Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Mocker
KevinTheOmnivore is probably a spambot
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 03:45 PM        GOP won't let Jersey honor Springsteen :(
I don't understand, if they'll pass a resolution honoring Bob Lafollette, Jr. (a very partisan figure in Wisconsin), than why can't Jersey honoe the boss? Good lord, if the boss is off the table, who's on, Bon Jovi???

http://www.commondreams.org/headlines05/1119-08.htm

Published on Saturday, November 19, 2005 by the Associated Press
Republicans Stop NJ Senators From Honoring Bruce Springsteen
by Donna De La Cruz

WASHINGTON - Bruce Springsteen famously was "born in the USA," but he's getting scorned in the U.S. Senate.

An effort by New Jersey's two Democratic senators to honor the veteran rocker was shot down Friday by Republicans who are apparently still miffed a year after the Boss lent his voice to the campaign of Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry.

The chamber's GOP leaders refused to bring up for consideration a resolution, introduced by Sens. Frank Lautenberg and Jon Corzine, that honored Springsteen's long career and the 1975 release of his iconic album, "Born to Run."

No reason was given, said Lautenberg spokesman Alex Formuzis. "Resolutions like this pass all the time in the U.S. Senate, usually by unanimous consent," he said.

Telephone calls to Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist's office seeking comment were not immediately returned.

Lautenberg said he couldn't understand why anyone would object to the resolution.

"Even if the Republicans don't like (Springsteen's) tunes, I would hope they appreciated his contributions to American culture," Lautenberg said.

Corzine said he, Lautenberg and other Americans appreciated Springsteen's contributions to American culture.

"We'll never surrender looking for ways to honor our local hero who made it big in this land of hopes and dreams," Corzine said.

Springsteen endorsed Kerry last year, and made campaign appearances that drew huge crowds who came to hear music described in the resolution as "a cultural milestone that has touched the lives of millions of people."

© 2005 Associated Press

###
Mocker
ziggytrix is probably a spambot
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:34 PM       
I know they're nothing new, but I think resolutions like that one are a sign that Congress needs to be demoted and have their pay reduced, like you would a guy who spends all day at work goofing off on the internet.
Mocker
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 04:37 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggytrix
like you would a guy who spends all day at work goofing off on the internet.
This is why I'm at work on a Saturday.
Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:42 PM       
I dunno, when there are so many more important things, I think that something 'just for fun' like this is a little silly. Its dissapointing that something innocent as this comes off as party rivalry though.
Mocker
El Blanco is probably a spambot
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:52 PM       
Another instance in which I have no idea why either side is willing to fight over it.
Mocker
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 05:53 PM       
Well that's sort of the funny thing about it.

As pointless as this stuff seems, most legislative bodies do it. And unless it's really controversial, it tends to pass without a word said.

This just shows how divided the officials in DC truly are. I don't believe that this is the most partisan we've ever seen the nation (uh, hello, Civil War?), but I think this may be the most divided the actual elected officials and parties have ever been.
ineffable

sadie is probably a spambot
Old Nov 19th, 2005, 08:56 PM       
i remember my tenth-grade english teacher telling us about having gone to "the boss's" concert, when "born in the usa" was just out, i believe. she said all she could think about was "grabbing that tight ass."

strange to hear from your english teacher, yes, but not abnormal for her. she had been in a wheel chair since a wreck since the night of her senior prom, but she told us her paralysis didn't stop her from peeing in a bottle on the way home from a club one night when she and her friends were too drunk to stop the car.