Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 09:19 AM       
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 10:07 AM       
Add to what Kev just said the lie on top of it. If we have plenty of troops and national guard to have a war in Iraq and do what comes up at home, and the war in Iraq has no impact on responding to disaster at home why are we hiring private security?

I know, just politics, and I do get that, how do you know a politician is lieing? Their lips are moving. But see, even while I accept that, a line has to be drawn somewhere. Everything a politician does is just politics. At some point you have to say "Look, I know you think sodomizing corpses to summon demons is going to somehow help out your party down the road, but it's really wrong and you shouldn't be allowed to do it. " Actually, I'd kind of like to draw the line PRIOR to demon summoning. Politcians will often do whatever they can get away with, and we let them get away with a fuck of a lot.

And by the way, I would totally count on John Kerry to save my life over W. If I was Trent Lott's front porch, W might save me. Things being the way they are, I doubt he'd even see me.

And yeah. I think the elected leader of the richest nation on earth may have no speciffic obigation to ressucitate me personlly should I get a cramp and drown in the ol' watering hole, but when a whole city full of the nations poorest, weakest citizens are at risk of their lives, I'd like a president who lept into action and marshalled an effort to save as many people as possible. Not one who sorta slowly ramped up to it by way of taking a few last days of vaca, doin' a couplea fund raiser and diddlin on a bran' new gift gee-tar.

I guess it comes down to what you think the nature of leadership is and what you think government is for.
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 06:42 PM        Re: BUSH TOURS GULF STATES
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore

A problem comes up when you have private professionals, although owning the skill sets to do the job, are lacking the public code of conduct carried by a soldier, officer, or whatever.
Yea, the officers in NO really seem to have that whole public code of conduct thing down pat. Its well know by all that once you work for the government you become a righteous zealot of anti-corruption. ;p ;p
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Sep 15th, 2005, 09:07 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by mburbank
Did you see the tape of Chenney, where he's talking about how the response he's gotten from victimes has been %100 positive, and someone starts yelling at him "Hey, Dick Chenney! Go fuck yourself!". The reporter asks if he's been getting a lot of that, and Chenney says no, this is the first time.
http://www.comedycentral.com/shows/t...es/index.jhtml

Check out 'Hurricane Aftermath'. Jon Stewart pretty much echoes your second theory on that.
Mocker
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 08:46 AM        Re: BUSH TOURS GULF STATES
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainBubba
Yea, the officers in NO really seem to have that whole public code of conduct thing down pat. Its well know by all that once you work for the government you become a righteous zealot of anti-corruption. ;p ;p
80% of those cops have lost their homes. Many still don't know where children, spouses, or other loved ones are. Some have killed themselves over what they've seen. Many have simply quit.

I'm glad you have such a hard-on for a fluffy college text-book ideology, but I'd like to see you operate under such conditions.

It's not about government leading to purity, you awful jackass. It's about public policing being open to public scrutiny. How is it that you KNOW that NOPD have a history of being corrupt? What then do you know about these "retired officers and soldiers" with blackwater? Who are they accountable to? The profit margin?
xXxASPERGERSxXx
CaptainBubba is probably a spambot
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:19 PM       
What the fuck Kevin. I never said "Aw man look at those cops being shocked and hurt by this tradgedy shit wtf they arent doing their job." To any rational person it obvious I'm talking about the ones responsible for the actions ranging from looting to threatening innocent citizens with death. You're an asshole for acting like I said something Vince-esque.
Mocker
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 12:25 PM       
Right, and because there are a few cops who have shown poor conduct, well fuck, that seals the deal for me. Government sucks. We need to just contract the whole damn thing.

Seems to me spinning a situation to fit your ideological bent is a pretty "Vince-esque" thing to do, IMO.