Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Sports & Health
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 03:21 PM       
I agree with Pentegarn, in principle. Boise State beat TCU, but we don't really know how good TCU was, do we? WhiteRat has a point (strength of schedule) but how will we ever find out if they don't allow these teams to play an "acknowledged" power?

Personally, I would have liked to see Texas/TCU in a "Battle of Texas" bowl. Imagine the interest (including TV ratings) that would have garnered. Unfortunately, Texas beat Nebraska, and this became a moot point.
You may already be there.
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 04:18 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pentegarn View Post
Thing is, how can we ever know that they couldn't beat either Bama of Texas? The BCS keeps them out and never gives them a shot. So I say they are the champs because that isn't any less ridiculous than the way college football determines its champion. Heck, I think it was rather transparent of the BCS to pit them against TCU because of exactly what you just said. Now everyone will say, 'look at their schedule' or 'look who they played in their bowl', and then the BCS fraud stays protected (because the last thing they want is another Boise State beats Oklahoma or Utah beats Alabama). Well I say look at the SEC's schedule. Who do they play outside the SEC? How then do we know the SEC is as great as ESPN claims? Seems to me if they were the best conference top to bottom they would have won every bowl game with no trouble. LSU would have beaten Penn State, Auburn wouldn't have had to take Northwestern to OT to get that win, Arkansas would have blown out East Carolina instead of squeaking by like they did, UConn wouldn't have destroyed South Carolina, Va Tech wouldn't have destroyed Tennessee, and Clemson wouldn't have beaten Kentucky. Considering this conference gets an automatic BCS bid every year despite the fact that this happens every year at bowl time tells me that saying Boise State deserves a share of the championship isn't any less ridiculous than the BCS championship itself is.
Let's look at BSU's schedule. Who did they play in the WAC? The WAC!

If you are just going to assume that Boise deserves a national title because "we just don't know" then i'm going to assume that if they played in the Pac-10 they'd have at least 2 losses. Using my logic they aren't even in a BCS bowl.

There isn't a single team in the WAC outside of BSU that is nationally relevant. You might be able to make a tiny case for Nevada and their insane offense but even they got smoked by a mediocre Notre Dame team this season. They need to change conferences very soon or go out of their way to schedule more BCS teams. Sure they beat Oklahoma few years ago but then the media will counter with an undefeated WAC team in Hawaii getting shit stomped by Georgia.

No matter how upset you are at the BCS you cannot ignore BSU's conference schedule. The Oregon win was nice but really, what else do they have?
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 04:19 PM       
About as much as any SEC team

And by the way, you can't put this on Boise State, they can't even get a single BCS team to accept their challenge, this article will reveal further:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...will-play-them

Boise State has gone out of their way to get some strength of schedule, even going as far as to say they will play anyone on the road if they have to. So now Boise State deserves punishment because every BCS team is scared to schedule them for a game where Boise State would have to travel?

This is why the BCS is a fraud. Make a freaking tournament and let it get decided on the field rather than making the championship a goddamned popularity contest where only the big money universities get invited and I will never again say some other game is deciding the real national champion.

We as fans deserve better than what the BCS gives us.
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 04:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Flagg View Post
I agree with Pentegarn, in principle. Boise State beat TCU, but we don't really know how good TCU was, do we? WhiteRat has a point (strength of schedule) but how will we ever find out if they don't allow these teams to play an "acknowledged" power?
Yes, we need a playoff, the fans want it and the media wants it and the BCS money grubbers know this but won't give in. But the fact is in the system we do have now the winner of the national championship game is the National Champion. Key phrase here is "in the system we have NOW."

Saying that X team is the rightful champion because you don't agree with the way it's set up is ridiculous and reeks of sour grapes.

Again, I would LOVE a playoff but to me there are certain factors that you absolutely can't ignore ie the WAC blows big weiners.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 04:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRat View Post
Saying that X team is the rightful champion because you don't agree with the way it's set up is ridiculous and reeks of sour grapes.
That may be but sour grapes is what I feel as a fan, and thus I refuse to give credence to this fraud of a system. Had we had a tournament before, OSU would likely never have made it to the championship against Florida for example. As a result we got a severe mismatch and nobody enjoys that.
Beloved Cunt
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 05:00 PM       
Quote:
That may be but sour grapes is what I feel as a fan, and thus I refuse to give credence to this fraud of a system. Had we had a tournament before, OSU would likely never have made it to the championship against Florida for example. As a result we got a severe mismatch and nobody enjoys that.
Do you think that 55 days off for OSU might have had anything to do with it?
Beloved Cunt
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 05:02 PM       
Quote:
About as much as any SEC team

And by the way, you can't put this on Boise State, they can't even get a single BCS team to accept their challenge, this article will reveal further:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...will-play-them

Boise State has gone out of their way to get some strength of schedule, even going as far as to say they will play anyone on the road if they have to. So now Boise State deserves punishment because every BCS team is scared to schedule them for a game where Boise State would have to travel?

