Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 03:21 PM        For Your Amusement
The latest editorial submitted to the paper, by a self-declared expert on music. I assume this is what the majority of mainstream people think.

Quote:
The type of music a person listens to not only reflects their personal style, but also their values and life experiences. Consider what you listened to four or five years ago as opposed to what is currently on your playlist. A particular musical genre reflects where you are in your life as well as shows what values you feel are most important. For example, the probability of the average high school freshman listening to Manu Chao is about as low as a 35-year-old woman listening to Slipknot. There are always exceptions to this rule as you may identify in examples listed below.

Indie Rock
The stereotyped explanation of this genre is as follows “Usually a favorite among pasty college students in the Pacific Northwest, it is known for its lack of integrity in instrumentation.” While I am a pasty college kid from the Pacific Northwest, not everyone who likes indie is. There is a lot to indie rock that makes it appealing to a large group of people. First, the emphasis on being a mellow and fully realized person is higher than in a genre like post-alternative (a.k.a. hard rock) where one is encouraged to thrash about in a textbook outcry of angst. Second, it is a type of music that appeals to geeks and nerds who don’t fit the image of the Incubus masses.
It is easy to see why indie is popular during college, as it is a time for learning not only about the outside world but learning about oneself. Indie itself is very experimental and comes in many forms. Some bands that have hit the mainstream, but still maintain some relationship with their indie roots include The Shins, Modest Mouse, and Death Cab for Cutie.

Post-Alternative Teens, and their Twenty-Something Counterparts
Think Staind, Mastodon, and Linkin Park. Those you normally associate with this genre wear band t-shirts, have greasy hair and generally walk around with a less-than-jubilant attitude. However, many people from various walks of life listen to the angst-driven mainstream rock artists that are popular today. A big reason why post-alternative is so popular is due to the fact that it provides a catharsis for people who are dealing with personal problems such as dysfunctional families or problems at work. For some, it is just a good way to be aggressive in a socially acceptable manner.
Many fans of this genre are usually in a transition and offshoots of post-alternative are good avenues to mellow their musical preferences a bit. System of a Down is hard rock but has social commentary relevant to modern life, and even older artists such as Nirvana can provide a new outlet while introducing a new sound and technique to expand one’s musical horizons.

“Scene” Rock

People who don’t quite buy in to the indie scene or identify with post-alternative turn to another genre within rock. Fall Out Boy, My Chemical Romance, and The Killers are all examples of the all-important image is everything scene. This genre does not speak to people who are contemplative about certain aspects of society but appeals more to those who stray slightly from the mainstream so as to create an identity separate from the whole. You think of Scene kids as the ones who shop at Hot Topic for pink and black striped t-shirts to match their new shoes, but that isnt always the case. The best part about this type of music is that it is fun, upbeat and it doesn’t take itself too seriously. It isn’t crying out for an explanation and it is relatively easy to listen to. Don’t kid yourself when you say you’ve never liked a HelloGoodbye song, because everyone you know does too, they just refuse to confess.
Music preferences change, and you may find yourself asking a few years from now why you would have ever been caught dead llistening to a certain genre. People ask me all the time once they look through my CD collection. I never throw anything out and I am certainly not above listening to Lit or Buckcherry if the mood strikes me. It is the same for a portrait, once you like it for one reason, you will always see a certain quality in it, even if you change.
These are the only existing genres of music, by the way.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 03:25 PM       
Send the guy who wrote that this:
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 03:36 PM       
I don't even know if she knows who Dream Theatre is. (Not that that's a loss).

I like how Mastodon is the same type of music as Linkin Park. You should have seen the hilarious shitstorm it generated with the rest of our writers.
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 03:43 PM       
Oh yeah, Mastadon and Linkin Park are TOTALLY the same thing, because MTV tells us so.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 03:44 PM       
My current favourite albums are Britney Spears' Blackout, Gogol Bordello' Super Taranta, Sons and Daughters' The Gift, Black Sabbath's Heaven and Hell & Gunther's Pleasureman.
Egg
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 03:53 PM       
Does that make you "Scene Rock" or a "Post-Alternative something"?
Use terms we can understand, the editorial author has clearly stated that what you speak of does not exist my dear Pubbles.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 04:11 PM       
Exactly what I meant! I'm so confused! What is my label? Who am I? That articles helps me not at all.

Also I'm a pasty nerd that walks around with a less-than-jubilant attitude while looking for some pink and black striped t-shirts to match my new shoes.

Am I Post-Alternative Indie Scene Rock? I JUST DON'T KNOW!
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Feb 7th, 2008, 05:20 PM       
Quote:
System of a Down is hard rock but has social commentary relevant to modern life
Feel the guilt
Fat_Hippo is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 11:34 AM       
"The type of music a person listens to not only reflects their personal style, but also their values and life experiences."

