Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

No sir, I don't like it
DeadKennedys is probably a spambot
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 04:15 PM        30 Days of Night
Anyone seen this yet?

It's set in a town in Alaska, where once a year, the sun doesn't rise for an entire month. If that isn't ominous enough, 4/5 of the town leaves, and a mysterious stranger shows up in town. Before they know it, vampires descend and half a month-long blood orgy ensues.

I wasn't too happy to see Josh Hartnett as the protagonist, but he wasn't bad. Also, hot vampire bitches.

I thought the vampires, their dialogue, actions, suspense, were all very well done.

Best quote? "I can kill anything. I can kill these."

-Sethomas, Cunning Linguist
I hate this hacker crap!
MarioRPG is probably a real personMarioRPG is probably a real person
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 04:29 PM       
I heard it's mediocre. It's a rental for me.

LOVE, YOUR FIJIAN HOST DAD
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Oct 21st, 2007, 01:20 AM       
is bruce campbell in it
also josh did a great job in lucky number slevin

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 11:18 PM       
I went on a second date to see this movie, and the girl I took is like an Ann Rice vampire purist.

So, afterward, she was all like "omg! After like 25 days they should be tired and hungry, not so strong!"

I liked it. We probably won't go out again.
Banned
noob3 is probably a spambot
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 04:32 PM       
it sucked and had lots of plot holes! like, it goes straight from the survivors doubting that they are vampires ie "VAMPIRES AINT REAL!" to "HERE'S THE PLAN, GUYS! WE'RE GOING TO SNEAK OUT TO GRANDMA'S HOUSE, AND USE HER WEED LAMPS TO BURN THEM INTO VAMPIRE DUST! READY? GO!" (YES THAT IS A REAL SCENARIO IN THE MOVIE, AND NO, IT DOES NTO MAKE IT ANY BETTER)

don't go see this movie it really sucks! we should have seen saw 4, it says "IT's A TRAP!" right there on the movie thing! that's like one of the coolest lines ever!

also, spoilers:

3 people turn into vampires, and the main guy's solution is to cut thier head off. okay, great. but in the end, he's like "MAN I HAVE TO TURN INTO A VAMPIRE TO FIGHT THESE GUYS!" wtf? why didn't they just send the infected dudes to fight? what a load of shit!
Mocker
zeldasbiggestfan suckszeldasbiggestfan sucks
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 08:49 PM       
I heard it really sucked.

I still want to see it.
Ringmonster
J. Tithonus Pednaud is probably a spambot
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 08:45 PM       
I thought it was excellent. Good amount of story and action and the best decapitation I've ever witnessed on film.
Creepy Old Fart
JediScum is probably a spambot
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 12:28 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Tithonus Pednaud View Post
the best decapitation I've ever witnessed on film.
So you're saying you've seen one not on film?!?!?
Ringmonster
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 09:12 AM       
Yes!!!

Last edited by J. Tithonus Pednaud : Nov 4th, 2007 at 01:56 AM.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 03:55 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinTheOmnivore View Post
I went on a second date to see this movie, and the girl I took is like an Ann Rice vampire purist.
"Anne Rice" and "vampire purist" should never go in the same sentence together.
Ringmonster
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 04:37 PM       
No doubt. One of the reasons I liked 30 Days was because it dropped all the romantic undead bullshit and revisited the original vampire-creature mythos. I'm checking it out again tonight.
Role Assigner
MattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's armyMattJack has joined BAPE's army
Old Nov 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM       
I wasn't scurrrd.

It was basically a big gore fest to me, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I was expecting to be a little creeped out.

To me it was basically a spin off of Hope Floats, but it just had a little bit of gore and a slightly worse storyline.
Danskjävlar!
Mintrude is probably a spambot
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 09:16 AM       
Did the vampires follow that horrible trend of looking like cyber-goths? Ick.
No sir, I don't like it
Old Nov 4th, 2007, 10:10 PM       
Quote:
No doubt. One of the reasons I liked 30 Days was because it dropped all the romantic undead bullshit and revisited the original vampire-creature mythos. I'm checking it out again tonight.
Yeah. Instead of sipping Chardonnay and doing the weeping willow to thumping goth and techno tracks and gently giving their "victims" love bites whilst fucking them, they're hissing, tearing people to shreds (women, children, and alzheimer's patients are not spared), lighting towns on fire and sowing chaos while alluding to their mythology and looking creepy, ancient (if they had a cyber-goth phase, they grew out of it), and sexy in their totally sweet suits.

If nothing else, the character design was fantastic

What's the problem with the other characters? They're hicks in the frozen north. Some of them will deny it until they're faced with it and their lives are at stake, while others take action and defend the herd at their own expense. Pretty accurate. And using UV rays was damn clever. Just a shame that the hot vampire bitch had to die.

