Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:39 AM        WWE Raw
Anyone else watch this last night? The good guy Scott Steiner goes to the ring, then the bad guy Christopher Nowinski comes out. Chris starts on a big anti-war speech while the crowd boos him. At one point he says something like "Do we actually think for a second that bombing the crap out of a soverign nation is going to stop terrorism in our country?" and J.R. (one of the announcers) says "YER DAMN RIGHT (IT WILL)!" Then, as Chris nears the ring, continuing in his speech, Steiner swoops down on him, beats the crap out of him, then throws him down on the metal ramp and walks out to a chorus of cheers.

Made me sick.

*Oh, and they have a new bad guy tag team coming in that's French. And that's pretty much the only reason they're bad guys.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 09:45 AM       
*sniff*

It is about time that Roid monkey did something good for a chance!
Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 10:09 AM       
The funny thing is, Steiner was so winded after that 10 seconds of fighing, he had to take a nap. (Not really, just an inside joke, because Steiner is so out of shape).

Anyway, yeah, I saw that. Frankly, I watch wrestling, but am not very fond of it. I watch it because it's a soap opera, and I wanna see what will happen next. And I really don't think it makes a lot of sense to include some angles and storylines dealing with such matters. The WWE is about suspending belief, and being entertained. Not to have some wrestler catch heat for some views on war, or some French guys (though those two are going to be a GREAT addition) being bad because they are French.
TERRIBLE BEAT
soundtest is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 11:37 AM        Re: WWE Raw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
Anyone else watch this last night? The good guy Scott Steiner goes to the ring, then the bad guy Christopher Nowinski comes out. Chris starts on a big anti-war speech while the crowd boos him. At one point he says something like "Do we actually think for a second that bombing the crap out of a soverign nation is going to stop terrorism in our country?" and J.R. (one of the announcers) says "YER DAMN RIGHT (IT WILL)!" Then, as Chris nears the ring, continuing in his speech, Steiner swoops down on him, beats the crap out of him, then throws him down on the metal ramp and walks out to a chorus of cheers.

Made me sick.
That's a little depressing, but not really surprising considering the audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chojin
*Oh, and they have a new bad guy tag team coming in that's French. And that's pretty much the only reason they're bad guys.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 12:22 PM       
This is nothing new for them. Remember during the first Gulf War when Sgt. Slaughter went native and became pro-iraq??? The Iron Sheik (R.I.P.) also joined him, although his character was supposed to be IRANIAN. It didn't matter that Iran and Iraq had just fought years of a bloody war, all that mattered was that they all wore towels on their heads.

The Nowinski character is clever, IMO. He plays into all the sterotypes and animosities held towarsds "Harvard types" by a great mass of people in this country.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:25 PM       
When professional wrestling stoops to pander, then surely the terrorists have won.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 02:57 PM       
Err, I don't think Iron Sheik is dead.

Anyway, yeah, they've done this before. They create characters to play up against what they feel is anti-patriotism. Iron Sheik, Tiger Ali, Right to Censor, Un-Americans, and now this.

But what they fail to realize is that enough is e-fucking-nough. In this case, you're talking about a protestor. His promo is about views on the war, and just because he's AGAINST it, it's heat-worthy. And he didn't even say anything bad, mind you. In many cases, you see the guys actually attacking the audience or the country. Chris did neither. He said something along the lines of this (paraphrased by Rajahwwf.com):

"He says that the belief that American might makes right is exactly what has made us vulnerable. When America goes and attacks a sovereign nation in the name of fighting terrorism, we open ourselves up to more attacks. His name is Chris Nowinski and he is an American. All he is doing is utilizing his right to give his opinions and to give the other side."
Asspunch McGruf
Skulhedface is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 03:51 PM       
the only part I caught was Bill Goldberg beating the hell out of Christian.

FS is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:13 PM       
I guess it could've been worse. He could've come out and said "AHAHAHAHA AMERICA SUCKS! I HOPE LOTS OF AMERICANS DIE AND SADDAM HUSSEIN WINS AND BECOMES PRESIDENT OF THE USA AS WELL AS IRAQ!"
Asspunch McGruf
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 04:18 PM       
They already did it... to a degree, with Sgt. Slaughter.
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Apr 8th, 2003, 11:42 PM       
Iron Sheik is dead, to my understanding.
The Moxie Nerve Food Tonic
mburbank has disabled reputation
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:04 AM       
Chief Jay Strongbow was the last wrestler I payed attention to. Because I'm old.
Mocker
The_Rorschach is probably a spambot
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:12 AM       
It was all about the Junk Yard Dog.

And the Genius.

This is bringing back painful memories of a better decade. I'm logging off to roast my ugly, inflexible, old school WWF rubber wrestling toys now.
Mocker

James sucks
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 11:20 AM       
The Sheik died. The Iron Sheik did not.
Asspunch McGruf
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:00 PM       
Junkyard Dog used to have a wrestling school 10 minutes away from here
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Apr 9th, 2003, 12:05 PM       
Quote:
or some French guys (though those two are going to be a GREAT addition) being bad because they are French.
dude, the WWF has played off stereotypes for years. ITs not like these opinions of the French just popped up.