Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > General Blabber
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 12:18 PM        A rather awkward evening
Last evening, the University of Manitoba computer science department held it's annual pig roast. A lot of people show up, and it's a good opportunity to talk to friends that you haven't seen for a few months (especially in my case, where I'm currently on a co-op work term). Under normal circumstances, this isn't awkward by a long shot, unless you are an anti-social dweeb, but certain events made it a little bit uncomfortable for me and left me wondering what emotion it is that I felt/am feeling. I've never quite experienced anything like it, so I was hoping that someone here could shed some light on it.

The evening was going great (as far as a gathering of geeks goes, I guess). A few hours after everything "began," a few late-comers showed up. A few of these people I talk to on a regular basis during classes, so I was looking forward to catching up... I was very surprised--and I mean very, very, stop-in-mid-sentence surprised to see that one of the guys had HER in tow. She noticed me immediately, too, and looked away after a few seconds.

For those of you who may not recall, SHE is the one that things ended up very badly for all involved due to my stupidity and her bitchiness... two years ago. True to form, I swore and announced jokingly to Fatbinge that this was going to throw my whole evening off.

It didn't, of course. I recovered from my depression and got over my feelings for her several months after the whole incident, and with help from people here and my friends I realized that what happened was really kinda funny.

I can't explain how I felt, though. It was surreal, because I suddenly felt very conscious of what I was doing. I know that she was watching me several times during the evening, because when I looked in her direction (from the other side of the party), she would look away after a few seconds or get the belligerant expression on her face that I came to see so often.

The only interaction that I had with her for the entire evening was nodding at her to acknowledge her presence while talking to a group of people and she was sitting nearby.

It was obvious she she and this other guy are seeing each other, and that honestly doesn't bother me. I don't care for her anymore (and I don't have any feelings of malice anymore), but I still had a strong feeling of apprehension that I can't explain.

She eventually left when her group had to go, and I stayed for a while afterwards. The weight was gone and I felt normal again, except for the nagging emotion that I kept feeling as I recalled events on the drive home.

So, now I'm trying to figure it out. It wasn't jealousy; I've been extremely jealous in the past and this wasn't that. I don't think it was regret, either; while I regret a lot of the mistakes that I made while I was seeing her, I realize that I learned from them and won't make them again... that alone reduces my regrets to the kind you express while drinking, saying stuff like "yeah, if I had known this I'd have done that long ago blah blah blah."

If anything, seeing her after so long made her flaws stand out. I still find her attractive, but that was never the issue. As I observed her, I noticed that she has very childish mannerisms, something which is very off-putting for me now. I guess I never really noticed it before. I can still see elements of what attracted me to her, but there's a lot of things that I now notice that aren't very compatible. Any relationship that I might have had with her in Bizzaro World would have ultimately ended up as badly as it eventually did.

So why the hell do I feel so wierd?
Level 29 ♂
Emu is probably a real personEmu is probably a real person
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 12:29 PM       
It's natural to feel uncomfortable around exes, even if you haven't seen them in forever. Maybe it's something to do with you noticing things about her flaws?
Mocker

kellychaos is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 12:38 PM       
Bask in the glow of your aloofness and self-discovery secure in the knowledge that you intimidated her more than she intimidate you. Childish, I know, but infinitely entertaining.

Wherever you go, there you are.
Mocker
The One and Only... is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 01:20 PM       
Sounds kinda like what happens whenever circumstances force Marissa and I to talk to each other.

I'd like to know why she glares at my girlfriend in classes though...
Mocker

Old Jun 25th, 2005, 01:24 PM       
You will NOT make this into an OAO thread. That is unacceptable and I defy it most resolutely!

Resident Chimp
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 03:04 PM       
I forbid you from talking in this thread, OAO.
Tara is probably a spambot
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 07:48 PM       
I don't think there is any way you could possibly feel "normal" around an ex. The feelings change and suddenly you notice every flaw you ever overlooked in the lady. I dunno. Maybe your beating yourself up over being attracted to her in the first place and all of those memories therein?
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Jun 25th, 2005, 11:23 PM       
This thread should of been presented in comic form.
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 12:38 AM       
Most of my exes had partings on fairly good terms. Except my ex-wife, which was somewhere between bad and neutral terms, so I never saw her much afterwards. It is funny how you notice all kinds of shit that annoys you to no end tho. I guess that's better than thinking <<oh my god, she's so perfect except for the fact that she doesn't love me **BOOHOO**>>

It's much better to be thinking <<Heh, I can't believe I fucked that silly bitch in my friend's bathroom! **GRIN**>>
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 02:43 AM       
it is possible to feel normal around an ex, given a lot of time and having dealt with the internal issues and having come to an understanding with said ex.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 08:11 AM       
yeah of course it is, but you have to be relatively free of issues between you for this to happen. Achimp is a walking time-bomb in that regard.
Resident Chimp
Old Jun 26th, 2005, 11:26 AM       
I don't think it's possible to come to any kind of understanding with her. She suffers from illogical logic and doesn't like confronting her problems, so she and I never talked. I'd probably have more success talking to a stone, unfortunately.
Mocker

Old Jun 27th, 2005, 04:40 PM       
Sounds like it was mostly physical, then.

Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 12:40 AM       
haha
Resident Chimp
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 01:17 AM       
LOL.
Mocker
thebiggameover is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 07:21 AM       
maybe its because your used to being all up on her, so when you saw her your brain was all "grab her boob". like thats what made you feal all self-conscious, because you didnt want to do something that you were used too....

or something....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yggdrasill
The same reason I don't hit kids, i'm not 100% sure thier mine.
Resident Chimp
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:35 AM       
Genius.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:07 PM       
I more disturbed that a University Department had a "pig roast." What the fuck is that? Did they actually have a dead beast rotating over an open flame?

My only theory is - since it was a Computer Science thing, she was probably the only girl there. That was why you were looking at her. It had nothing to do with the fact you knew her, it was merely because she was the only person there without a penis.
was never good
Chojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contestChojin won the popularity contest
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 10:37 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
I more disturbed that a University Department had a "pig roast." What the fuck is that? Did they actually have a dead beast rotating over an open flame?
I mean, come on!
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 12:08 AM       
There was a pig roast in the center of my town last saturday as part of "frome festival".

Yes it was a pig and yes it was rotating... or mabey it wasn't. I forget.
Royal Tenenbaum is probably a spambot
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 09:06 AM       
I don't have a problem with it. It's just a bit strange for an event with some sort of connection to academia.
Resident Chimp
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 09:30 AM       
Yes, there was a pig. It wasn't on a spit, though. It arrived pre-cooked in a Hutterite van. It was also delicious.
Mocker

Old Jul 9th, 2005, 12:01 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Tenenbaum
I don't have a problem with it. It's just a bit strange for an event with some sort of connection to academia.
It is a well known fact that all intellectuals are vegetarians.

Resident Chimp
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 12:43 PM       
Except for computer programmers. Our diet consists almost entirely of meat and beer.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 01:50 PM       
And caffine! dont forget caffine!