Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Gaming 'n Toys
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Shifty is probably a spambot
Old May 9th, 2006, 08:24 PM       
Tales of symphonia. i know its for GBA and NGC, but im not sure what else.

Cliff burton Gotta love the best metal bassist to get crushed by a bus.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:26 PM       
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Truly, a moving moment in any video game.

The game nears the end as you finally get access to a castle, and go up flight after flight of stairs, killing giant Doodle bosses in a guantlet. Thankfully, if you die, you don't have to start all over.

But this moment just really makes it clear how luck is the biggest factor in the game. It's Rock-Paper-Scissors combat setup has variations (Charge/healing, the effects of magic), but it still comes down to picking the right action that trumps your enemy's. Even a weak enemy can take out your whole team by a string of luck. I got to the last boss guy, and he beat me when I was so close to killing him. Went back and killed him, and now I'm almost positive I'm at the end boss now.

Edit: Oh boy. If there's one thing I hate, it's when games break their own rules to make ridiculously cheap enemies to provide "challenge."

1) In this game, you have Attack, Block, Magic, and Charge. Boss ALSO has Special, which can't be countered/beaten, is invulnerable, and takes a chunk of your life.
2) Beat Boss? Boss comes back with 1 Hit Point left.
3) Also in this game, after you use an action, you cannot use that same action the next turn (it returns the turn after that). After Boss comes back to life, he can use these actions as many times in a row as he likes, making it harder for you to counter/beat his attacks. And by the time you beat him, you're on your last Doodle with only a sliver of life left. Did I mention he has attacks that can clear 2/3 of your HP in a single blow?

Suggestions for my next RPG, from my list?
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old May 10th, 2006, 06:08 AM       
Final Fantasy 8. I liked it, even though the teenage angst really got to my nerves at some point.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:52 PM       
Finally beat that piece of shit Magic Pengel.

Moving on to new game.

Here are my ideas;

Final Fantasy X-2 - I'm almost done with this, actually. But I stopped playing as I got closer to the hardest boss in the game. Once I beat him, and beat the game, I can go through again super-fast to get 100%

Final Fantasy 8 - I liked this game, and got all the way to the final disc. I'll start over though since it's been years since I last played. I want to figure out a strategy that has me gaining as few levels as possible, since the enemies increase in level as you do (but they can break your HP limit and have better stats than you could dream of). Or I could just play through, level up all the way, and proceed to kick ass just like I did last time.

Only problem is I need to find a place to re-hang my cloth map. AND I'd want to figure out the best way to get the best rules for Triple Triad in all regions.

Secret of Mana 2 - It sucks, and it's at a point where I need to grind for a long time to get strong enough to offset the stiff controls resulting in my constant rape. I'm near the end of this game too, but the difficulty just ramped up so it hasn't been easy getting through.

Final Fantasy 6 - I'd start over again, playing it on the PSX this time. This is the best RPG ever, so I have no problems with that. I COULD just load up the last save on my SNES cart where everyone's at level 99, and all I have to do is beat the game. But I love this game so much, that I want to experience the story again. HOWEVER, they ARE releasing a new edition of FF6 for the GBA, with new additions. So I might hold off to see what happens there.

So yeah, name some of your own suggestions, or pick one from this list above. Give me a good enough reason to play it.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:41 PM       
Play through FF6 again anyway. I'm doing that right now too and I'll probably play that new GBA version a couple months after it's released too.

If not, play Terranigma for SNES. It's either a sequel or prequel to Illusion of Gaia. Can't remember which.

That was very funny. Well done.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 10th, 2006, 10:52 PM       
Shouldn't that mean I play Illusion of Gaia first?

I was at the final boss in that game, but I could never beat them. I also never bothered going to the special place that opens up when you find all the gems.
The Wolf
Zomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contestZomboid won the popularity contest
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:07 AM       
Ok well as it turns out, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, and Terranigma are a loosely tied trilogy, in that order, but not acknowledged as such by the company...According to the wikipedia article they share the same themes and some of the same places and characters but not a continuining storyline, so you can play em in any order but it'd probably be best to start with soul blazer.

