Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:01 PM        Wii Twilight Hack
i won't provide any links! so don't ban me

anyway, does anyone else on here use this for virtual console games + other emulation? i've used it for multiple VC games and some wiiware titles, all working flawlessly. someone even made a WAD of super smash bros 64 (not released on VC!). also, i've used scummvm with it and it's superb, with wiimote support!

anyone? anyone?
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old May 25th, 2008, 09:32 PM       
With the recent release of the hbc I just need to buy an sd card reader and I'll be set.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:16 PM       
i use it for gameboy color games and nes

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM       
bigtimecow, can you explain how it works exactly and how to get ScummVM on the Wii? I heard about Twilight Princess having an exploit, but never understood exactly how it worked...
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old May 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM       
you need a copy of zelda twilight princess but i think you may look in wikipedia it well explained and they offer the files you will need

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:13 PM       
It's a glitch that allows for the loading of arbitrary code. Which would be considered bad, unless you're the hacker yourself.
has a woody
Phoenix Gamma is probably a spambot
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:27 PM       
It's not necessarily bad persay; homebrew is all well and good until piracy gets involved later down the line. When the people who made the hack were working on the code, they just wanted to get homebrew software running.

Now that the Homebrew Channel is out and working, I'd like to see some more Wii apps. Forcast Channel and stuff like that is all well and good, but it'd be awesome if someone could get tunneling to work like they did back on the Gamecube. That, and people could theoretically develop their own games for the Wii. Maybe something that uses head tracking?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:32 PM       
I mean execution of arbitrary code, not the broader "Is hacking right?" topic. I loved my PSP. Best emulator machine, hands down, to include Playstation and N64 emulation.
has a woody
Old May 29th, 2008, 05:43 PM       
Ah, then yes, you're correct. And yea, the PSP is a bitchin' homebrew handheld.

Also, I'm not sure if the TP hack tramples on any warranties with either the game or the system. You need to be careful with that stuff, just incase something goes wrong. I'm not sure if Nintendo checks for tickets, either. When you download stuff from their store, you get a ticket, and if you have software without a ticket, then they'd be able to catch you. I have no clue if they actually perform checks during updates, so I'd be careful with that as well.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:06 PM       
It doesn't, unless it flashes the firmware. In which case, you're probably screwed out of a warranty. However, if TP is the only way to activate the exploit, I think you're golden. It shouldn't leave any residual data on the Wii.
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:51 PM       
Speaking of PSP, does anybody know if there is an emulator for it? I've always wanted to play Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins, but don't want to buy an entire system just to play that one game.
I hate this hacker crap!
Old May 29th, 2008, 06:53 PM       
TP is the only current way to access the exploit.

It works by invoking a glitch that has the horse's name containing too many letters. It essentially crashes, but then the code runs and apps ahoy. That's what the first google result says anyway.

All you need is a copy of Twilight Princess, SD card / reader, and a will to not care about TP save data.

EDIT @ Mock: A search turned up Potemkin, and PSPE, neither of which got really fantastic reviews.

has a woody
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:00 PM       
Actually, you can run Homebrew with the Homebrew Channel. It's designed so that you don't need to run it every time, though you still need the game to install the channel initially.
I hate this hacker crap!
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:01 PM       
That... makes a lot of sense. Now I'll only need to borrow an SD reader. Thanks :D

rockfuckcunt
bigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty okbigtimecow is probably pretty ok
Old May 29th, 2008, 07:24 PM       
the only reason why i'm opposed to the homebrew channel is i've read that it can very rarely brick your wii, but... restarting twilight princess everytime, with a new boot.elf file everytime, is annoying

i think i'm going to do it, i'll be back
frappez le cochon rouge
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:23 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockery View Post
Speaking of PSP, does anybody know if there is an emulator for it? I've always wanted to play Ultimate Ghosts 'N Goblins, but don't want to buy an entire system just to play that one game.
They're making progress on it, but in terribly small increments and I have great doubts that it'll ever go full speed.
rockfuckcunt
Old May 29th, 2008, 09:59 PM       
i chickened out on the homebrew channel; i'd have to delete it everytime i had to update or something blah blah blah

RoG, sorry, but alright: doing a quick search for twilight hack will give you enough info to get the hacked save file to upload onto your wii (AFTER copying over your save data, because otherwise you'll lose it!). you have to get a .elf (or .dol file; if it's .dol then just change it to .elf) file for scummvm (there's one with wiimote support and one without) and name it boot.elf and put it on the root of the sd card. then make a folder called "scummvm" on the root and put your games in there. i've run monkey island 1, 2, and curse but they crash at seemingly random points. that was with the wiimote edition, which i guess isn't really official yet, so i'm going to try the standard .elf file (gamecube controller support) and see how that goes
has a woody
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 11:48 AM       
Heads up. Nintendo just released the stupidest update ever.

To prevent us from potentially playing Frogger or some shit on our Wiis, Nintendo's newest update makes it so that the Wii checks your TP save data on startup. Every time. And if it's hacked, it's deleted. Dumb.

If you're looking to keep using homebrew, you need to install Homebrew Channel before installing the update (which will be required to play every new Nintendo game). After that, replace the Twilight Princess save data with your original one. You should be able to keep using homebrew.

Now the question is when we can expect to see an update that checks for download tickets. Then we're screwed.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:20 PM       
how dare Nintendo stop us from abusing our hardware and getting games for free

that is NAZI BULLSHIT
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 12:54 PM       
great now I have no reason to have a Wii anymore

even though I never had this

I wanted to, though
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 06:27 AM       
Yeah, seriously? I can see getting pissed at nintendo over stopping emulation if they weren't selling it as a god damn service. For example, the way the PSP continually rages against its community with firmware updates.
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 10:09 AM       
You don't have to update, but then you can't play newer games without upgrading!

Hmm, Kid Icarus or Mario Party 13?
has a woody
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 11:59 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman View Post
how dare Nintendo stop us from abusing our hardware and getting games for free

that is NAZI BULLSHIT
Psssst...there's Wii Homebrew that isn't illegal. This stops all homebrew, AND fucks with Freeloader, so now you can't play imports (read: people in Europe who imported Brawl instead of waiting god-knows-how-long).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EisigerBiskuit
You don't have to update, but then you can't play newer games without upgrading!

Hmm, Kid Icarus or Mario Party 13?
If you already have the Homebrew Channel installed, you're good. This just deletes your save file for Zelda if it's hacked.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 12:43 PM       
As with the PSP, people find ways around that. There will be a custom firmware. I know it.
has a woody
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 12:52 PM       
Well yea. I mean, all it takes for the Homebrew is for someone to make a new hacked save. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Importers, on the other hand, are pretty much boned unless they buy another version of Freeloader or something. I feel bad for them just because I don't think importing games and playing them on your system is necessarily "bad".