Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drugs+drugs+rock+roll
Guitar Woman is probably a real personGuitar Woman is probably a real person
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM       
Ok, but Ghost in the Shell is at least about the integration of technology and the human race, as well as the problems arising from such, which relates to this thread probably slightly more than Han Solo fighting renegade robots.

For clarity's sake I'm not talking about the TV series, which is only slightly worse than watching an abortion being performed.
☆☆☆☆☆
Tadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contestTadao won the popularity contest
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 05:20 PM       
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 07:41 PM       
so has anybody brought up the sirens of titan yet the robots in that are totally transhumaned!
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 07:48 PM       
Never read it but it's on my list.
BANNED

kahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contestkahljorn won the popularity contest
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:11 PM       
it's an alright book but i thought that part about the robot was awesome ;9
OH GOD
executioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contestexecutioneer won the popularity contest
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 10:52 PM       
Tirelessly, I will work to strip away the barriers that keep living beings from realizing their full potential.
Queen of the Beasts
Jeanette X is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:15 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianStereotype View Post
So are there any transhumanists in the ranks? Not sure what a transhumanist is? EDUCATE YOURSELF

In order to be a transhumanist, one must accept the idea of the technological singularity. Basically, the singularity represents the point in technological advancement where there is nothing that humanity can do that AI cannot do for itself, including self-improvement. It's almost like Skynet. Acheiving this is an important evolutionary step for humanity, though it may seem difficult to understand why. Ultimately, this will change the course, but not the direction, of evolution.

A transhumanist desires above all else to be more than human. Only once we've reached the singularity will we really understand how to pursue this end. We've already begun dabbling in at our relatively primitive stage of advancement, but most of us don't realize it. Artificial organs, retinal implants, our constant connection to AI in one form or another, all of these and more represent a massive paradigm shift towards a posthuman culture. Eventually, we will be able to able to integrate technology and biology to the point where we can transcend the human condition and quite possibly overcome even involuntary death.

Sooooo, what's up, guys? How is your day going?
Transhumanism all sounds rather masturbatory to me, frankly. Besides, evolutionary success is not measured by the complexity of the organism, it is measured by the ability of the organism to surivive and reproduce, or at least that was my understanding of it. Furthermore, what are the parameters that define "human" in the first place that must be overcome?
BANNED

Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:30 AM       
jeanette x i think the point of this thread is that science fiction and technologu and nanotechnologu and also quantum mechanics.

the internet

that's the point ok
Oozes machismo
pac-man is probably a spambot
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:36 AM       
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXpbrGBIGxw

Now that's transhumanism!
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 03:22 AM       
I've had that song in my head all day because of this thread.

Queen of the Beasts
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 01:24 PM       
Aww. I seriously wanted to debate transhumanism. Dammit.
Näyttelijäbotti!
Pub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty okPub Lover is probably pretty ok
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 06:59 PM       
Then your first statement that it was just wanking was a pretty stupid move.

Even if you do hold jacking off in high esteem.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Sep 20th, 2008, 10:42 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Lover View Post
Then your first statement that it was just wanking was a pretty stupid move.
Well why doesn't anyone come charging in to prove my deliberately outrageous statement wrong?!
BANNED

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 12:27 AM       
ok here's an example for example did evolution for example plan to create human beings who build buildings and have complex social situations and internet message boards?

if so, isn't it also possible it also had in mind lol us becoming some kind of ROBOT SUPERMEN?
Queen of the Beasts
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 01:03 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahljorn View Post
ok here's an example for example did evolution for example plan to create human beings who build buildings and have complex social situations and internet message boards?

if so, isn't it also possible it also had in mind lol us becoming some kind of ROBOT SUPERMEN?
Your question operates on the presupposition that evolution is "planning" something, like a conscious entity, which it does not. Evolution is shaped by outside environmental forces, which are rather unpredictable.
Antagonistic Tyrannosaur
Sethomas is probably a spambot
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 01:13 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanette X View Post
evolutionary success is not measured by the complexity of the organism, it is measured by the ability of the organism to surivive and reproduce, or at least that was my understanding of it.
The problem with this statement, while 100% correct in certain vantages, is that it seems to set a universal standard of "evolutionary success" that is incoherent with the idea of passing such a judgment that evolution "succeeds". That is, evolution itself has no reason to CARE whether or not it is successful because as a mere statistical model that describes the process of speciation it really doesn't bear any emotional or rational judgment. If evolution guides a species one direction to benefit a generation, only humans would say "evolution has succeeded." Likewise, when the same adaptation encounters an evolutionary bottleneck where it actually sees to the demise of all those who have it, evolution doesn't have a voice to say, "oh shit, I failed".

Hence, in this context "evolutionary success" a purely anthropocentric judgment as it ever shall be, but in relation to an anthropentric motion then axiomatically it reduces to "whatever we think is a good thing".

Thus, your question of what it is about being human (as we now know it) that sucks so fantastically becomes more relevant than the goal of excluding ourselves from a definition that would recognize it.

