Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Comics 'n Books
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:32 PM        Le Morte Darthur
I'm not even sure if that was the proper French for what Mallory, a Welshman, was trying to express even back in the 15th Century.

Anyways, this was the first classic piece of literary canon I ever forced myself to read outside of class. Well, maybe Jules Verne counts, but my memory isn't that good.

I demanded an original text edition for my birthday list one year in my adolescence, and I got a really good edition even though the editor decided to modernize spelling for words that are still in use with their original meanings. However, he seems to have not really understood morphological development that well so I read weird preservations of old spellings, as when some of Arthur's knights had to "pight a tent".

Lately it's been one of a handful of such books I'll open and read for a few minutes for nostalgia. Comparing him to earlier works and later works I'd been exposed to in later years, Mallory was a pretty bad author, but I love it anyways.

Just now I picked up and read a section that was captioned with a description of Tristram being found naked in the woods, and I wondered if they really meant it in the common sense of the word or the generally archaic sense of being unarmed. Then, a few sentences later it mentions that he cut off someone's head.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:21 AM       
Oh and I know you guys want to bring up The Once and Future King because Magneto was reading it in one of the X-Men movies, but don't because that book is SHIT.

Also, the Romatic-era editor noted that Mallory's text was the most "accurate" depiction of the Arthur cycle. I'm sure the archaeological methods they had at hand highly favored Mallory's account of Avalon over that of Chrétiens de Troyes.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 02:07 AM       
So, I've been to most of the places that were supposed to be the settings for this stuff, but I really doubt I could've appreciated it on as many levels as you would've.
The Slippery Skipper
StalfrosGR is probably a spambot
Old Apr 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM       
Thomas Malory is one of my literary heroes. One time he was put in prison and he fought his way out using the guards weapons then swam a mote. Another time he stole some sheep, I'm pretty sure for some shits and giggles. Then he has the audacity to stick a paragraph in Le Morte d'Arthur asking the readers who love the book to pray for him as he "is the servant of Jesu both day and night." Just like good old Arthur.

He was a slick old man.