Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

say what now?
Geggy is probably a spambot
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:08 PM        McCain suggests military-style invasion of US inner city to control crimes
This guy got my vote! Seriously, though, this smells like martial law to me.

A Surge on the Homefront?
August 01, 2008 12:48 PM

ABC News' David Wright reports: Answering a question at the Urban League about his approach to combating crime, John McCain suggested that military strategies currently employed by US troops in Iraq could be applied to high crime neighborhoods here in the US.*

McCain at first praised the crime-fighting efforts of Rudolph Giuliani when he was mayor of New York City.* Then he down-shifted into an approach that sounded considerably harsher.*

McCain called them tactics "somewhat like we use in the military."

"You go into neighborhoods, you clamp down, you provide a secure environment for the people that live there, and you make sure that the known criminals are kept under control," he said.* "And you provide them with a stable environment and then they cooperate with law enforcement."

The way he described it, his approach sounded an awful lot like the surge.

Urban League president Marc Morial countered that while New York did experience a drop in crime under Giuliani, there were several major instances of police misconduct.

In response, McCain promised aggressive prosecution of civil rights violations and a Justice Department free from political cronyism.

"U.S. attorneys will be appointed strictly on the basis of qualifications and not political connections," McCain said, a swipe at the Bush Administration Justice Department under Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

ABC News' Bret Hovell contributed to this report.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 06:56 PM       
I never bother reading 2 sentence quotes, it's equal to watching FOX news.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Aug 2nd, 2008, 07:14 PM       
I'm all for nuking our inner city, personally, so McCain is a little too soft for me.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Aug 3rd, 2008, 02:43 PM       
You know, it's been a long while since I last saw someone drinking Surge.

Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:30 AM       
Its not an invasion if you are a;ready there. He doesn't say send the military in. He says have civilian police forces use some of the same tactics and strategies.

Not only are you deaf, but you seem selectively blind as well.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 03:21 PM       
I dont think Geggy ever said it would be the military. Just that it would be a "military-style invasion". And if they are send cops IN with this "military-style" plan, you could lossely call it an invasion. But if you have a cop on every corner with automatic weapons, who is going to try anything really? If it can work in New York it can work anywhere.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 08:24 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Blanco View Post
Its not an invasion if you are a[l]ready there. He doesn't say send the military in. He says have civilian police forces use some of the same tactics and strategies.
Nothing new here - in the mid '70's, Phildelphia mayor Frank Rizzo went on record as stating that the way to win the "non-war" with the Sandanistas in Nicaragua was to send in the Philly Police Department - they'd straighten everything out.

I miss "Chairman Frank". He was always good for a malapropism or three. It's really too bad he's dead - he'd make a great Vice-Presidential choice for McCain.
You may already be there.
Mocker
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 11:06 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimnos View Post
I dont think Geggy ever said it would be the military. Just that it would be a "military-style invasion". And if they are send cops IN with this "military-style" plan, you could lossely call it an invasion. But if you have a cop on every corner with automatic weapons, who is going to try anything really? If it can work in New York it can work anywhere.
We don't have police officers on every street corner with automatic weapons. We never did. Kind of expensive. Also, it makes the tourists a little edgy (sissies)

Not that I agree with using MOUT tactics in American cities, but Douchey McNohear is trying to obfuscate things with some slight of hand.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 10:08 AM       
Ok mybe not on every corner, but when i was there back in '05 there were alot.
Mocker
Old Aug 5th, 2008, 11:39 AM       
If you were somewhere like Times Square on a holiday weekend when we expect a lot of tourists and there's an opportunity for someone with ill will to make a lot of trouble, ya the NYPD has the Emergency Services Unit guys in the heavy gear with MP5s.
Nexus 7 Prototype
VaporTrailx1 is probably a spambot
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 03:14 PM       
Maybe he'll form a US Police Force like in Escape from New York/LA
Mocker

Abcdxxxx is probably a spambot
Old Aug 13th, 2008, 12:04 AM       
We already dropped a bomb on a city block in Philly. NYPD utilized tanks to evict squators. OMG Geggy was right. McCain is a Jew!