Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GlueFinger is probably a spambot
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:51 PM        2-year-old shot by brother remains critical
2-year-old shot by brother remains critical
Officer says 4-year-old was angry after an argument and got a gun from his mother's purse
By ROBERT CROWE
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

A 2-year-old remained in critical condition today, a day after his 4-year-old brother shot him in the head in their southwest Houston home.
ADVERTISEMENT

The older boy shot his brother Saturday afternoon after an argument, but didn't seem to understand what he had done, police said Saturday.

"He's wondering where his brother is, and when his brother's coming back," said Sgt. Cameron Grysen of the Houston Police Department Homicide Division.

The 2-year-old was in critical condition at Ben Taub Hospital with a single gunshot wound to his temple.

"He's very critical," Grysen said late Saturday. "The next 72 hours are very vital because he's in a drug-induced coma right now."

The incident happened about 4:20 p.m. at a home in the 5500 block of Gatewood near South Post Oak Boulevard.

Grysen said the boys had been arguing when the 2-year-old threw a toy at his brother. While the mother thought the boys had returned to their room, they walked back to her room, where the older boy grabbed a loaded gun from his mother's purse.

"The 4-year-old was angry ... he went and got the gun, put it to his brother's head and shot the gun," Grysen said.

The bullet entered one of his temples before exiting the other side of his head. The sound of the gunshot alerted the mother to the incident. The woman had told police that she had the gun � a .32-caliber semiautomatic � in her possession to protect her family because of recently reported burglaries in the neighborhood.

It is not clear if the boys' father was home at the time, but police said he did go to the hospital.

The mother could face criminal charges of making a weapon available to a child, Grysen said, adding that Child Protective Services would also investigate the family.

CPS spokeswoman Estella Olguin said her agency had never been called to the home prior to Saturday. CPS case workers placed the 4-year-old with his grandmother pending the outcome of an investigation.

A CPS caseworker was expected to decide whether to allow the older brother to stay with his parents or place him in custody of family or CPS.

Grysen said the 4-year-old would not be charged with a crime. Under Texas law, children younger than 10 years old cannot be charged with a crime.

The mother told police that Saturday was the one day that she did not keep her gun secure.

"You got to be real careful with guns around children, and you can't be too careful keeping them secured," Grysen said.

Police are not sure whether the older boy understands the difference between real and toy guns.

"We really can't say with a 4-year-old," Grysen said. "It's very mind-boggling that this happened."

Residents of the modest neighborhood described the children and their parents as a happy family who often take walks with neighbors.

"All parents should be concerned about weapons laying in the home," said Yulanda Jordan, a neighbor.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3082432

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 09:38 PM       
four more years!
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 12:42 AM       
I find this story hilarious, because I'm a bastard like that.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 05:50 AM       
Clearly, this is the fault of video games.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 12:11 PM       
somebody press start, go to 'cure', knife out the bullet, disinfect the wound and sew it. Then save, close the ps2 and go have a beer.
Stone Pants Rabbit
Cosmo Electrolux is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 12:17 PM       
I'll skip straight to the "go have a beer part".....
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM       
This is Resident Evil 4's fault.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 09:53 PM       
a 2 year old gets a gunshot wound from point-blank range to the head and he lives?

if the kid pulls through, he is to be feared...

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 09:55 PM       
MABYE IT'S THE ANTICHRIST
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 03:28 PM        Re: 2-year-old shot by brother remains critical
Quote:
Grysen said the 4-year-old would not be charged with a crime. Under Texas law, children younger than 10 years old cannot be charged with a crime.
but you can rest assured that 10 years olds can get the death penalty with an 8 year stay of execution...
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 04:58 PM        Re: 2-year-old shot by brother remains critical
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueFinger
The older boy shot his brother Saturday afternoon after an argument, but didn't seem to understand what he had done, police said Saturday.

"He's wondering where his brother is, and when his brother's coming back," said Sgt. Cameron Grysen of the Houston Police Department Homicide Division.

Police are not sure whether the older boy understands the difference between real and toy guns.
I find this very sad and true.

At the same time time, the kid did get the gun and shoot.

