Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Site Forums > Article Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

I ARE ROBOT
MockBot has disabled reputation
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 03:33 AM        Weekly Movie Review: Tropic Thunder
Automatically generated comment thread for Weekly Movie Review: Tropic Thunder.
1.21 Gigawatts!!!
McFly is probably a spambot
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 09:11 AM       
The only main criticism that I have for the movie is that it floundered a little bit. It kind of became somewhat of a jumbled mess when it tried to mix character development with being funny. The plot started getting a little weak at this point and you started to wonder where this story was actually going.

Having said that, I felt that the movie was pretty funny overall. This is especially the case with Robert Downey, Jr. who played the character with perfection. The cleverest ploy used in the movie would definitely have to be the trailers. It was the best way to sum up what each of the actors was about and poke fun at each of the movie genres.
1.21 Gigawatts!!!
McFly is probably a spambot
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 09:16 AM       
I also have to agree about the comment with Jack Black. Half the movie I could not tell if he had gotten rabies from the bat or if he was in withdrawal. Only near the end, did it start coming together. Still there were a lot of scenes where he would be freaking out and then be completely lucid, almost looking bored two seconds later.
Forum Virgin
alittlebirdytoldmeso is probably a spambot
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 09:46 AM       
Never go full on retard.

And wow, Robert Downey Jr. - Iron Man and then this. What the hell can't he do?
Pickled Patriarch
Mockery is probably a real personMockery is probably a real person
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 01:24 PM       
Ok, I have to chime in on this one because I definitely don't think it's worthy of a 4 pickle rating. First, lemme talk about what IS good about the movie.

Yes, as everybody has talked about recently, Robert Downey Jr. is absolutely fantastic in the movie and he is easily the big showstealer here. As funny as his character is, it's the fake trailer of his with Tobey Maguire at the beginning of the film that I honestly thought was the funniest thing in the movie. Another nice surprise was Nick Nolte's role in the film as a pseudo Vietnam vet... I really wish he had more to do in it because he was a badass. Also noteworthy, believe it or not, is Tom Cruise. Watching him yell on the phone like a raving lunatic is definitely fun, though his character does tend to get old after a while.

Now for the bad. As good as Robert Downey Jr. is, 90% of what he does that's funny has already been in every commercial/trailer that you've seen. So that right there was extremely disappointing. Ben Stiller's role is ok in parts (such as the homage to Platoon with his hands flailing in the air), but for the most part he doesn't really add anything to the film. The biggest disappointment, as Proto already mentioned, is Jack Black. I like Jack Black a lot and think he's an excellent physical comedian when given the opportunity... but goddamn, they really didn't use him to his potential in this.

Now I knew lots of people would love this movie regardless, and believe me... I really wanted to... but I barely laughed at all through the entire film. For all the brilliance that is Downey Jr., most of the gags fall completely flat. So four pickles? No way... 2.5 at best (and that's being generous). If you want to see a truly funny comedy in theaters right now, I'd suggest checking out Step Brothers, because that movie IS filled with great laughs, which really surprised me since I wasn't expecting much from it at all.
Jason's a Furry! Run!
Relaxing Dragon is probably a spambot
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 01:58 PM       
I disagree, I thought it was a hilarious movie. Jack Black was a bit of a downer, yes (except, as Proto pointed out, the part where he's tied to a tree), but I loved all the other actors. And the bits with the studio boss were especially hilarious (his insult on the phone is one if the biggest laughs in the film, I think). And the full retard bit was great, in my opinion.

Really, the only problem I had with this movie was the fake trailers. They were good for a laugh or two, but overall nothing special (nothing that touches the awesomeness of the fake trailers in Grindhouse, that's for sure).
Pickleman's Uncle
Poxpower is probably a spambot
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:27 PM       
I was tipsy when I went to see it and had to pee like MAD for the entire duration of the movie. I only remember like half of it, but the best part is by FAR the beginning of the movie, with the fake trailers.
Which was also by FAR the best thing about GrindHouse.

So whoever wants to make a 2 hour sequence of awesome trailers and fake commercials, you're damn welcome.

Also the best comedic war movie ever made is Hot Shots: Part Deux. It will remain unbeatable until the ends of time.
pickled
Nick is probably a spambot
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 06:08 PM       
I'm heading out this weekend to see it. It better no disappoint.
Pickled Patriarch
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 09:40 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poxpower View Post
Also the best comedic war movie ever made is Hot Shots: Part Deux. It will remain unbeatable until the ends of time.
Ah the days when parody movies were done right... now we have shite like "Epic Movie" and "Disaster Movie" instead. I can't believe I didn't mention Hot Shots: Part Deux, because yes, I've always absolutely loved that flick. Topper Harley rules.

"WAR. IT'S FANTASTIC!" -Commander Arvid Harbinger
testtube is probably a spambot
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM       
I just watched this off the net and I am glad I didn't pay to go to a theater. What a chickenshit copout of a movie, Ben Stiller fucking sucks.
As u wish...
bountyhunterseven is probably a spambot
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 01:10 AM       
lemme add-in...i liked it more that i'd care to admit, sorry...BUT i think a main draw back is the audience needs to know a LITTLE obout "the industry" to seriously get the jokes...just enough...
Holy Diver
Funky Fried Chicken is probably a spambot
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 10:29 PM       
What about the scene with the director and the mine? I was practically on the ground laughing at that. Granted I was the only one in the audience doing it...but still I can't be the only one...
What Video Games?
Angryhydralisk is probably a spambot
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 11:21 AM       
God, Hot Shots: Part Deux. So many crazy one-liners in that movie, such as:

"I will kill you until you die from it"
and
"We're gonna do this the old navy way. First one to die....loses!"
Pickled Patriarch
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 11:32 AM       
Indeed, and don't forget:

"These men have taken a supreme vow of celibacy, like their fathers, and their fathers before them..."

and

(Charlie and Martin Sheen passing each other) "I loved you in Wall Street!"
Sympathizes with the foo'
Mister Tea is probably a spambot
Old Aug 31st, 2008, 12:35 AM       
I'm ready to see a comedy that A: isn't one of those stupid fucking "unfunny reference" movies that becomes dated the second it hits theaters (The "Leave Britney Alone" guy? Yeah, we remember him, but where's the joke?), and B: isn't made by Judd Apatow (Seth Rogen must have some dirty pictures of this guy; there's no other reason for that asshole to have a career). I'm going to check this one out.
Forum Virgin
Darren Spooner is probably a spambot
Old Sep 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM       
This hasn't come to Sweden yet... But I'm waiting for it. I thought it would be great since I read that stuff in some magazine about Ben Stiller's character trying to get an Oscar by playing a retard, but he goes TOO retarded, so it doesn't work, Oscar's only go to people who plays semi-retards. That's great!
I wonder if Stiller got inspired by his cameo in Extras...?