Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:47 PM        laserdisc collection!
post your laserdisc collections here!

I just started mine ;_;

Heaveyweights (its not letterboxed on DVD ;_
Twin Peaks: The Pilot Episode (I wanted the home video version its not on DVD and the VHS is hard to find even!)

thats all!

I'd like to get Kingpin on laserdisc because i want the pg-13 version letterboxed because the r-rated version f*cking s*cks
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 07:58 PM       
I had Fire & Ice...

Laser disks are just too expensive to collect.
Captain Goodtimes is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 08:18 PM       
The Hunt For Red October
Ghostbusters II
New Order Story
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 08:28 PM        Re: laserdisc collection!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixby Phillips
Twin Peaks: The Pilot Episode (I wanted the home video version its not on DVD and the VHS is hard to find even!)
What's the difference between that and the pilot episode that I bought on DVD a while ago? o.o

Anyway, my laserdisc collection...

High Strung (It's my favorite movie ever and it has yet to be put on DVD, so I was shocked to actually find a laserdisc copy of it. And even though I don't own a laser disc player, I figured I should buy it in case my vhs copies ever screwed up.)
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 08:39 PM       
Jixby, you're in California right? You should go to Amoeba Records if you haven't, and check out the laserdiscs there. They have lots of cool shit, imo, for good prices. I'm currently in Los Angeles for another two months and have been there quite a bit. Easily the best record store ever.
Mocker
Old Oct 10th, 2004, 10:38 PM       
I went to Ameoba in SF yesterday thats where I got Twin Peaks

There was some other stuff I wanted but i didn't wanna go overboard!

Mock, the difference between the two pilot episodes of Twin Peaks is that the version I mentioned that I got on laserdisc is a version that David Lynch made so that he could sell it as a film to european markets. I THINK he did this because he needed money to complete the pilot, so he went to a European film distribution company and told them if they put money into the pilot, he would shoot an ending for it so that it could be shown in theaters as a stand-alone movie. I might be wrong or over-simplyfing it, but whatever.

He added about 20 minutes, and it includes stuff where Laura's parents describe bob to the police sketch artist (which is reshot or reused in one of the later episodes), and an ending that would wrap everything up. In this ending, the one armed man takes him to bob at the hospital (I think... It's been a while since I've seen it), and Bob is killed. Then it cuts to "25 years later," Agent Cooper is in the Black Lodge, with the backwards talking dwarf. Lynch liked this footage so much, that he used it in the actual series, in episode two, as the dream Agent Cooper has.

Warner Brothers released the European version of the pilot on home video, despite the fact that when you try to watch it with the rest of the series, you get way confused. When you watch episode one, you wonder why they're still looking for the killer, since they found him in the pilot, and when you watch episode 2, you wonder why we're seeing the ending from the pilot again, but as a dream sequence. I'm sure they did this because they could say "with 20 extra minutes!" on the cover.

When Republic went and released the rest of the series, they coulnd't get the rights to the pilot, and the Warner Brothers video of the European version was the only one that was around for years. Whoever had the rights to release it in america wasn't (and still isn't) interested in releasing it, I guess. But in England, the first season DVD set has the pilot with it. It's somewhat of a legal nightmare.
Mocker
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 05:13 AM       
speaking of Twin Peaks - Season 2 might be coming next year from paramount:

Quote:
It's almost the end of 2004 and the big question everyone is asking is, what's up with Season Two of Twin Peaks on dvd? Well, here's the latest. Our sources within Paramount say it's almost a sure thing that you'll see Season Two, as well as a re-release of Season One with the Pilot included, released by Paramount as soon as the rights revert back to them around September 2005. The current rights holder, Lion's Gate (formally Artisan) has no plans to further exploit Twin Peaks or any of it's Spelling Entertainment titles due to the short time frame they have before the rights are lost. So it's all up to Paramount now. Our sources also tell us that part of the reason for the delay of Season Two in other international regions is to have one big release worldwide around the same time in every country, US included. So for you folks overseas, you're also being affected by the rights issue here in the US. The other, though somewhat lesser reason for the delay is to allow more time to work on bonus features. But Paramount is committed to TV on dvd in a big way, and is eager to exploit all the Spelling holdings once they get the rights back, Twin Peaks and Beverly Hills 90210 being the first two they are planning on releasing. Keep in mind that none of this constitutes an official announcment, so these plans are always subject to change. But it looks like there's a good chance we'll finally get to see Season Two on dvd in 2005.
In 2005: THE HOME VIDEO RELEASE RIGHTS FOR THE PILOT, SEASON ONE, AND SEASON TWO OF TWIN PEAKS WILL FINALLY ALL BELONG TO ONE COMPANY. FOR THE FIRST TIME IN TWIN PEAK'S HOME VIDEO HISTORY. The show is what almost 15 years old and not one company has been able to release a COMPLETE set because of all the legal mess. I kinda wish I never got season one, I could have waited for the new improved set with pilot but oh man, this is still pretty great. I want that pilot, because the Korean DVD looks and sounds kinda shitty.
DON'T F WITH ME
HickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty okHickMan is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 03:09 PM       
I think I have Rocky on laserdisc. That's all I know of
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 04:01 PM       
Thanks for all the info Jixby... and I'm still glad I bought Season 1 on DVD. They did such an awesome job with that set. Beautiful layout 'n everything. I really hope season 2 comes out next year... having to drive a half hour to a video store that carries shitty copies of the vhs tapes just isn't the same as having it on DVD.
NEW FACE IN HELL
Rongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's armyRongi has joined BAPE's army
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 04:45 PM       
Rocky Horror Picture Show
Dr. No

that's it
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Oct 11th, 2004, 05:01 PM       
Akira and Die Hard in Chinese....with subtitles. I used to have a Laserdisk player/two amps and some kerioke thing from Hong Kong that was 220 volt, but I gave them away.