Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Miscellaneous Forums > Questions, Suggestions, and Tech Support
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 01:55 PM        Computer woes... again
Recently, my computer started freezing up for no apparent reason. First, the active window would lock up, and a few seconds later, the rest would lock up as well, and I knew when all this was about to take place because it would all be proceeded by a soft "clack" that I normally associated with the regular workings of the harddrive.

Anyway, I thought it might be overheating for some reason, so I took it apart, cleaned out the inside, cleaned up the fans, and everything seemed to be fine again. Then, it all began again a few hours later, and the lockups were closer together, to the point where the PC would restart before even loading windows.

I managed to get into Safe Mode, and everything seemed fine there, so I did a virus scan and an adaware scan (just for fun), and found nothing. So, I assumed that perhaps my new video drivers were to blame. I uninstalled the new ones and reinstalled the old ones that came with the card, restarted the computer, and assumed everything was AOK. Well, no: I went to get a soda and when I came back, the blue screen of death was showing (the modern one, with all sorts of tiny text on it) and it restarted itself. Now, I can get to the prompt where you choose between normal startup, safe mode, et al, but when I choose one, it just locks up.

Does anyone know what is causing this problem/what I can do about it?

Also, I'm a little alarmed about the fact that this sort of thing only seems to be happening to me 2 weeks before the end of a semester, when I have a number of papers/projects to finish, but that's for another thread...
Lingonberry pancakes
Mad Melvin is probably a real personMad Melvin is probably a real person
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 02:42 PM       
This could be caused by bad ram or a faulty motherboard. You can also try to reinstall windows and keep your fingers crossed. :/
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 06:00 PM       
Aye, it sounds like a RAM problem. Go into your BIOS settings and make sure the RAM test stuff is on.

Try taking some of the RAM out of your computer, too and changing it around (i.e. if you have two sticks of RAM, try your computer with just one, and then the other to narrow it down). If the problem still occurs, then it's something else.
Funky Dynamite
Dr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty okDr. Boogie is probably pretty ok
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:28 PM       
Now I'm even more confused than before.

I tried popping the ram out (2 sticks of 256) and I tried a couple of different configurations, and the computer did not like that. Whenever I turned it on, it wouldn't load anything; it would just beep angrily at me, so I put all the ram back in the way it was originally in there and turned it back on.

And now, nothing loads. Not even that first memory check/bios/whatever screen. It just sits there, showing only the monitor self test pattern. The self test will blink off for a moment, as though it were going to show something else, but then it comes right back on again.

I've got to say, I definitely did not expect something like that to happen. Anyone have any input on this new, even more infuriating situation?
Mocker
whoreable is probably a spambot
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 08:40 PM       
if the monitor self test comes on either your monitor is not plugged into your computer, or the monitor is set on the incorrect input. on 90% of monitor if it is plugged into a vga port the self test shouldnt come on.
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 11:45 PM       
But when you first turn on a computer, assume it's hooked up right and everything works, it still shows the monitor self test for a moment before the motherboard info/bios/whatever pops up. That's kind of what is happening now; it's like it's stuck in that brief moment before the text shows up onscreen.
Lord Felch Demon
Ninjavenom is probably a spambot
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 02:28 AM       
There hasn't been a thunderstorm lately, has there? I lost my mobo to a lightning storm, and when your PC beeps at your more than once or twice (if it normally does that) it means that you have some kind of hardware error. I know that doesn't help a lot, but that may explain why removing the RAM made it worse. Perhaps your RAM slot/s have been fried by a surge?
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 11:04 AM       
There's been a little rain, but no thunder or lightning. At least not during any time that I was awake. Plus, I have a surge protector, and it looks ok.

I almost hope that it is a hardware problem, and that fixing it will simply be a matter of swapping out a new part. I'm been looking at new mobos for a while because I was hoping to upgrade, on account of my current one not being able to utilize more powerful processors (or at least that's how it was explained to me).
Mocker
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 06:41 PM       
remove both sticks, when you turn it on, it should beep.

if it does take just one stick and put it in the first slot(depends on the brand, usually closest to the proc) see if you get any video. If the self test is on all the time, check the input mode, if it just flashes as you suggested and you still see nothing, remove the memory and put in the other stick.
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 08:48 PM       
Alright, I pulled out my motherboard manual to take a look, and found something surprising: Apparently, I've had my three sticks of ram in slots 2, 3, and 4 (as opposed to 1, 2, and 3) since I built the thing a couple years ago. It hasn't bothered me since then, so I guess that's ok. Anyway, here's what else I found:

When all the ram is out, the computer does beep. I tried putting each stick in, individually, in both the 1 slot and the slot it was originally in. With two of the sticks, the PC still beeped, but with one of them, it didn't beep no matter which slot it was in, but neither did it get past that blinking monitor self test. The CD drive lights blinked as they usually do during startup, but the power light and "thinking" light just below it stay on all the time.

