Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 11:43 PM        Scriptwriting...
So I was looking into film as one of those things that you take years off doing something you love. I borrowed a book on scriptwriting and it basically disheartened me to the entire concept of writing for TV. It turns out you have to jump through hoops and cut off your toe just to get a shot to be someones bitch. I have to admit alot of the book sounds like propoganda for the Writers guild, but alot of sounds like valid points that not so dedicated people overlook. Like not making more money than a school teacher. I haven't reached the part about film, but I'm pretty much giving up on writing scripts as a "hobby."

Does anyone have any other input on this?
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 12:01 AM       
Fartin Mowler has a script writing forum. His scripts are about bestiality, incest, & silly accents.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 10:34 AM       
I used to be a spec screenwriter, so you can imagine I've read several screeenwriting books over the years. With the possible exception of Robert McKee's Story, most of them are takeoffs on Aristotle's Poetics.

If you really want to write by your own rules, I'd suggest getting into directing. Start off with fooling around with a camera, then have your friends join in. This is what I ultimately did--I've just finished a documentary, and I hope to make some short films soon. For this, you want to check out the book From Reel to Deal.
Mocker
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 12:59 PM       
I was never really that interested in working for TV, so I'm just kinda reading this chapter on writing for TV because I think it's interesting. It gave me a slight respect for studios, and how hollywood is really a business.

I basically enjoy all aspects of film making, but learning about scriptwriting is easier to learn from a book than directing. I'm planning on making some more movies next year but I wantet get started on writing on something.

I feel whiny for saying that I wouldn't want to write because I wouldn't be able write what I want, because I feel like that asking for something without giving anything in return.
Little Monster
Miss Modular is probably a spambot
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 02:55 PM       
I would also suggest reading a bunch of screenplays (actually my advice if you want to get into writing). You can find them at http://www.script-o-rama.com/ or check out a few from your library (like I do!).

BTW, what book did you read?
Mocker
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 10:40 PM       
it's called The Complete Book of Scriptwriting by J. Micheal Straczynski.

The guy wrote for Babylon 5 and keeps on talking about different scripts of Murder she Wrote that he'd made. it floats my boat.
Rosenstern is probably a spambot
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 12:48 AM        Re: Scriptwriting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScruU2wice
I have to admit alot of the book sounds like propoganda for the Writers guild, but alot of sounds like valid points that not so dedicated people overlook. Like not making more money than a school teacher.
I think the real problem is that one of the most important jobs in the world has become a universal standard for low-paying professions. Not related to the topic; just throwing that out there.
wiener touches ceiling
Studio8 is probably a spambot
Old Sep 21st, 2005, 03:04 AM       
I've been working in film offices from time to time for about 2 years now and I know that if you get to know the right people, they will read your script. If they like it and like you, they will either tell you what to do to fix it up, or they will pass it on to someone else who will. Of course, there are 15 more stages of re-writes and whatnot, and who knows how many people will muscle you out of the creative process, but it's possible.

At one point I thought to myself, "I'm going to have to write something really shitty to make some asshole happy so I can make something I really like later." But I recently scratched that idea and I'm just going to keep working and networking and continue to talk myself up until someone wants to read something of mine. Then who knows.

You will also have to ask yourself the question of, "Would I rather have my name on this script as a writer and $20,000, or would I rather sell it to someone else, have my name removed from everything, and make $50,000."