Original motivation? Knowledge of where the gun was? Knowledge of how to shoot? Hell, how did the whole concept of shooting enter the brain of a 4-year-old, much less how to perform the action?

Wherever you go, there you are.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 07:44 PM       
Uh. Hi.
Loaded gun?
No safety?
I think these might fall under kelly's "Knowledge of how to shoot?" clause, but seriously, wtf? Don't you at least put a lock on your gun?

Not to get cliche or anything, but
"It's easier to child-proof your gun than bullet-proof your child."

Edit: actually, if the shooter was old enough to take the axe, this would probably be Darwinism at its best.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 09:30 PM       
CRIME doesn't wait for you to take the safety off your gun!
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 09:39 PM       
Quote:
The incident happened about 4:20 p.m.
oh no guys! he was high!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
The same reason I don't hit kids, i'm not 100% sure thier mine.
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 10:13 PM       
no man everyone knows that if you're high it takes at least 3 minutes to aim a pistol
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 10:24 PM       
The mother was high thats why she didn't secure the weapon she claims she normally does.
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 05:08 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by davinxtk
Uh. Hi.
Loaded gun?
No safety?
I think these might fall under kelly's "Knowledge of how to shoot?" clause, but seriously, wtf? Don't you at least put a lock on your gun?

Edit: actually, if the shooter was old enough to take the axe, this would probably be Darwinism at its best.
I'm not talking about availability/opportunity the blame of which undoubtedly falls on the mother. I'm talking about what leads a four-year-old ... A FOUR-YEAR-OLD ... from the thought "I'm angry, I know where mommy's gun is, I know the object of my anger and I will shoot 'it' in the head because that is an excellent kill zone." That's a lot for a four-year-old. Just sayin'

P.S. The inferred question being, "Waht the hell ELSE is going on in that home?!"

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 07:46 PM       
Quote:
a .32-caliber semiautomatic
This is why I've always prefered .45s and up.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 10:17 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
P.S. The inferred question being, "Waht the hell ELSE is going on in that home?!"
Maybe they let the kids watch GI Joe? They always shot at each other in GI Joe but no one ever DIED. Kid wouldn't HAVE to be thinking about KILLING anyone.
The Wrong Melon Farmer

Sacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty okSacks is probably pretty ok
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 02:06 AM       
While everyone argues about how odd it is that a child would know how to fire a gun, I'm sitting back wondering how a 2 year old survived a shot through the head. What a little badass.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 04:49 AM       
I figure even at 4, a TV can teach a kid how a gun works. Which doesn't mean I blame TV, which I don't.
Whiter than Alabaster
the_dudefather is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 05:22 AM       
remember that kid from falling down who knew how to work a rocket launcher? thats were this kid is heading

Mocker
Big Papa Goat is probably a spambot
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 09:04 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellychaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davinxtk
Uh. Hi.
Loaded gun?
No safety?

I'm not talking about availability/opportunity the blame of which undoubtedly falls on the mother. I'm talking about what leads a four-year-old ... A FOUR-YEAR-OLD ... from the thought "I'm angry, I know where mommy's gun is, I know the object of my anger and I will shoot 'it' in the head because that is an excellent kill zone." That's a lot for a four-year-old. Just sayin'

Since when were small children peaceful or inherently good? Think about how poorly a 4 year old can control his emotions, and how excesively angry they get when they don't get what they want. I guess what I'm really getting at is that people (especially males) are born with more natural tendencies towards violence and generally anti-social behaviors than they are with morality or any kind of peacefulness.
GO AWAY DONT POST HERE

davinxtk is probably a spambot
Old Mar 18th, 2005, 12:35 PM       
So you bash your brother in the head with a rock or a tonka truck. At that age you definitely shouldn't know where to find a firearm.
(1:02:34 AM): and i think i may have gone a little too far and let her know that i actually do hate her, on some level, just because she's female
(1:03:33 AM): and now she's being all kinds of sensitive about it
(1:03:53 AM): i hate women

Mr. Oysterhead is probably a spambot
Old Mar 20th, 2005, 01:16 AM       
I once heard of a six-year-old who tried repeatedly to get himself charged as an adult for pre-meditated murder.