So does this mean I have a bad mobo and two bad sticks of RAM, or is there something else afoot?
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 08:57 PM       
See if your mobo manual has a guide to its POST beeps (beeps it makes when it starts up). Usually they have a sort of secret code that will tell you what's wrong.
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:08 PM       
Unfortunately, nothing. There's a troubleshooting section, but it only deals with problems relating to the CMOS, BIOS, and RAID, and not about the mysterious beeps when nothing loads at all.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:27 PM       
Usually when you get a beep without anyone happening at all, it's video card related. However, it can also be your mobo going crazy or your mobo being so crazy that it thinks it's having video problems.

At least, that's what my old one was doing, and after turning it off and on a bunch I saw a flash under the mobo and one of the little nodes next to the video card starting glowing and smoking. The mobo and the card were ruined :<

So i'd recommend a new mobo and ram anyway. Most likely you can get a faster speed ram, and you should only be using pairs of ram to begin with, not 3 sticks.
Mocker
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 09:45 PM       
I would guess that not both stick sof memory would be bad, if you tested each one by themselves and you motherboard does not require pairs(it might if you have rdram) then it probably is related to something other than memory
Lord Felch Demon
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 02:50 AM       
http://www.mcmcse.com/comptia/aplus/...shooting.shtml

Check this out:

Quote:
1 long = System memory failure
1 long then 2 short = Video controller failure
1 long then 3 short = Video controller failure
Continuous = Video or memory failure
That's a beep code example for an Award BIOS. If you tell us what BIOS you have or google it yourself, you should be able to find some kind of chart. The BIOS type is usually listed on one ofyour Startup screens.

Also check this out:

Quote:
System locks up consistently a few minutes after power up - This is usually associated with a failed processor fan or general overheating. Boot the system with the case off and see if the fan is running. If not, the fan and likely the processor will need to be replaced.
Quote:
System locks up while counting RAM - Usually requires that the processor be replaced
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 01:49 PM       
I hope they mention the BIOS type in the manual, because I can't get to any startup screens.

Anyway, I did notice that the first beep was longer than the following beeps (when it was beeping, that is). I only waited around for two additional beeps, though, before turning it off again.

I'll check the manual for the BIOS type later tonight.
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 07:47 PM       
Yeah, the shots in the manual say it's an Award BIOS.
Lord Felch Demon
Old Nov 29th, 2005, 11:33 PM       
Quote:
1 long, 2 short = Indicates a video error has occurred and the BIOS cannot initialize the video screen to display any additional information
Any other beep(s) = RAM problem.
Well shit, that doesn't help at all.

A second opinion:

Quote:
1long, 2 short Video adapter error = Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly.
Repeating (endless loop) = Memory error Check for improperly seated or missing memory.
1long, 3short = No video card or bad video RAM Reseat or replace the video card.
High frequency beeeps while running = Overheated CPU Check the CPU fan for proper operation. Check the case for proper air flow.
Repeating High/Low = CPU - Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed.

According to all of these sites, Award has no standard code for POST beeps. You can either call the Award head office and ask them for help ( 1-800-800-BIOS ) or you can tell us what make and model your mobo is and we'll see what we can find.
Funky Dynamite
Old Nov 30th, 2005, 12:13 AM       
I'll post the make and model for anyone who wants to help (and by the way, thanks to everyone who has helped thusfar).

It's an ABIT brand KR7A-133/KR7A-133R motherboard.
Funky Dynamite
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 07:34 PM       
So it sounds like I should just get a new motherboard (and possibly new RAM as well).

Can I just get a new mobo and processor and pop them in without doing anything else, or do I need to install some kind of software/buy a new power supply/etc?
Lord Felch Demon
Old Dec 1st, 2005, 10:18 PM       
Sorry i didn't get to you earlier, i had a lot of homework all up ins

If you get a new mobo + processor (+ram, maybe), all you really need to do is fit the mobo inside the case and make sure that your power supply will power the whole set. If that's good, then yeah, all you need to do is reformat (d'oh) your hard drive/s, or make a new boot partition that will work with this motherboard. I dunno what all else you should need to force to recognize the new board, but be ready for a bit of work.
Funky Dynamite
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 12:46 AM       
Curses. Reformatting is such a hassle.

Is there no other way to get this turkey working, one that doesn't involve erasing the contents of my C drive (I assume the partition option might, but hell, I don't know anything anymore)?
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Dec 2nd, 2005, 09:45 AM       
well, if you replaced the mobo with the exact same model you wouldn't need to reinstall your OS, but trying to run as OS that was installed on a different motherboard will be unstable at best.

you could also get a 2nd hard drive and install the new OS on it, keeping the 2nd HD as a slave drive, which would save you the trouble of backing up all your old papers, music, etc. this is assuming you have room in your case for another drive.