I got kinda far in Illusion but never finished it. Maybe after ff6 I'll play through those 3 :O

That was very funny. Well done.
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:37 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by James
Final Fantasy 8 - I liked this game, and got all the way to the final disc. I'll start over though since it's been years since I last played. I want to figure out a strategy that has me gaining as few levels as possible, since the enemies increase in level as you do (but they can break your HP limit and have better stats than you could dream of).
That might work, but i'm pretty sure you need to have full levels on all characters by the time you reach the last boss.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:06 PM       
OK, so I bought NWN - Platinum. Only to find out there's a NWN - Diamond for $6 more.

But looking up info on if it's worth getting Diamond instead, I'm reading some stuff about copy protection. I've heard of malware being used to prevent copying, whilst fucking up your system. Does NWN have this or not? I can't find a definitive answer?
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old May 11th, 2006, 10:08 PM       
I don't know anything about that, but Diamond's probably not worth it. It doesn't add much material, and what it does add is unforutnately unfinished, and none of it is necessary to playing the game. You're fine with just Platinum.
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:59 PM       
I have decided that my next RPG will be...

Paper Mario - N64

Will be playing it starting late this week. Right now, I'm halfway through Sly 3, so I wanna wrap that baby up.
Level 29 ♂
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:05 PM       
Have you played the other Paper Mario games yet?
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:23 PM       
Fire Emblem
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:24 PM       
Hittin the Ol' Dick with a Hammer 2
Level 29 ♂
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:29 PM       
Oh man, you haven't finished Tactics yet? You gotta do that one
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:33 PM       
Dragon Quest 8
Level 29 ♂
Old May 16th, 2006, 03:34 PM       
i hated dragon quest 5 because your character can get married in it and my girlfriend got mad at me when i did
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:58 PM       
WTF your furry girlfriend is nuts
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:47 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
Have you played the other Paper Mario games yet?
No. Paper Mario for Gamecube just went down in price, so I can finally buy that. Best Buy had it for $10 a year or so ago, but all the fucking stores were sold out. And I just bought Superstar Saga for GBA, still shrinkwrapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Woman
Fire Emblem
Too expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emu
Oh man, you haven't finished Tactics yet? You gotta do that one
Eventually. Basically, I think I'll play and beat Paper Mario, then play and beat Donkey Kong 64 so I can put my N64 away again.

Quote:
Dragon Quest 8
Absolutely refuse to play any Dragon Quest/Warrior games again, on account that they are some of the worst games ever made, and only dumb faggots who don't know any better play them.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:47 PM       
Quote:
Quote:
Fire Emblem
Too expensive.
If I meant Path of Radiance I would have said Path of Radiance. I'm talking about the first one, for the NES. It's really fun.
http://www.coolrom.com/roms/nes/876/Fire_Emblem.php

Quote:
Quote:
Dragon Quest 8
Absolutely refuse to play any Dragon Quest/Warrior games again, on account that they are some of the worst games ever made, and only dumb faggots who don't know any better play them.
Yeah but 8 is supposed to be awesome and not like the other DQ games, kind of like RE4 compared to the rest of the Resident Evils.

Or so I'm told.
Level 29 ♂
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:55 PM       
Except that all of the previous REs were good.
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:38 PM       
well not to jamesman jamesman doesn't like "tank controls"
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:48 PM       
I hate how people are always bitching about RE's control scheme, because it was actually not very annoying at all and people who can't use it just suck.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old May 16th, 2006, 10:54 PM       
Also, James doesn't like videogames very much and generally has really bad taste in them
Mocker

James sucks
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:09 PM       
Path of Radience is too expensive, too. If I'm going to buy a game I'm not sure I'll like, I don't wanna spend more than $20 if possible. The original GBA game is around $30 Used on eBay (fucking Nintendo). There's another GBA game for $20, so maybe that one. But are they all part of an overall story? It'd kind of suck to jump into one game and not know what the fuck. :/