RoboCop.

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 11:37 AM       
Yeah, the little bastard ruined the fun for everyone. They recalled the toys and re-released them without the missile firing feature and toy safety has just gotten stricter and stricter since then.

But yeah, that really happened.