Go Back   I-Mockery Forum > I-Mockery Discussion Forums > Philosophy, Politics, and News
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Will chop you good.
sspadowsky is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 10:50 AM        Tech sector helps ruin economy, or "Drop out of Comp Sc
It seems the technology giants are following in the footsteps of the manufacturers. Tech jobs are now making their way into the sweatshop arena. Fuck, and here I was going for a Computer Science degree.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
http://edition.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biz....ap/index.html

SAN JOSE, California (AP) -- Peter Kerrigan encouraged friends to move to Silicon Valley throughout the 1980s and '90s, wooing them with tales of lucrative jobs in a burgeoning industry.
But he lost his network engineering job at a major telecommunications company in August 2001 and remains unemployed. Now 43, the veteran programmer is urging his 18-year-old nephew to stay in suburban Chicago and is discouraging him from pursuing degrees in computer science or engineering.
"I told him, 'Unless you're planning to do this as a path to technical sales, don't do it,"' said Kerrigan, who lives in Oakland. "He won't be able to have a career designing and building stuff because all those jobs have moved to India."

Who's to blame?
Like many unemployed programmers, Kerrigan blames the sour labor market on offshore outsourcing -- the migration of tech jobs to relatively low-paid contractors or locally hired employees in India, China, Russia and other developing countries.

The hemorrhaging of tens of thousands of technology jobs in recent years to cheaper workers abroad is already a fact of life -- as inevitable, U.S. executives say, as the 1980s migration of Rust Belt manufacturing jobs to Southeast Asia and Latin America.
But a new wave of technology outsourcing -- involving tasks that involve greater skills -- could be cutting to the industry's bone, threatening to prolong the three-year U.S. economic downturn.

Strengthening foreign tech
Some who oppose the trend, which such industry stalwarts as Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Dell and Microsoft are embracing, believe it could even usher in the end of American domination in technology.

"We're giving countries like China and India the support they need to build up their technology industries, and the result could disadvantage us in the long run," said Phil Friedman, an electrical engineer and chief executive of New York-based Computer Generated Solutions, a 1,200-employee software company that targets the apparel industry.

"We outsourced electronics manufacturing. We're closing steel mills. Every week, 400,000 people file for new unemployment claims," said Friedman, a 54-year-old Ukrainian native who immigrated in 1976. "At the same time, we're shipping tech jobs offshore -- it's a shortsighted approach and cheats the American work force."

Cost-conscious executives have been shifting lower-level tech jobs in data entry and systems support abroad to cheaper labor markets for more than a decade. But now they are exporting highly paid, highly skilled positions in software development -- jobs that have been considered intrinsic to Silicon Valley and tech hubs such as Seattle; Boston; and Austin, Texas.

Russia project grows
Critics say it's the equivalent of exporting not just the automobile industry's assembly line jobs -- but the core engineering and car design jobs, too.

According to Forrester Research, companies in the United States and Europe will spend 28 percent of their information technology budgets on overseas work in the next two years.
Boeing, Dell and Motorola have opened software development centers in Russia. Intel employs 400 full-time Russian software research engineers and nearly 200 others in marketing and sales, wireless Internet access and modem projects.
Santa Clara-based Intel entered the Russian market with a small contract project three years ago. But within months, the world's largest chip maker hired all the programmers who write compiler software to optimize the microprocessors' performance, and opened the Russia Software Development Center in Nizhny Novgorod.
Some say sending jobs abroad may cause American tech workers' wages to stagnate.
According to the nonpartisan Economic Policy Institute, non-inflation-adjusted wages for tech workers grew 1.7 percent between the fourth quarter of 2001 and the fourth quarter of 2002 -- not enough to keep up with the period's inflation rate of 2.2 percent.

Cuts payroll and training costs
The average computer programmer in India costs $20 per hour in wages and benefits, compared to $65 per hour for an American with a comparable degree and experience, according to consulting firm Cap Gemini Ernst & Young.

But executives say outsourcing offers advantages beyond wage differences. Jean-Marc Hauducoeur, a senior vice president at Cincinnati-based human resources consulting firm Convergys, said his 47,000-employee company will employ 6,000 customer service representatives and network engineers in India by year's end.
Convergys' average technical employee in India stays on the job for nearly three years -- more than double the U.S. average, saving tens of thousands of dollars in recruitment and training per employee per year, he said.

Betting on the next big thing
Many U.S. corporate executives say they simply can't afford to overlook foreign computer workers -- especially in India, which produces roughly 350,000 college engineering graduates annually.
Others say the genius of American enterprise is its leaders' knack for envisioning the next big thing -- and workers' ability to redefine job roles and retrain. Americans pioneering developments in nanotechnology and biotech will have far more job security than simple programmers, they argue.

Bob Pryor, who heads the outsourcing practice of Cap Gemini Ernst & Young, said it's "naive" to think outsourcing software jobs could ruin America's tech dominance.

"The reality is that we live in a global economy and we compete against global players. We need to look at where we have strategic advantage -- whether it's resources or skills," Pryor said. "It frees up people and dollars to do much more value-added strategic things for clients."

Supporting globalization
Marcus Courtney, a former contract worker for Microsoft and Adobe Systems and president of the Washington Alliance of Technology Workers, said many tech workers understand and even endorse free trade and globalization.

They even enjoy living on the cutting edge -- taking courses in advanced computer languages, getting experience in a variety of business disciplines, and endorsing a philosophy of continuous improvement, he said.

But many find it tough to reconcile their macro-economic outlook with their own unemployment. "We need to move beyond the idea that individuals can simply cope and retrain," said Courtney, whose 275-member union is asking Congress to study and possibly regulate offshore outsourcing. "Workers need a voice over their economic future and a voice against the executives making these unilateral economic decisions."
Vibecrewangel is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:01 AM        Tech
And people wondered why I didn't go into that field when the boom happened.

Thank god I trusted my instincts.

I lost out on making a ton of money during the boom, but with the unemployment rate in Silcon Valley (some of my friends have been unemployed for almost 2 years) I think I may have come out ahead.

VinceZeb is probably a spambot
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 11:11 AM       
Supposedly a few companies are taking a stand and telling everyone that if keep outsourcing, we will get a replay of the rust belt.
Resident Chimp
AChimp is probably a real personAChimp is probably a real person
Old Jul 15th, 2003, 12:29 PM       
Sspad, I didn't know that you were going for a computer science degree, too!

Quote:
Others say the genius of American enterprise is its leaders' knack for envisioning the next big thing -- and workers' ability to redefine job roles and retrain. Americans pioneering developments in nanotechnology and biotech will have far more job security than simple programmers, they argue.
This is the big thing right here. North America has all the creativity right now, and will for the forseeable future. Some of my professors who are unrelated to computer science have said the same thing.

The Eastern mindset allows them to churn out the same thing over and over and over again very efficiently. Western philosophy promotes creating new ideas and change. The article mentions this a little bit at the end: when an Indian guy gets a computer job, that is ALL that he does. They aren't really training anyone for multiple tasks.

Besides, if our tech guys don't have to bother with the grunt work anymore, they can go on to other more interesting tasks. A little bit of regulation would be good, I think, but we have to be realistic about it.

Just to be safe, though, I'm one course away from completing a business minor.