Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 03:29 AM        Weekly Game Review: Valkyrie Profile
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Game Review: Valkyrie Profile.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 04:56 AM       
Valkyrie Profile was... too weird for me. It did flip RPG conventions on their heads, though.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 01:08 PM       
Always wanted to check this one out. Wish I had more time in my days.
RevengeVirus is probably a spambot
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 03:50 PM       
I remember renting this when it came out and thinking it was different but not necessarily great or anything, I don't see why people try and hunt it down like it's Suikoden 2 or something.

It's worth mentioning that the first in the series is really the only one worth playing though, the series kinda went downhill from here.
Cranberry Everything
dextire is probably a spambot
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 06:10 PM       
Nicely done, Pentegarn!
I've had this game for years and still haven't tried it yet.
I don't like time limit RPGs much, but with such a high review I guess it's time to try it out.
HowardC is probably a spambot
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 06:13 PM       
Whenever I see square enix on anything I have an involuntary urge to run away while pluggin my ears and shouting "LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOU!!"
fungineer
kakumei is probably a spambot
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 10:19 PM       
valkyrie profile! although i never managed to finish the game (i refused to send lucian to valhalla), i really enjoyed it. i enjoyed it so much that i bought the PSP port of it when it came out (still haven't finished it, by the way-- my brother borrowed my PSP and hasn't returned it yet). and the soundtrack! simply amazing! there are few games that i will go out of my way to collect the soundtracks for, but this one was definitely worth it. plus, pretty much all the voice actors for the game did voices for characters in pokemon (the american licensed animated series), which makes me giggle uproariously.
Forum Virgin
paulunga is probably a spambot
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 12:08 AM       
Wait, what's wrong with the graphics? I always thought this game had good sprites and backgrounds and the amount of portraits they put into this game is pretty impressive. It's also obviously better looking than just about every 3D game on that system, because goddamn, those were some ugly textures and models.

And this isn't hindsight either, I knew at the time FF7 and Resident Evil came out that they looked like crap outside of the FMVs.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:57 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevengeVirus View Post
I remember renting this when it came out and thinking it was different but not necessarily great or anything, I don't see why people try and hunt it down like it's Suikoden 2 or something.

It's worth mentioning that the first in the series is really the only one worth playing though, the series kinda went downhill from here.
:HIGHFIVE

I have an annoying Suikoden II story but I'll put it in the videogame thread,
Copper is probably a spambot
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 12:21 AM       
This game had always intrigued me and years after it had been out (and consequently soared in price), I finally managed to hunt down a copy of my own. I *still* haven't played it, though, given that I tend to play mostly just RPGs and they can take up a hell of a lot of time. Still, have it, so hopefully one of these days, I'll get to playing it.

Heh, bought Suikoden 2 new when it came out because I loved the first one. Really glad I did, hehheh.
WHAT'S THIS?!
Pentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contestPentegarn won the popularity contest
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 08:29 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunga View Post
Wait, what's wrong with the graphics? I always thought this game had good sprites and backgrounds and the amount of portraits they put into this game is pretty impressive. It's also obviously better looking than just about every 3D game on that system, because goddamn, those were some ugly textures and models.

And this isn't hindsight either, I knew at the time FF7 and Resident Evil came out that they looked like crap outside of the FMVs.
I didn't mean to imply the graphics stunk, they just weren't the best graphics in that genre. They were more than good enough for the purpose of the game, but I think for some that would not be enough for people who need their graphics to be as good as a system can make them. As I said though, it was the game experience itself that made this game, not the graphics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardC View Post
Whenever I see square enix on anything I have an involuntary urge to run away while pluggin my ears and shouting "LA LA LA I CANT HEAR YOU!!"
That's a shame, although I understand the sentiment. I have become a bit disenfranchised with the Final Fanftsy series (7, 8, 10, and X-2 especially, along with many aspects of 9) But they have some great developers under their umbrella. Tri Ace is the real driving force behind Valkyrie Profile, Radiata Stories, and the Star Ocean series. You might want to give these games at least a chance despite SquareEnix being the publisher.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 01:11 AM       
The first Suikoden was pretty good as well.
RevengeVirus is probably a spambot
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 01:38 PM       
The first two were gold but 1 was released on the Playstation Network for some 10 bucks, if you want Suikoden 2 you'll have to either pay out the ass on eBay or mod your PSP to play PSOne games like I did and download it.
drifting in the void
OxBlood is probably a spambot
Old Feb 3rd, 2010, 09:02 AM       
I first encountered Valkyrie Profile on the PSP since it never came out in Germany on the PS1, but I can describe the game in two words.

NIBELUNG VALESTI! *blast*

Nice game.