Huh? What, so because I like ACDC's songs about hell and evil in general best, does that make me a bloodthirsty satanist? Or does liking R.E.M.'s song "Shiny Happy People" a ridiculously happy stoner ('Cause there's no denying that song is drug-inspired)? And so on and so forth...
He speaks truth!
Styled Executioner is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 04:43 PM       
What category does Necrophagist fall under? 'Indie' or 'Hard Rock'. I just can't decide, it's too hard!
Ancient Mariner
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM       
PART TWO

Quote:
With the impending recession, car payments, insurance payments, and all of the other ways that money seems to elude us, buying new albums is pretty much on the bottom of the list. So, while scraping together enough change for another day’s lunch, I decided it was time to look into my (and my boyfriend’s) old CD collection for some of my favorites.

The Presidents of the United States of America
The Presidents’ self titled debut has a quirky take on story-telling with “Lump” and “Peaches” being the two tracks that have made the band famous. Cringe if you will, but The Presidents’ music will always make your inner child want to run around drunken and screaming “Lump sat alone in a boggy marsh!”

Machine Go Boom -Thank You Captain Obvious
Painfully indie, this album is everything that was good about Blur (there were good things, I promise) but takes it to the level that only indie bands are awarded. Little regard for catchy phrases and marketability allowed Machine Go Boom to sound like bratty punks while maintaining good songwriting. Often compared to Violent Femmes and the Pixies, this is a great CD to listen to if you wish you still had striped sweaters and black plastic framed glasses.

Beck – The Information
Every album Beck has ever made sounds slightly alike, but they never really are exactly alike. The Information is reminiscent of the David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust space alien years. Where Guero took a stranger, more absurd approach, The Information is darker and very nearly tells the story of a disaffected musician but contains two of my favorite Beck songs: “Nausea” and “Think I’m in Love”. If you bought the album, you already know it comes with great stickers that will speak to your grade-school Lisa Frank/Trapper Keeper sensibilities.

Radiohead-O.K. Computer
Undeniably one of the best albums of the nineties, O.K. Computer is a slow, lavishly difficult album about the ways machines dehumanize people. When it was first released, Radiohead was compared to Pink Floyd a lot because of the theme and also the delivery of each song. With all Radiohead albums, each song is layered with different sounds to make up an entire presentation that evokes a certain thought or emotion. The most well-known single of the album is “Karma Police” but it isn’t as strange as the track that follows it. “Fitter, Happier” is spoken in a robotic voice about a man who has made his life better through becoming a “productive member of society”.

Records to steal from your parents:
Rolling Stones – Let It Bleed
Let It Bleed was the Rolling Stones’ final great take on the blues (“Love In Vain”) and country (“Country Honk”) that had inspired them to make music in the first place. Most of the tracks that made the Rolling Stones an iconic rock band are included on this album such as “You Can’t Always Get What You Want” and “Midnight Rambler”. It is definitely a great album to find and hang on to for a long time.

The Clash – London Calling
This might be in the collection of a younger aunt or an older brother and it is one of the most influential rock albums of all time. With their roots in the British punk scene, one might have expected The Clash to die down as the movement slowed, but they expanded their sound to one that would cry out for social and political change. Although it is very leftist, anyone can listen to this as a rock album and enjoy every single track.

Jimi Hendrix-Are You Experienced?
There’s an interesting saying that goes Pete Townshend (The Who) raped the guitar but Jimi Hendrix made love to his. It’s hard to imagine the music that Hendrix made sounding great if anyone else had played it. He did everything wrong but it all sounded so amazing. There are three of his most-played tracks on this album: “Hey Joe”, “Purple Haze” and “Foxey Lady”. My favorite track is a quiet, reflective song called “The Wind Cries Mary”.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 09:11 PM       
Wow, this guy sounds like a Tool.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 12:49 AM       
It's a girl, cut her some slack.
kitatsdiuqil
liquidstatik is probably a spambot
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM       
girsl can never know real music
Ancient Mariner
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 01:24 PM       
She put a Barf Brooks station on my internet radio today
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 02:34 PM       
At the risk of revealing McSweeney's as the true source of my power, I'll link to this because it seems rather relevant.
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2008/4/10evers.html

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Ancient Mariner
Old Apr 14th, 2008, 03:08 PM       
How

did I not know about that site
Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Apr 15th, 2008, 11:01 PM       
Anyone who likens Mastodon to a shit band like Linkin Park should be dragged across a giant cheese grater and thrown into a vat of lemon juice.
Creepy Old Fart
JediScum is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 12:01 AM       
When I woke up today, I listened to tracks from The Cult's "Sonic Temple", Faith No More's "The Real Thing", and Yello's "Essential".

That was before I hit YouTube.

Records to steal from your parents...

Anything by Blondie or ABBA
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Apr 16th, 2008, 01:13 AM       
I think the only record I considered stealing from my parents is "Snoopy and the Red Baron" (one side of the vinyl is all Christmas songs!), but I do have enough respect for my father to not ever let him listen to Filter's cover of Three Dog Night's "One".

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
YOU GUYS ARE DOING GREAT
Rez is probably a spambot
Old May 8th, 2008, 08:03 PM       
so whats the mood today

surgeon - this is for you shits
sigur ros - takk
pan sonic - katodivaihe
junior senior - d-d-dont stop the beat