Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 02:02 PM       
Quote:
Yes, this was the Huygens probe I referred to briefly above that "crash" landed on Titan.
no i mean the Galileo spacecraft probe they sent into Jupiter's atmosphere.

Quote:
The problem with landing a probe on Europa is contamination of the local environment (ocean under the ice) with earthly bacteria.
lol didn't know we had a prime directive. I guess it's more from the scientific angle of wanting a controlled environment though.
So they couldn't kill the bacteria by sending it through the Jupiter radiation belt or w/e? like sending it in between io and jupiter should make it super hot if im thinking right but i dont really know a lot about this so w/e
i know theres some bacterias that can survive high temperatures and shit but what are the chances of it ending up on a probe, when most of those bacterias are in extremely hard to reach places and probably couldn't even survive outside of their natural habitat. well w/e i know they also speculate that life on earth could've been caused by bacteria/organic someshit found in meteors so i guess i can understand this ;/
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 02:33 PM       
I think if it was close enough to either of those things to be sanitized, then it'd probably end up getting pulled towards them, anyway.

Not that I'm against crashing billions of dollars into space rocks.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 02:35 PM       
Depends on how fast its going I would imagine. and probably its trajectory and various other things that scientists would consider
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news.../ast16sep99_1/
flyby of io where it didnt crash and encountered extreme heat/etc.

anyway i think ill choose to not trust your opinion in any scientific matter since you didn't know that jupiter was solid on the inside

Quote:
As Io moves around Jupiter and through this magnetized plasma torus, a huge electrical current flows between Io and Jupiter. Carrying about 2 trillion watts of power, it's the biggest DC electrical circuit in the solar system.
does electricity kill bacteria?
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 04:14 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
no i mean the Galileo spacecraft probe they sent into Jupiter's atmosphere.
I don't know if you can truly say it crashed - it was most likely crushed by the intense atmospheric pressure long before it hit the surface. It also got mighty hot just before it "signed off" - about 150°C (if memory serves).

Doesn't really matter, though, it stopped working anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
lol didn't know we had a prime directive. I guess it's more from the scientific angle of wanting a controlled environment though.
Yeah, there's more than a little hypocrisy at work here too. Why not have the smae rules for Mars? How about Titan? What's so special about a moon with an ocean? Where's our "manifest desinty"?

KILL THEM! KILL THEM ALL! USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!USA!
You may already be there.
BANNED

Old Aug 1st, 2012, 05:10 PM       
i say they "crashed" it there because they sent it in knowing that it was going to be destroyed.
BANNED

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 12:06 PM       
Fathom why would you say that the Jovian planets aren't solid on the inside. You know neptune and uranus are jovian planets, right?

do you know anything about the solar system?
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 01:41 PM       
yes
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 01:49 PM       
I was only suggesting that it would be folly to land a fucking rover on Saturn or Neptune or Uranus or Jupiter. You know. The Jovian planets. The one with the large atmospheres. The atmospheres that provide a significant amount of interference. Which would make it difficult (if not impossible) to issue it commands, let alone receive any information back.
BANNED

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 02:35 PM       
but he never said a rover he said a probe

also those planets are all different and I don't know that they would have the same interference problems. I thought the interference was caused by all that electrical crap i posted about earlier not from the atmospheres but I don't really know. You're clearly the expert.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 03:24 PM       
I was about to ask whether you worked for NASA or the private sector.

Stop, please.
BANNED

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 03:54 PM       
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM       
Did I mention that Possums can cure us of all poisons?
BANNED

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:27 PM       
Dearest Fathom Zero,
I wish it were worth insulting you and pointing out what an idiot you are, but I know you'll just somehow absorb that into your passive-aggressive cunt and it'll just come out to disgust me later.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:28 PM       
You can take that fact and probe Uranus with it.
BANNED

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:29 PM       
god damnit tadao
BANNED

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:31 PM       
did i mention that about a month ago my sister had her ex-boyfriend over and he callously murdered a baby opossum?

ill never forgive him
☆☆☆☆☆
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM       
Spoilers!
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:57 PM       
T minus 3 days until Curiosity touches down on Mars. One way or another.

They're planning on broadcasting a live JPL feed in Times Square starting at 11:30 PM on the 5th. I sure hope it doesn't crash, and disappoint all the drunks, gangbangers and homeless.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 04:58 PM       
@ Tadao
BANNED

Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadao View Post
Spoilers!
thats exactly what it looked like
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 2nd, 2012, 05:37 PM       
<3 possies
BANNED

Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 12:58 PM       
Poor fathomzero. He's stupid and wrong in everything he says so he has to change the subject.

It's ok fathomzero I will forgive you and drop the subject.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 05:20 PM       
Here is the Curiosity timeline - Good luck to the intrepid mini-Cooper-sized rover.

Starting time is approximately 1:24 AM EDT on August 6th.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 06:27 PM       
I'm really gonna be excited when we have the capability to dig deep on other planets. Though, I suppose at that time, we would already be able to tell what it's composed of without actually needing to dig - something like radar or active sonar, though not necessarily so. Like at the beginning of Jurassic Park. Getting information about the material, though, I wouldn't know. Waves bouncing against something are affected widely by what something is made out of, so I'm sure that people are working on doing stuff like it, if not have it already.
BANNED

Old Aug 3rd, 2012, 07:17 PM       
the light bouncing off of things can tell you what stuff is composed of.

i think its called spectrumography

also they pretty much assume the compostion of the planet because it is similar to earth except it has no volcanic activity. that and using its orbit/stuff to figure out its density allows them logic it out