Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:20 AM        Kitsa goes to the Air Force Museum
I live near the National Air Force Museum. It's something to do. Admission is free.

I go for the artsier stuff, like the art on planes and wartime posters, and the creative stuff like the various contraptions POWs have MacGyvered out of tin cans and soap. There's also a new holocaust exhibit there I plan on going back to.

The one thing that consistently pisses me off is how dark it is in there...makes things very hard to photograph, although I'm sure they have to preserve delicate materials.

De planes!

12-way mousetrap made of wire and tin cans in a POW camp.

Japanese-made "surrender now" leaflets...

A lifesize diorama of a guy failing flight school:

Either their American Neutrality exhibit wasn't finished yet, or they were trying to make some sort of statement, still not sure.

Concentration camp map drawn by a prisoner.

Student holocaust art.

Open bomb bay doors of Bockscar, the plane that dropped the atomic bomb on Nagasaki. :america

It was a little uncomfortable because a lot of Japanese tourists were standing around taking pictures of it.

Freaky ass bass drum from the French military. Why it had this face on it was never explained. I'm assuming it's a caricature of someone. (EDIT: Yes, I realize it's probably the kaiser who gets whacked in the face, but I didn't know if it was him specifically or just a general germanic caricature)

Ballistic Missiles. These things were fucking ENORMOUS. If you don't believe me, squint at the bottom center to see the tiny people and tiny railing on the second floor.

Well yeah, I guess it is:

"40 Men or 8 Horses" freight car used to transport men to the front, among other things.

There was also an Air Force One that you could take a bus to go see, but you had to have government-issued ID and the wait was about 2 hours, so we decided we didn't need to see it that badly.

Foy's, the nifty halloween place, is very nearby but we found out they're closed on Sundays

YOU'RE WELCOME.

Last edited by Kitsa : Jun 12th, 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Supa Soviet Missil Mastar
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:38 AM       

I like the wax models, especially the one of the guy failing his flight school. Great stuff. The ICBMs are also awesome.

Oh, and the guy on the drum is Der Kaiser.
teacup of sunshine
Kitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contestKitsa won the popularity contest
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:47 AM       
Is it? I figured it was something of that ilk, but he was so dark I didn't know if that was on purpose or aging of whatever pigment they used.

There were handwritten inscriptions all over the drum, but most were just "so and so was here" in French and didn't really reference the (obviously handpainted) picture specifically.

I love the dioramas too. When I was a little kid I wanted to be the person who painted them and set them up.
Zhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's armyZhukov has joined BAPE's army
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:53 AM       
Oh come on, the moustache and iron cross didn't give it away? If it's not the Kaiser, it's generic-Hun-001.

You make me want to go to the museum here and take some photos of the wax convicts they have set up.
teacup of sunshine
Old May 19th, 2010, 11:57 AM       
"generic hun-001" was more what I was thinking.

If you ever find yourself in Middleofnowhere, Ohio, I recommend this place. Can't beat free, although as an Australian you won't be able to see Air Force One.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old May 21st, 2010, 10:45 AM       
You should made a bunch of kids books of your adventures.

Kitsa goes to the ______ could really do well.

I can't see any of the pictures right now but in my mind they're animated.
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old May 21st, 2010, 04:11 PM       
I could definitely picture a Kitsa at the Dayton Air Force Museum.

I feel like everyday I see you, but then again I think every red head is you.
teacup of sunshine
Old May 21st, 2010, 06:53 PM       
I get that a lot.