This is why the BCS is a fraud. Make a freaking tournament and let it get decided on the field rather than making the championship a goddamned popularity contest where only the big money universities get invited and I will never again say some other game is deciding the real national champion.

We as fans deserve better than what the BCS gives us.
I don't buy that no one will play them even if they travel. Back in 05 Boise was ranked and played Georgia on the road and got stomped something 38-19 so it's not like USC is losing to them at home and now everyone is suddenly afraid to play them. Also, it's not like they blew OK out of the water, they had to use two trick plays to beat them.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 07:22 PM       
Quote:
Do you think that 55 days off for OSU might have had anything to do with it?
That can account for some of it, but not 30+ points worth, plus that argues for a +2 format because it would force the post season to start 1-2 weeks earlier

Quote:
I don't buy that no one will play them even if they travel. Back in 05 Boise was ranked and played Georgia on the road and got stomped something 38-19 so it's not like USC is losing to them at home and now everyone is suddenly afraid to play them. Also, it's not like they blew OK out of the water, they had to use two trick plays to beat them.
Which is evidence that the BCS and media are inconsistent. If it is OK for the SEC to barely stumble by against the likes of Northwestern and East Carolina and it not mean a thing to their reputation, then Boise State's win against (what should have been) a superior Sooners team should be weighed just as heavily. But it is not, because the SEC is the glamor league in ESPN's eyes, while Boise State is merely an interesting side show, even though they do pretty much everything they are supposed to.

These sorts of inconsistencies almost never happen in college basketball
after enough bourbon ...
Colonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's armyColonel Flagg has joined BAPE's army
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 09:11 PM       
Gentlemen!

The simple fact is this arguing is pointless without A PLAYOFF SYSTEM. It would fit within the current bowl system, and would not extend the collegiate season by more than a week or two. This will take an act of Congress. Literally.

Just so that we're all on the same page here.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 09:16 PM       
Who's arguing. I thought this was 'exuberant debating' :P

Besides all my fancy posturing and arguing can be summarized with this statement:

"The BCS is so ridiculous that I am now making up my own equally ridiculous and arbitrary system of naming a collegiate football champ because they are both equally pointless"
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Jan 5th, 2010, 11:45 PM       
With Iowa's win, the big 10 is 4-3 with 2 BCS wins!

Yet the media will still say the Big 10 can't keep up with the Pac 10 and SEC.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 12:47 PM       
I missed this, I must have been typing during Kirk Ferentz's post game thank yous. In the traditional post game praise the opponent part of his speech, Kirk Ferentz praised Wake Forest for being such a quality opponent
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 08:54 AM       
I'm still trying to figure out the Flea-Josh Groban-Mariachi thing.

Last edited by Kitsa : Jan 8th, 2010 at 08:55 AM. Reason: spelling error
WHAT'S THIS?!
Old Jan 8th, 2010, 10:39 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsa View Post
I'm still trying to figure out the Flea-Josh Groban-Mariachi thing.
Lena was sitting next to me and said, "Josh Groban and Flea?!"

I said, "just be glad he has clothes on while preforming America the Beautiful."

On to my thoughts about this game.

Once again, the overrated SEC gets a gift. This time in the form of a disastrous McCoy injury and no less than 3 botched pass interference calls (2 no calls that were clearly Bama defensive PI and one PI on Texas that wasn't PI at all) After that third botch, I got fed up and watched Planet Earth's Caves episode on Blue Ray instead.

Fuck the BCS and everyone involved in it.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 11:46 AM       
Now that he's older...if you squint, Flea sort of looks like Sting.
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 01:25 PM       
Quote:
Let's look at BSU's schedule. Who did they play in the WAC? The WAC!

If you are just going to assume that Boise deserves a national title because "we just don't know" then i'm going to assume that if they played in the Pac-10 they'd have at least 2 losses. Using my logic they aren't even in a BCS bowl.

There isn't a single team in the WAC outside of BSU that is nationally relevant. You might be able to make a tiny case for Nevada and their insane offense but even they got smoked by a mediocre Notre Dame team this season. They need to change conferences very soon or go out of their way to schedule more BCS teams. Sure they beat Oklahoma few years ago but then the media will counter with an undefeated WAC team in Hawaii getting shit stomped by Georgia.

No matter how upset you are at the BCS you cannot ignore BSU's conference schedule. The Oregon win was nice but really, what else do they have?
What about the Utah Utes who went undefeated in the 2008 season and BEAT Alabama to top of their perfect season. TCU demolished Utah this year and lost to Boise (also note that Utah won their bowl game this year as well). Boise is one hell of a fucking team, only losing 4 games with Chris Peterson as their head coach.
after enough bourbon ...
Old Jan 9th, 2010, 01:39 PM       
I can sum up my opinion in three words:

SCREW THE BCS!