Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Art
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Now with less sodium!

Immortal Goat is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 06:27 PM        New illustrations (Now with a tablet)
I know some of you are still going to say "Don't use Flash for your drawings", but whatever. It's what I'm going to use. That's what it's for. So just critique with that in mind. Also, it isn't complete yet. I have some more shading to do.

Slim Goodbody
Supafly345 is probably a real personSupafly345 is probably a real person
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 06:34 PM       
A stylus is wasted on flash, unless you use photoshop or a similar program that can simulate an enviroment where drawing something good is possible, you wasted your money.

And a flash drawing should look like this-> http://www.i-mockery.net/viewtopic.php?t=14583
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 06:40 PM       
Nice bragging there, bastard. I have not had nearly as much time with flash as you obviously have, and all you can do in my thread where I am looking for guidance is to say "Haha, I'm better than you!" Tell me. Does it make you feel good to brag about your own stuff in a thread by someone who is relatively new to this stuff? If you want to criticise, then do so constructively. Until then, fuck off.
Banned
FartinMowler sucks
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 06:45 PM       
Why did you put a tree behind the brown wings? it's ok..I like the hands for some reason.
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 06:48 PM       
I only made the background to show the transparency of the wing skin. The placement was completely coincidental.
Slim Goodbody
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 08:07 PM       
What animal crapped in your water dish? If you weren't so busy stamping your feet over my supieriority you would notice I gave you the best advice that you could recieve here: Flash=crap drawings.
If, you'll take notice, my drawing has very little good drawing in it, but tons of cut and pasting. And it woulden't hurt for you to try and observe how people make good things in flash. If you insist so much on using your awesome stylus in this horrible drawing program, then I might as well do what I can.

Tip #1: Do not use the stylus pressure modifier. It is so uncontrolable that you will not have a single smooth line in your drawing as it is constantly changing size.

Tip #2: Convert everything into symbols. They are much easier to manipulate then, and can be edited by double clicking them.

Tip #3: To make something look good in flash you must use computer art methods. Using the same image repeatedly for instance, fading an image slightly and placing it over a copy of itself slightly off-center to make it look blurry, use gradients (tastefully) on everything you need more than 2 colors to shadow, ect.

Tip #4: Finding the right color for something is incredibly hard, try samplinging the colors from currently existing images on your computer or the web to make color-selecting much easier.

Tip #5: Using the modify>smooth selection you can make lines of fills much easier to deal with. If using it fixes one part of your fill, but completely obliterates another part, you can highlight specific parts to take care of that. And if you zoom in and then smooth, the smoothing will be more presice.

Tip #6: Go through every damn tutorial and read the entire help file. That is how I appear much more expirenced in flash than you, when I barely know anything about it. (psst, its because I hate it)\

There, I normally don't respond to temper tantrums, but this is for the sake of whoever looks at your drawings.
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 08:29 PM       
i agree with supa. he knows what he's talking about because he owns a stylus, and uses it very well. seriously though... he did try to help you there, he was just making sure you didn't get the impression that he thought you did a good job.

use a stylus for what it's worth. use it with a crack of photoshop, or something of similar nature. and don't constantly use the same image and flip it to get a full face or two good hands. you clearly need the practice of drawing, so draw both. you're just cheaping out, and you're stifling the artistic ability you already have.

on a side note: i don't like you that much, but since you asked for critiques, i'm giving them to you. don't throw a temper tantrum like you did to supa, or i'm never making a constructive comment on anything of yours again. you've done it to me before, and it pissed me off royally. i take time out to make these posts, especially in art shit.
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 08:43 PM       
Listen, I didn't mean to sound like I was throwing a temper tantrum. I have no problems with you OR Supafly. I was just a little pissed off that all he said was "Don't use a stylus like that. Here, look at MY stuff" instead of telling me what I needed to do to get my drawings to look like his do. If he really wanted to help me, he should have said something more along the lines of "Hey, since you are using a stylus, why don't you try THIS instead. It works better, for me at least." I only just bought this tablet, and I'm not used to all the little tricks it can do.

And as for you not liking me that much and me pissing you off, I am sorry about that. I just prefer a little more help if you guys think that my drawings aren't up to snuff.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 11:03 PM       
Aside from the tablet stuff the choice of brown wings infront of a brown tree is awkward and confusing. You didn't finish/start shading that clothes when the face the bottom of the tree have shading. The head is unproportianal to the body and the arms are in such a position that it looks like the wings start from the small of the back at first. In all honesty it doesn't look like you finished this drawing :/
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 11:28 PM       
Actually, the wings DO start from the small of his back. That's what I was going for. And I said it wasn't done yet.
Slim Goodbody
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 11:33 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal Goat
Actually, the wings DO start from the small of his back. That's what I was going for. And I said it wasn't done yet.
No they don't, from the picture I can distinctly see part of the wings in between his arms and his body already above the small of his back and rising. It looks like they reach the middle back right before the apex of the arch.
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 19th, 2004, 11:34 PM       
Well, maybe not the small of his back, but I wanted them below his shoulder blades.
Mocker
ScruU2wice is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2004, 11:51 PM       
also you might want to add some slack to the wings since they are contracted right now. When you spread them out they will get wider and when you retract them they will curl up or something, it's up to you what you want to happen. another thing kinda eating away at me is that the forearm is so much longer than the upper arm. And for a semi realistic body I don't like the cartoonish face at all.

Anonymous is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:58 AM       
Use illustrator, paint shop, or photoshop, you fuck.
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 06:35 PM       
seconded, with less of this you fuck business
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:01 PM       
I have photoshop, and I am downloading Illustrator. If someone would be so kind as to give me a quick runthrough on how I should do my illustrations in those programs, it would be much appreciated.
ThisIsWitty is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 07:32 PM       
What ever happened to pencil and paper?
CHIEF OF POLICE
MLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty okMLE is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:45 PM       
What ever happened to you shutting up?
Keg Whore
EisigerBiskuit is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2004, 08:47 PM       
oooooooo Illustrator is soooo good. I mean I downloaded it before, but I just now opened it. Now I can make suns and clouds in style!
Old Sep 21st, 2004, 09:00 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLE
What ever happened to you shutting up?
What ever happened to you not being a buttery cunt?

subterfuge is probably a spambot
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 02:29 AM       
Corel Painter 8 is the best for showing off your new draw pad. I've had one for about 3 years now, and Painter8 definitely shows off its pressure settings the best. Even better than Photoshop. Corel sorta went in with Wacom technology to customize their program to the settings of the stylus. This was done in a few hours in Painter: http://www.everythinggoodwastaken.com/resume/dig32.jpg
Now with less sodium!

Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 08:51 AM       
Thank you for the reccomendation, Subterfuge. Now if only I can find that program without having to pay... well, it seems that I am off to Suprnova once again.
CHIEF OF POLICE
Old Sep 22nd, 2004, 10:15 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsWitty
What ever happened to you not being a buttery cunt?
i'm only a cunt to people who should shut up.

and what the fuck do you mean by buttery?
Mocker

Helm is probably a spambot
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 12:33 AM       
Yeah, work different levels of colour and shading/highlights on differenet layers. Take advantage of the colour blending and opacity options photoshop provides. Avoid very soft edged brushes, something like 85% or so is a good idea. Work over a natural tone, not white. Go from general to specific, and from big brush volumes to small brush detail work. You'll get the hang of it, eventually.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:04 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLE

and what the fuck do you mean by buttery?

I MEAN YOUR FAT NOW SHUT UP