Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mütiilation is probably a spambot
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 01:31 AM        Ensiferum - s/t
I'd like to first state that if you want a real review go to www.metal-archives.com for this album. I've only reviewed an album once before (as you'd find on this site under the alias Lassoam) and it was awful heh. I still stand by that one though so as long as you get a general jist i guess i haven't failed.

I'll go through this album track by track but first an over view of the band. Its viking metal, but its got a power metal vibe throughout some of the songs (track two for example) and they use some acoustic guitar in a vein of scandinavian folk music. Pretty stuff, and the guy can do both clean and heavy vocals nicely.

Track 1 - Intro:

This song is an acoustic guitar (i assume) and then layered, its pretty and it developes throughout the song. Not much to be said about it, for it is just an intro

Track 2 - Hero in a Dream:

This song has a strong power metal vibe to it with one of the main riffs, but also it reminds me of the band Einherjer, a fellow viking metal band, because of the rhythm behind the lead, its got the same feel. Its one of the better songs on this album in my opinion.

Track 3 - Token of Time:

This track has an acoustic guitar acompaning it and its got a nice lead riff. The power metal has fused with a viking sound on this song and its a strong song (one you could bang your head to heh)

Track 4 - Guardians of Fate

when i first heard this song, it started out like a punk song, which angered me, but that was only 5 seconds and then the rest of the song was good i reckon.

Track 5 - Old Man (Väinämöinen i)

A slower tempoed song, but its got a nice riff to it. I liked it. Its got a nice sound to it.

Track 6 - Little Dreamer (Väinämöinen ii)

Another slower paced song, though it doesnt entirely sound like the previous one, despite the Väinämöinen connection. This one is slightly faster and has a more lead guitar presence

Track 7 - Abandoned

The tempo picks back up with this song, and its rhythm guitar sounds like something you'd expect out of einherjer. The chorus in this one goes slow, with acoustic guitar and clean vocals, but always picks back up. You might end up singing along if you hear it a few times i suppose.

Track 8 - Wind Rider

kind of a thrashy song, i really like the second half of the song. One of the better songs on this album.

Track 9 - Treacherous Gods

This is alot of the people whom i have shared this album with's favorite file. Its got a simple riff they bleed into the song and a chorus thats pretty... well i want to avoid the word "catchy" because i dont really think it fits when describing metal, but its something you're going to remember.

Track 10 - Eternal Wait

My absolute personal favorite song on this album, its got a wonderful intro to it using acoustic guitars in a 6/8 timing, and its got some of the better riffs and vocal arangments in this album. This song just plain sounds good.

Track 11 - Battle Song

another good one, its got a faster pace to it. It gets the stamp of approval.

track 12 - Goblins Dance

a fast pace song, sounds good -- proper use of keys in it, and the break down part in it is pretty good, its got a medieval vibe to it.

i suppose these are my subjective opinions so take that in mind, as you should any review, and that i'm a big fan of the whole viking metal scene as it stands anyway. But i feel that this album has a wide appeal value and alot of you might take this review to heart and check 'em out. I'll send you a file or two through AIM even if you're that curious though be forewarned im on a 56k heh. I won't send you the whole thing though, i expect people to continue buying albums in this day of pirating because you like the music and want to support it. I do.

Anyway -- enjoy.