Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Music
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old May 1st, 2007, 08:59 AM        What Now?
What's this I hear about the RIAA trying to "shut down internet radio"? Anyone know what specific legislation this is all about?
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:43 AM       
I think they basically said that all Internet radio stations will have to start paying far more royalties each time a person listens to a song. This would effectively shut down all US based stations as there would be no way of paying this amount of royalties.

There was some attempt to fight the new legislation but what with the RIAA having millions of dollars to spend on lawyers and the legal systems lack of understanding of all things technical, it didn't work.

The final twist to the story is that many Internet radio stations figured they could get around the legislation by only playing non-RIAA member tracks. Unfortunately the RIAA has the right to collect money regardless of who holds the copyright, assuming that the artist will collect the money from the RIAA at a later date. Which is some kind of bullshit I'm sure you'll agree.

Full Story
Ancient Mariner
Grislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contestGrislygus won the popularity contest
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:53 AM       
I wish I could say that this was surprising.
Hitler's Canoe!
MetalMilitia is probably a spambot
Old May 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM       
They didn't win the coveted "Worst Company in America" award for nothing.