Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Movies & Television
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 12:56 AM        Coraline.
So I love this movie :D

I don't think the pacing was as good as it could have been near the end, but Nightmare Before Christmas was like that, too. The Other Apartment didn't get as nasty as I thought it should have, either. Those are my only complaints and they're really small ones.

Pretty fucking great movie. Go see it.
Insane Writer
ZeldaQueen is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 11:35 AM       
Haven't seen it yet, but I think it really looks good. A nice balance between darkly funny, bizzare, and plain scary (like how the ghost kids in the trailer were saying "She said she loved each of us...")

Anyway, the reviews look pretty good too. I'll probably be coming to see it next weekend or something similar.
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
You asked, Chief.
BLEU is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM       
I liked this story better when it was called The Thief of Always.
Insane Writer
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 07:56 PM       
Wah? That was the original title?
"I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing." "But," says Man, "The Babel fish proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own arguments, you don't." "Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanished in a puff of logic.
You asked, Chief.
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 08:07 PM       
Nevermind.

I thought the movie was O.K. Better than the book, even. I don't think the addition of Wybie was needed though. Go see it, everyone. It's not like you have anything better to do.
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 08:38 PM       
DEAR TIM BURTON;

STOP MAKING MOVIES.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM       
Tim Burton wasn't involved with it though :<

Although yeah, he should
Insane Writer
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 10:16 PM       
I like Tim Burton's work (except for Charlie and the Chocolate Factory)

I can't wait for his version of Alice in Wonderland.

But yeah, I heard that the character of Wybie was put in so that Coraline could have someone to explain things to (rather than go around talking to herself).
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 10:39 PM       
frappez le cochon rouge
Fathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contestFathom Zero won the popularity contest
Old Feb 7th, 2009, 11:21 PM       
I take it back, then. I don't hate Burton, I hate anything this Hot Topic-going crowd lauds. Fuck it all.

Goddamnit, I have no idea what this movie is about but it looks entirely unappealing to me.
Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 12:11 AM       
Neil Gaiman wrote the book, if that's worth anything to you.
frappez le cochon rouge
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 12:33 AM       
THAT'S WHO I WAS THINKING OF. Okay.

Yeah, he's another example of me getting pissed off at somebody because everybody and their gay uncle tells me how good he/she is.
You asked, Chief.
Old Feb 8th, 2009, 12:46 AM       
Gaiman is ridiculously overrated. Sandman's really the best thing that's ever come out of that tousled Jewish head.
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 12:18 PM       
i liked the nightmare before christmas and i wanna watch this but i don't have time

SANTO el enmascarado de plata
Insane Writer
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 05:54 PM       
Never read any of Gaiman's other stuff, though my one friend loves Sandman. I only read Coraline because I found it at a Scholastic Book Fair in middle school.
Mocker
Ant10708 is probably a spambot
Old Feb 9th, 2009, 11:12 PM       
Did you see it in 3D?
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:39 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLEU View Post
I liked this story better when it was called The Thief of Always.
Awww, FUCK you for calling it first

Yeah, I loved the bejeezus out of all this guy's work but all I could think of was how badly he needed to go Barker instead of Gaiman

We're never gonna see Rictus animated man, not never, someone's just gonna go with all that Abarat shit
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 03:06 PM       
How exactly is Coraline a rip off of The Thief of Always? I mean if you count the fact that the main characters are children and they wander away from home looking for fun then.... just about every story with a child as the main character is the same.
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 03:23 PM       
Don't recall saying it was a ripoff, but the Thief of Always was a far better take on incredibly similar material, done seventeen years earlier. BUT, I can't resist a stupid comment, so:

A Brief Synopsis of the Thief of Always
A magical, monstrous creature turns out to be the main force behind various grinning, dust-filled entities whisking away children to a magical dream house where every wish comes true, while feeding off of their lives. The entrance to this house is disguised as a brick wall when adults are around. The children that had entered this place earlier are now trapped forever as pale fish. In order to beat the entity, the main character first escapes, then discovers that his parents are old and decrepit. He returns to challenge it to three games, destroying the dream world when it overexerts itself. In a surprise twist, the monster reconstructs himself as a tall, spindly monster and Harvey Swick finally defeats him by hurling him into the lake behind the house.

A Brief Synopsis of Coraline
A magical, monstrous creature turns out to be the main force behind various grinning, dust-filled entities whisking away children to a magical dream house where every wish comes true, while feeding off of their lives. The entrance to this house is disguised as a brick wall when adults are around. The children that had entered this place earlier are now trapped forever as button-eyed ghosts. In order to beat the entity, the main character first escapes, then discovers that her parents trapped in the dream world. She returns to challenge it to a game: Find three souls and her parents. With each find, she destroys the dreamworld. In a surprise twist, the monster is revealed as a tall, spindly, spiderlike monster and Coraline finally defeats her by hurling the key into the well behind the house.

Nah, the only similarity is that they have to do with kids.
LOVES the tubal ligation!
Dimnos is probably a real personDimnos is probably a real person
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 04:21 PM       
My mistake. I thought someone was saying it was basically a rip off.
filthiest soap dish
Babs is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 04:25 PM       
Coraline is a complete pile of shit and Burton is a has-been. For the record, don't compare Barker to Burton, that's like comparing gold to piss.
SKATASTIC
10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest10,000 Volt Ghost won the popularity contest
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 07:01 PM       
Like a golden shower?
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 07:04 PM       

"Thank you, Mayor Simpson. Because of you, we're all taking golden showers!"
Ancient Mariner
Old Feb 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM       
Tim Burton had absolutely nothing to do with Coraline, numbnuts
taco loving zombie
darkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty okdarkvare is probably pretty ok
Old Feb 18th, 2009, 09:44 AM       
is the thief of always where the main character is blonde?

SANTO el enmascarado de plata