I am not in your town often. I have a second cousin who lives there or something but I never visit. I am in Columbus frequently, so it's possible.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:07 AM       
I was watching a documentary on deforestation in Indonesia, and the every time I saw a wheelbarrow full of orangutans I thought of Kitsa.
teacup of sunshine
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:56 AM       
again, I get that a lot.
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old May 22nd, 2010, 10:40 PM       
I swear I saw you before at a Steak n Shake. I wanted to go up and say something but I'm pretty sure I would of gotten "What the hell's a Kitsa" as a response.
Amicable Herculean
captain516 is probably a real personcaptain516 is probably a real person
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:28 PM       
Pretty neat stuff. That Mousetrap is especially amazing.
Beloved Cunt
WhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty okWhiteRat is probably pretty ok
Old May 23rd, 2010, 02:16 AM       
As a former Airman, I shed a tear of pride.

The museum outside Eglin AFB in Fort Walton Beach, FL is good stuff as well. I'll try to post pics from the last time I was there soon.
teacup of sunshine
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:12 AM       
The rare times I go to Steak and Shake it's usually the drive-through.
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:31 PM       
i went there a couple of years ago! it's too great

*SMILE SMILE*
Otto is probably pretty okOtto is probably pretty okOtto is probably pretty okOtto is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 12:59 PM       
I remember going to the Smithsonian once to look at the history of aviation exhibit and the Enola Gay exhibit was full of Japanese Tourists. I think the funniest part were the teenage girls smiling and posing in front of the replicas of the bombs.
"You've gotta' look to the future. The future is anarchy. I'm talking about lawlessness, I'm talking about the Lebanons of the future. I'm talking about the breakdown of the whole system. The military defending people against people. You won't get your appropriations waving that flag, there's no glory in that kind of warfare!"
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 04:08 PM       
yeah, that's kind of fucked.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 11:33 PM       
My girlfriend was in the Chair Force ROTC until they discovered how bad her eyesight is. We drove to the Dayton/Cincinnati metropolitan area and instead of looking at a romanticized diorama of the life that she missed out on, we went to King's Island then bought camel meat at Jungle Jim's. Hint: if you can find a time when school is in session and the general population is suffering from an abject lack of disposable income, there is no line whatsoever to ride The Beast.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 12:17 AM       
Amen. The Beast is well worth the trip.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 10:58 PM       
I haven't been to Wright Patterson in years. I remember as an 11-year-old, my favorite things were a patch from Von Richtofen's triplane and some plaque talking about "Puff, the Magic Dragon" for reasons I never understood. And as a 7-year-old, I bought some astronaut freeze-dried ice cream and I tried to make it into a rootbeer float by shoving it into a lukewarm can of Barq's.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 11:04 PM       
I might go back soon, if all goes as planned.
teacup of sunshine
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 10:11 PM       
Went back today...not that badly crowded for a Saturday morning. There is something about that place, either the concrete floors or the fact that it's a huge walk through hangar after hangar, but it makes your feet hurt like all hell.

I wanted to play with the interactive land-on-an-aircraft-carrer challenge in the kids' area but there were kids playing with it, dammit. I COULD HAVE DONE IT, TOO! Instead, I held my kid up in the spacesuit for a photo op because it's just so droll.

Some more pics.

Upside-down in a dogfight exhibit...that mannequin must be strapped in there really well, but I entertained fun thoughts of museum patrons getting hit by dropping wigs/caps.

"Demilitarized" twin of the a-bomb dropped on Nagasaki. I know they go on at length about the museum being haunted, but to tell you the truth, the Bockscar exhibit is the only one I can't bring myself to get too close to.

Glenn Miller's cap and spare glasses.

Concentration camp uniform, which apparently is one of the very few in recognizable condition.

Artifacts from the Theresienstadt Ghetto.

Late-Generation Baader-Meinhof poster.

My own "highest step in the world" photo...this is in the Missile display, on the second level.

Air Force medal of honor. I took a picture of all the Air Force medals in a case, but it's hard to make them out individually.

Still failing flight school.

BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 12:31 AM       
man that holocaust outfit would make a SMASHING pair of pajamas

I bet there were tons of people who were like, "WE MIGHT BE GETTIN GENOCIDED, BUT AT LEAST WE GOT THESE SWANK CLOTHES"