Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

GAsux is probably a spambot
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 06:40 PM        Two Evils...
I admit that I find the ongoing debate about tortured prisoners to be disturbing. I am confident that such accussations are valid. However I confess that I'm not completely in disagreement with such things. It's unfortunate that in situations things like this happen. But I also understand that we aren't dealing with the kind of people who respond to the "please please please tell us, we'll be your best friend" tactic.

What I find most disturbing is the method in which such interrogations and imprisonments are being carried out. In a recent "round-up" following violence, it was reported that Iraqi police arressted 900 "suspected insurgents". I can't help but wonder what criteria determines who is and isn't an insurgent.

Of those 900, how many are "wrong place at the wrong time" people. How difficult is it for a neighbor to point the finger and say I think he knows something in order to get that person arrested as an insurgent.

On top of that, there are also widespread allegations of a prisoner trade. That is, groups and governments rounding up people and labeling them insurgents in order to collect reward money.

Im not as offended by legitimate bad people being sleep deprived and uncomfortable in order to give up info as I am the lack of credibility in determining who is and isn't being interrogated. But thats just me.
ranxer is probably a spambot
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 07:24 PM       
it's really messed up. Last i heard, some 80% of the abu griab prisoners were innocent.. only being guilty of being Iraqi.

how about the 5000 some odd in guantanimo.. with No convictions!?
or maybe we have one now, i'm not sure.

hearts and minds people.. we're winning their hearts and minds!

it's more like we're doing the recruiting for insurgents.

i read recently that many iraqi women have been so badly abused that they are getting messages sent home to just kill them because they have been so shamed. just like palestinians the iraqis with lost loved ones and torture experiences have nothing left to live for but revenge. we are the terrorists way too often, so much so that I'm ashamed to be american right now.