SPOILERS

Sure, I'll agree with you on this, the climax was a little stupid. They couldn't trust another vampire to stay on their side, but somehow he figured that WITH THE POWER OF LOVE he could stay good long enough to change at the *exact* moment to shove his vampire-y fist through the back of the bad guy's throat, and still share a touching sunrise with his estranged wife before turning into charcoal.

Also, what the hell is a Utilador? Is it a generator? A heli pad? A giant woodchipper? A sanctuary when you and your town have gone to shit?

CHUD.com said it best. This is a big dumb action film. It looks great, lots of blood, it's exciting. The problem is, you never have a sense of character, no one to empathize with. They show little emotion, they care nothing for supplies, and they're all in great mental health by the end of it. The Utilador is their bastion of hope, and while too far to ever reach until the end of the film, it's close enough to the center of town to recognize people hiding under their cars. It's fun to watch them fight vampires for a couple of hours, but you never get the feeling that they're under siege by them for a month. One moment, it's hour 23, the next, it's day 13 and Hartnett has grown a beard; not to mention, they've had no food, no water, there's no tension, and the vampires, who were surgically tearing apart every house in the town didn't find theirs until halfway through.

That being said, it's a fun movie.

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:17 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintrude View Post
Did the vampires follow that horrible trend of looking like cyber-goths? Ick.
I always think that "cyber-goth" just sounds like a description for a goth that spends a whole bunch of time on the Internet.

Though I can't imagine it being a very useful noun as it seems all goths spend a whole bunch of time on the Internet.

It's like calling a fish a water-fish.
No sir, I don't like it
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 01:28 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia View Post
I always think that "cyber-goth" just sounds like a description for a goth that spends a whole bunch of time on the Internet.

Though I can't imagine it being a very useful noun as it seems all goths spend a whole bunch of time on the Internet.

It's like calling a fish a water-fish.
I hung out with goths in high school, so don't crucify me

Classic goth came about during the punk movement. They like Victorian style old clothes, manners, that kind of culture, but a little darker. It's actually quite cool, the ones I met were interesting, thoughtful, and fun to hang out with. Imagine if Elves wore black? Kinda like that

Then there's the new-wave cyber goths, the Mansonites, they want to shock you, they act like emos, and they shop at Hot Topic. The cyber goth look, I guess, is those giant raver pants, Invader Zim and other random shirts, with stupid glasses and ugly piercings.

Mocker
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 03:03 PM       
Quote:
Huh???
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 03:10 PM       
Vampire = Monster

Anne Rice/"Modern" Vampire = Colossal faggot with emotional baggage. Also, usually a Mary Sue.
Danskjävlar!
Mintrude is probably a spambot
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 05:31 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grislygus View Post
Vampire = Monster

Anne Rice/"Modern" Vampire = Colossal faggot with emotional baggage. Also, usually a Mary Sue.

And usually those bloody Klingon foreheads. What the deuce is that all about?
Ringmonster
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 07:54 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKennedys View Post

Also, what the hell is a Utilador? Is it a generator? A heli pad? A giant woodchipper? A sanctuary when you and your town have gone to shit?
A utilador is a 'utility corridor'. In cold climes towns build a single complex to house all the local utility industries. So, the one building is the local power station, incinerator, et all. The grinding jaws you see in the film are part of the incinerator - chews up bigger bits of the garbage for faster and more efficient burning. In places like the Yukon, the incinerator helps repel permafrost, heat homes and is harnessed to power generators.
No sir, I don't like it
Old Nov 5th, 2007, 08:22 PM       
Well, thank you very much.

So how did he turn a box of flares into a crate of dynamite?

Mocker
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 01:35 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grislygus View Post
Vampire = Monster

Ok, fair enough. I prefer the scary monster, too

But how is that a reversion to some old vampire "mythos"?

The popular view of a vampire is the gay guy.
Ancient Mariner
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 01:48 PM       
To badly paraphrase those many wonderful George Carlin bits that I'm far, far too lazy to look up, "Popular usage is for schmucks". They're a scary part of local lore, a boogeyman variant, I don't care what AlphonseMcNiteheart@aol.com thinks.
Mocker
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:18 PM       
Quote:
They're a scary part of local lore, a boogeyman variant
Based on what?

And I'm glad you're a cultural snob, but if there was ever a medium that depended upon pop success it's horror.

Where are you getting your version of Dracula? Bram Stroker's and Rice were closer to the gay Vlad Tepes twist around you dislike.
Ringmonster
Old Nov 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKennedys View Post

So how did he turn a box of flares into a crate of dynamite?

Hollywood magic?

Ya, flares don't explode. That's actually one of their touted features.

By the way, vampires aren't real either.