Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:22 PM        Jerry springer.. The opera.
What the f u ck. After all the controversy this is the most downright wierd progam i have ever seen in my life. I dont even know where to start talking about this. Did anyone else watch it?

Legion is probably a spambot
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:28 PM       
Heard about this a few years back, but didn't hear anymore about it since, didn't think they got it off the ground.

So I take it the songs were all about cheating spouses, inbreeding and trailer parks?
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:28 PM       
Ok seriously now... Jesus is played by a black, overweight guy and is gay. And he punches a woman in the face.

If this was ever shown on american TV there would be riots.
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:30 PM       
Well, jerry springer got shot by the KKK on his show and sent to hell where he meets a load of people from and show. and satan and jesus (as mentioned above).

Now they are singing about anal rape with barbed wire :/
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 07:54 PM       
holy fuc k. The actor who played jerry springer was david soul...

Starsky and hutch guy.
Mocker
Jixby Phillips is probably a spambot
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:30 PM       
THIS SOUNDS ABSOLUTELY CRAZY !!!!!
Hitler's Canoe!
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 09:34 PM       
you dont know the half of it!

Legion is probably a spambot
Old Jan 8th, 2005, 10:43 PM       
Oh come on now, it can't be that crazy.
Space Viking Repo Man
Zbu Manowar is probably a spambot
Old Jan 9th, 2005, 12:18 AM       
Oh please, it only gets weird if the Marquis De Sade comes in and his head explodes. Then I would give it weird, but only grudgingly.
Striped Tomato
Zebra 3 is probably a spambot
Old Jan 10th, 2005, 03:06 AM       
There's word that The Opera may move to Broadway this year. Anyways, many religious zealots protested over the BBC's presentation and this is a reply one of them got from the actor who stars as Jerry Springer.

Quote:
Dear Rev. Parsons,

Happy New Year to you and yours.""

I read with great interest your recent comments on the Dartford Baptist Church Website regarding BBC's airing of Jerry Springer - The Opera on 8th Jan 2005." If you will indulge me, I too, have a few comments I'd like to make in response.""

While I certainly applaud your right and the right of any group to protest the airing of Jerry Springer - The Opera (or any other show), I cannot agree that Jerry Springer - The Opera is "poor program content" or that by airing it, the BBC is somehow undermining its reputation or status as a broadcaster for ALL its viewers... though all of us have our problems with BBC programming at one time or another." I know, I sure do, if for different reasons.

I don't know if you've had anopportunity to see Jerry Springer - The Opera (you or members of your congregation are undoubtedly familiar with the TV show that spawned the opera) but if you haven't seen it, I think you should probably reserve your comments until you have." I will give you this." The "opera" is NOT for everybody." A lot of people may be out-raged by the language and what they perceive, in their dearly held ideas of what faith is "supposed to reflect", to be a tasteless and indecent show, bordering on blasphemy." That being the case, my suggestion would be that those who may be offended simply not tune in. They should watch something else.

Meanwhile, there are a lot of people out there who will vehemently disagree with you and for whom the "live" experience of Jerry Springer - The Opera at the Cambridge Theatre in London's West End has been an exciting, entertaining and profoundly moving theatrical experience... because it did challenge them to look at themselves and examine their faith.""

Jerry Springer - The Opera also won the Olivier, the Critics Circle Award, the Evening Standard Award and the What's On Stage Award for BEST MUSICAL." Its performers were singled out as Best Actor ( David Bedella ) and Best Supporting Actor (the Chorus)." The show has been recognized on many levels, not least in the fact that it challenges us to examine ourselves and our everyday hypocrisy and judgment of others. The music is sensational, the writing is clever and the underlying theme... the contemporary allegory, if you will... is provocative and is meant to be just that." In that sense, Jerry Springer - The Opera carries on the tradition of great theatre... to shake us up... to force us to take a look at ourselves." If the "opera" were poorly executed or pandering, which it is not, I might agree with some of your comments... however, that is not the case." It is a brilliantly conceived and executed piece of work... clever, funny, outrageous, incisive, dangerous, disturbing, entertaining and moving... and certainly one that challenges the arrogance by which we judge others. For whatever else you may imagine the play to be, thematically it demands from the audience a deeper understanding of the wrenching need within all of us to dream and to be acknowledged and loved... to count for something.""

You know, one of the pivotal points of the play is that Jerry ignores this need and in doing so abdicates responsibility for what happens to his guests... AFTER they appear on his show." In Act I of the play, Jerry brings guests onto his show ostensibly to get their secrets off their chests (to confess and come clean) but then, he leaves them dangling to deal with the aftermath (there is no resolution or absolution)." He uses his guests for his own ends." For him, it's enough that "my people" (he calls them) have their 15 minutes of fame and that they provide grist for the mill... his TV show." In the second half of the Opera, Jerry, who is mortally wounded at the end of Act I, shot by his disgruntled "warm-up man" (whom Jerry has fired from the show... "thrown out of heaven"), is called to accountability." In a medication-induced 'nightmare', Jerry is confronted by his former guests and then gets dragged down to hell, under threat of death, to do a show that is intended to resolve the conflict between "good" and "evil"." Satan also wants an apology from Jesus for having been thrown out of heaven ("off the show")." IMPOSSIBLE!" The characters who appeared as Jerry's "guests" in the first act, now become the very human faces of Satan,Jesus, Adam and Eve, Mary and finally God himself." Through them we see the flaws in ourselves as well as the pandering nature of those TV shows that trade on violating human dignity.

Are we such fragile believers that our "image" of God, Mary, Adam and Eve and Jesus cannot be challenged? Are we afraid that our faith will be undermined?" If we are then we are no more than hypocrites ourselves." Would you suggest that 160,000 have died and 5,000,000 are left homeless in south east Asia because God is angry or that 150,000 civilians are dead in Iraq because they didn't understand that the "good" guys were just trying to liberate them?" Is it really "good taste and decency", whatever that means in today's duplicitous world, that lead's us to salvation? That might be the self-justifying line followed by the Pharisees, but if we are "saved" by "decency" and"good taste", what need does the Christian have of Jesus Christ?" I would suggest that before making such an obvious, superficial judgement about the show, you should see it to understand the context and what the play is really confronting us with?" Then, make your judgment, based on its merits... or demerits."" In my opinion, Jerry Springer - The Opera is GREAT, affirming theatre!"

Let me leave you with Jerry's dying words... and yes, he does die at the end.

"It's been a helluvaday. I've learned there are no absolutes of good and evil and that we all live in a glorious state of flux." What can I say?" You're not looking at a dying man here... you're looking at yourselves in a matter of months or years or whatever." And for better or worse, history defines us by what we do and what we choose not to do." Hopefully, what will survive of us is love." So, until next time... take care of yourselves and each other."""

Finally, those words,"So until next time... etc.", that Jerry Springer himself uses at the end of each of his TV shows have a benedictory kind of resonance. Thank you for your time.

Best regards,

DAVID SOUL "Jerry Springer"

PS:" By the way, I come from a long, long line of preachers...both grandfathers, my dad, my brothers and my sister is a Professor of Theology... so I have wrestled with these issues all my life." They are difficult sometimes, I appreciate that... but I don't think we should judge or dismiss before we've seen and considered."