Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Sports & Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Big Red Cat
Roggs is probably a spambot
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 10:53 AM        2008 NFL Draft
Thought I'd get this thread opened up.

So who do you guys think is going to go first? Sounds like Chris Long is the favorite right now, as long as Miami keeps the first-overall pick.
Banned
layla17 is probably a spambot
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 02:44 PM       
Chris Long is pretty much the favorite, but Miami might decide to trade down and get a two picks for one. I think McFadden will end up with the Raiders, Chiefs, or anyone else for that matter.
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 2nd, 2008, 11:36 PM       
There is not doubt in my mind that Chris Long is a beast, but the Dolphins need to take LT Jake Long with the first pick. They already invested a 2nd round pick in former BYU QB John Beck last year and they shouldn't grade him based on 4 or 5 games last year. After all, the Dolphins were horrible from top to bottom.

By taking Long, they have the Tackle of the future when added with a solid RB like Ronnie Brown, can give Beck the help he needs to develop. I just don't see the point of drafting a QB high this year (which many have said they should) when you have a young guy like Beck ready to go. They need to take Jake Long and then focus on taking a WR in the second round. Trading Chambers left the receiving corps lacking a real play maker.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 3rd, 2008, 05:37 AM       
It is always better in my opinion to take the top prospect lineman that you can get. All the best teams have a solid offensive line. Doesn't matter how good a QB or RB are, if they have crappy protection they will simply not preform.
Big Red Cat
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 12:23 PM       
I think Miami should be pushing much harder to move down a few spots. Surely there is someone in the mid-10 coveting one of the Longs.

Yeah, they could use a new o-tackle or defensive end. But what I think Miami needs most right now is a QB to groom for the future. If they could slide down a ways, they could probably still grab Ryan and go from there. That is, unless they really think Beck is the guy.

Of course, Miami is such a mess right now they can't really make a WRONG choice.
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 04:40 PM       
I still feel that Beck is worth a shot. The last staff thought highly enough of him to take him in the 2nd round and last year's team was complete dog shit. Taking Jake Long is a solid start to rebuilding a horrendous o-line. And if they aren't sold on Beck, they still have the first pick in the 2nd which would let them take someone like Joe Flacco, Chad Henne, or Brian Brohm.
Beloved Cunt
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:51 PM       
Jake Long it is.
Beloved Cunt
Old Apr 23rd, 2008, 06:23 PM       
I'm not sure on that, but Mel Kiper is so sure that Matt Ryan won't drop past the Ravens at #8, he said he'd RETIRE if he does indeed fall past that spot.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 05:02 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggs View Post
I think Miami should be pushing much harder to move down a few spots. Surely there is someone in the mid-10 coveting one of the Longs.
Apparently they've already come to terms with Chris Long, and now the Rams are asking the NFL for permission to negotiate with their selection (Jake Long?). If it keeps going like this, draft day might move faster than molasses in January.

But with the top picks gone, where will the DRAMA be?

I hope the Birds can do some draft day finagling, perhaps to acquire a quality WR. Especially since the 'boys just finalized their deal for Pacman.
You may already be there.

Last edited by Colonel Flagg : Apr 24th, 2008 at 05:25 AM. Reason: Didn't want to double-post
Big Red Cat
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:33 AM       
Actually, they agreed to terms with Jake, not Chris.

I do think it's messed up that the 1st overall term can negotiate with players but no one else can. It should be either everyone or no one (and almost certainly just no one).

But damn, you'd think the Dolphins could have done better than giving Jake Long over $11 fucking million dollars a year, $30 million of which is guaranteed. If that doesn't make him higher paid than Walter Jones, Steve Hutchison, Olin Kreutz, and so on, I'll be amazed. What a ridiculous payday. If Long so much as allows a sack he won't be worth what they're paying him. He'd better pan out or the Dolphins will be eating this for years.
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:39 AM       
Jake Long, Chris Long, I can't keep track of all these "Long" boys! Thanks for setting me straight.
Big Red Cat
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM       
Anyway, Long #2 looks to be off the board now, too. Apparently the Rams have already announced that they're going to take him.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 08:15 PM       
The draft seems to be moving on quite nicely, thanks to the time-saving measures imposed by the commish. I was wondering if the birds were going to trade away ALL their picks for a while, before they went sane all of a sudden, drafting a DT and a WR with their two 2nd rounders. The wideout projects as more of a return guy, at least for the first few years, but this was a GLARING weakness for them last season. That and the pass rush.
Beloved Cunt
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 01:58 PM       
The Vikings selected John David Booty in the 5th round. I think it's a great pick, especially in the 5th round. Booty will come in and push Tarvaris Jackson to solidify his starting spot. If Jackson falters this year, I expect Booty to get serious consideration for the starting job in 09.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 05:58 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat View Post
The Vikings selected John David Booty in the 5th round. I think it's a great pick, especially in the 5th round. Booty will come in and push Tarvaris Jackson to solidify his starting spot. If Jackson falters this year, I expect Booty to get serious consideration for the starting job in 09.
Wow, I expected him to go much sooner than that honestly.
Beloved Cunt
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 06:07 PM       
Yeah, I expected him to go in the 2nd-3rd round. I had him lumped in with similiar qbs in Brohm and Henne. I would've been satisfied if the Vikings had taken any of those three.
Beloved Cunt
Old Apr 28th, 2008, 06:26 PM       
You read it here first, folks. Ole Miss LT Michael Oher will be the number 1 pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

Ohio State RB Beanie Wells will be drafted 2nd or 3rd.

Last edited by WhiteRat : Apr 29th, 2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: replaced James Lauranitis with Wells