SETH ME IMPRIMI FECIT
Queen of the Beasts
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 01:31 AM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethomas View Post
The problem with this statement, while 100% correct in certain vantages, is that it seems to set a universal standard of "evolutionary success" that is incoherent with the idea of passing such a judgment that evolution "succeeds". That is, evolution itself has no reason to CARE whether or not it is successful because as a mere statistical model that describes the process of speciation it really doesn't bear any emotional or rational judgment. If evolution guides a species one direction to benefit a generation, only humans would say "evolution has succeeded." Likewise, when the same adaptation encounters an evolutionary bottleneck where it actually sees to the demise of all those who have it, evolution doesn't have a voice to say, "oh shit, I failed".

Hence, in this context "evolutionary success" a purely anthropocentric judgment as it ever shall be, but in relation to an anthropentric motion then axiomatically it reduces to "whatever we think is a good thing".
So? Transhumanism is anthropocentric, why should it matter if "evolutionary success" is an anthropoocentric judgement? This just seems like a needless disgression.

Quote:
Thus, your question of what it is about being human (as we now know it) that sucks so fantastically becomes more relevant than the goal of excluding ourselves from a definition that would recognize it.
I'm not sure I follow. Are you agreeing with me that the definition of what is human to begin must be established before transhumanism can be strived for? I'm so fucking tired right now I can barely think, this had better make more sense tommorow morning.
BANNED

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 02:59 AM       
yea, that was kind of the response i was expecting you to have and my response is that you then assume evolution is the all encompassing factor in life -- and evolution as is understood by only some people.

and furthermore, disregarding the idea of "planning," there's always the idea of not planning and it just happening ; did evolution really ever plan anything? no but it happened obviously they can exist along side each other, assuming we transhumaned... Also, the change from biological to mechanical or some mixture would certainly mark some CHANGE which, from further scientists minds living in the wake of such events, if evolution were still believed in, would have to mark some evolutionary event and certainly an evolutionary POSSIBILITY.

finally, the idea of evolution being influenced by "outside forces" encompasses this since technology is kinda outside us but can be placed inside us! whether "planned" or merely demanded by the possibilities of the world or whatever...

my example still stands you just attacked my word usage.

Quote:
Besides, evolutionary success is not measured by the complexity of the organism, it is measured by the ability of the organism to surivive and reproduce, or at least that was my understanding of it. Furthermore, what are the parameters that define "human" in the first place that must be overcome?
How can you measure things like successes if there's no plan to be sucessful based on? iin this case, survival would be increased manifoldly, more than likely, by the switch to mechanical life. indeed, life could perhaps be extended indefinitley!

The parameters in this case would obviously be mostly biological, and over-coming biological limitations -- through technologu.

Last edited by kahljorn : Sep 21st, 2008 at 05:19 AM.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 11:19 AM       
Quote:

How can you measure things like successes if there's no plan to be sucessful based on? iin this case, survival would be increased manifoldly, more than likely, by the switch to mechanical life. indeed, life could perhaps be extended indefinitley!

The parameters in this case would obviously be mostly biological, and over-coming biological limitations -- through technologu.
Yeah, but are we really psychologically equipped to live forever?
BANNED

Old Sep 21st, 2008, 02:34 PM       
I don't know but couldn't technology potentially equip us with something like that? Also immortality isn't really central to anything I'm saying and I don't appreciate you coping out! the point is that technology could certainly allow us to "survive" better, thus fitting into whatever evolutionary perspective you have.

People could still choose to end their lives rationally, if immortality became such a hell.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 09:56 PM       
Quote:
Also immortality isn't really central to anything I'm saying and I don't appreciate you coping out!.
I wasn't copping out, you're the one who brought it up. Besides, clinical immortality seems like it would cause society to stagnate. If there are immortals, then there are by neccessity fewer children because of the resources they take up, and therefore very few new modes of thinking.

Quote:
the point is that technology could certainly allow us to "survive" better, thus fitting into whatever evolutionary perspective you have.
It already does that. What difference does it make if it is incorperated into the body or not? Why does having it in your body somehow cause you to transcend your own humanity?
Näyttelijäbotti!
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:02 PM       
Have you started to seriously debate like you said you wanted, or are you still making deliberately outrageous stupid statements?

Because I can't tell.
Queen of the Beasts
Old Sep 21st, 2008, 10:49 PM       
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pub Lover View Post
Have you started to seriously debate like you said you wanted, or are you still making deliberately outrageous stupid statements?

Because I can't tell.
BANNED

Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:27 AM       
possibly, but like I said, people can still choose to die rationally, and it's possible that technologu could eradicate the resources problem. Wouldn't part of the point of replacing many organs and becoming near immortal or whatever (which I only used as an example to over-coming a limitation generally thought of as human) be that it takes less resources?

or like rebirth or something i dunno there's ideas! (which is i take it the point of ghost in the shell)

Quote:
What difference does it make if it is incorperated into the body or not? Why does having it in your body somehow cause you to transcend your own humanity?
cause human beings are biological and have brains. converting to mechanical is obviously way different than normal human beings.

i get what you're getting at with the whole WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO B E HUMAN thing but i think there's already set perimeters so ;o
Egg
Dixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's armyDixie has joined BAPE's army
Old Sep 22nd, 2008, 12:28 AM       
The atom germ wars gone precipitate genetic mutation
social degeneration
creatures born of malignant science
the children of technology
plutonium anthropology
who will cleanse the mess left by the past
who will expurgate the scared cytoplasm
to rid the earth of abomination I proclaim my nomination
as the thermonuclear warrior
Strands of malformed DNA strangulate our future
chromosomal executioners